Hello From Southern California!

Luke_T

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm Luke and I'm thrilled to be a member after browsing the forums a good several dozen times. I love fantasy and all its sub genres and I especially love getting to know the people behind the words. My current WIP is a standalone dark epic fantasy with a bit of time travel thrown in, but when I'm not doing that I'm masquerading as the assistant manager at my local bookstore, which means I'm doing my best to push titles (favorite part of the job, besides seeing repeat customers coming back in and telling me how much they loved my recommendation).

Anywho, looking forward to contributing as best I can. Happy writing, all! :)

Luke_T

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Luke! :welcome: What book are you currently pushing the hardest? :D

It depends on a few things (personal taste, what's getting buzz, what's not). Right now it's BLOOD REQUIEM by Chris Husberg (LOVED the first two installments, and Chris is a friend so I'm a bit biased), CITY OF LIES by Sam Hawke, and THE TRAITOR GOD by Cameron Johnston. I love recommending older titles as well, but I know how hard it is for authors to break in and I feel like if I can recommend and sell a debut title to customers that I'm doing my job well.

I've done various displays in the past during award season; I find that people in the area I work in are more likely to buy books that have won awards or have been nominated. I try to keep my displays pretty consistent, but like I said above, I like to switch them up every once in a while to draw customer interest.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
No dude, that's MY spirit animal. :D

Son name of Nate Dogg, 5yo cattle dog/GSD mix and a very good boi.

I work at Children's Book World in West LA & live in Ktown. Bookselling is hard work, I know there are a few others of us down in the trenches around here.

Luke_T

Registered
Reaction score
I have a 4-year old Walker coon hound/beagle mix and she is most certainly the goodest girl.

I think I've heard of you guys. I've definitely heard of The Last Bookstore because, well who hasn't? Always nice to see indie stores standing strong considering how many have closed.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh. My old girl was a beagle mix, beags are crazy.

It's hard for bookstores in the Southland particularly, but people really, really, really want indies, so I don't think they're going anywhere.

Nice to meet you. *High Five*

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Heya another SoCal - er here, living out past Calabasas.

Welcome Luke!

Kjbartolotta, I did not know you were in SoCal.

So nice the heat broke, eh?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Right? Both our fish died because of it this week. (RIP Brenda and Dylan)

Last edited:

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations Luke. Welcome to AW. :hi: