Good to be here

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
Back into writing after a long hiatus. Years ago I wrote a lot, mostly sci-fi, but got discouraged and gave it up. Going back and reading stuff I wrote then, I can see why. I always enjoyed writing, and having recently retired from a short career in software development, I may have more time for it now.

I also like to read, averaging about fifty books a year, some sci-fi but also mysteries, legal thrillers, spy novels, adventure stories, whatever looks good. I tend to like the popular authors. I've had quite a few other hobbies over the years, most involving cars, planes, or boats, but the only one I still enjoy today, besides writing, is cycling.

Five years ago I built a car, which got me started on a blog, which got me back into writing. I think putting together 500-1000 words every day for a couple of years improved my writing skills a little, so I'm more encouraged now. I look forward to reading others' work here and hope to learn a few things.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:
Welcome to AW nick. Reading about a book week huh. Impressive. Best of luck.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Soliloquill

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Congratulations! I took a year off of writing because I got heavily discouraged. It can be a tough business to get noticed in, so I understand. I missed writing, and I decided that I can't improve if I don't do it, so here I am writing my second (and infinitely better, to my satisfaction and regret) fantasy novel.

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, 'quill. I think the best thing for me now is not to worry about getting noticed, just enjoy the process. Hope you're enjoying it, too.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Nick from Novato. Some say your sprawling town tucked into the hills is one of the best places in the US to live. No disagreement from me when I visited. As an elderly writer, I've got lots of interest in its local good works on aging.

Also, welcome back to writing, Nick. :greenie

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. Novato is an okay town and we are definitely tucked into the hills, but it's still the Bay Area with all its traffic, noise, and high prices. Now that I'm no longer tied to a job, we're looking at moving north.