Formats & numbers

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to publish the paperback and ebook versions of my novel separately and have a few questions.
  • I want to confirm that my paperback will be formatted in PDF format.
  • My KDP (ebook) version will be formatted in something called MOBI or something else.
I have questions about the required numbers:
  • I know that the paperback version will need an ISB number and I know where to get it from Bowker.
  • I am unclear about the number required for my KDP (ebook) version. From one source I was told it was called an ASI number but I'm unsure about that. I would like to know exactly what this number is called and where to go (web site address) to get this number.
Lastly, does it matter which version I publish first, the paperback or the KDP (ebook) version?

Thanks for any help you can give me here.

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
The ASIN is Amazon's cataloguing number that they assign to ebooks. You don't have to acquire one--they'll give you one automatically when you upload your file. You can also use an ISBN for your ebook, especially if you plan to publish it at venues other than Amazon (such as Barnes and Noble, Kobo, etc.) And yes, you can use the same ISBN for your ebook across multiple sales venues, including Amazon.

Yes, your print book MUST be in PDF format in order to upload to CreateSpace.

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Yes, your print book MUST be in PDF format in order to upload to CreateSpace.

I uploaded mine as Word docs (.doc, IIRC). Createspace says you can use either. I'm pretty sure they have a template you can download (it's been a while since I did mine - going from memory).

Lastly, does it matter which version I publish first, the paperback or the KDP (ebook) version?

I'd go with ebook, just because Amazon lets you actually set a release date in advance. Createspace just does it when you upload, but it takes a bit longer.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
You say I can use an ISB number for my ebook. Can I use the same ISB number for my ebook that I used for my paperback? Or do I need to use a different one for my ebook?

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
An ISBN is required for a print book, and my understanding is that you need a separate one for paperback and hardback. This ISBN cannot be used for an ebook.

To publish on Amazon, you only need an ASIN. This will be assigned to you at no charge.

You can purchase an ISBN at CreateSpace (for physical books) for $10, but the publisher listed will be CreateSpace. That doesn't mean you don't own your book, however. Most people have decided that instead of purchasing a big block from Bowkers, they'll live with the publisher name.

Draft2Digital and Smashwords will flat-out give you an ISBN for using them for wide distribution. This can be used for all non-Amazon ebooks. But again, the publisher listed will be Smashwords or D2D.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
In general, a different ISBN is required for each format you publish in--so you would use one for ebook format, one for print (or two if you have a hardcover and a paperback), one for audiobook, one for large-print, etc. But as Cathleen said, you can use the ISBNs handed out by places like CreateSpace and Smashwords, and you're not required to have one for ebooks published by Amazon/KDP. I've chosen to purchase my own ISBNs for any books I self-publish because I like to retain control of all aspects of my work. And yes, I use them for my ebooks as well.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
KDP Print will give you a free ISBN for your paperback. In any case, I think it is much easier to produce the ebook first. I normally produce my ebook in Word format, get it edited, do all the proofing runs, and publish it. Also- during the ebook publishing process, you can download the MOBI file (KDP) and email it to a reader device prior to publishing. I find that is the best way to proofread the book.

I then make a copy of the Word file, and reformat it for print- page size, margins, gutters, odd/even headers, etc... then make a PDF. I use KDP Print but it is similar to Createspace.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
What others have said. Good advice all.

I'll agree that going with an ebook first is more often the wiser choice. POD books sell a lot less than ebooks, in my experience - for me about a hundred to one. An ebook is not only easier to get out, but can also act as an ad for the "pbook" and all your other books.

One added comment. You can put a book on CreateSpace but delay the last step (Publish) until you're ready. I have one that's been on CS for several months, waiting for the right time.

CatherineDunn

Registered
Reaction score
Just to add to Cathleen's points, my company (Help For Writers) sells ISBNs on their own for £20 with no obligation to use us for distribution, so it wouldn't list us as the publisher. It's just to save authors having to buy a big block (from Nielsen in our case for UK-based authors, or Bowker across the pond). As with D2D and others, those buying distribution get the ISBN anyway but you can totally just buy one off us and use it for either an ebook or paperback. (Mods, feel free to remove my link if it's not allowed, I'm not trying to make a sales pitch here as such, just to help the OP! They can always pm me.)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just to add to Cathleen's points, my company (Help For Writers) sells ISBNs on their own for £20 with no obligation to use us for distribution, so it wouldn't list us as the publisher. It's just to save authors having to buy a big block (from Nielsen in our case for UK-based authors, or Bowker across the pond). As with D2D and others, those buying distribution get the ISBN anyway but you can totally just buy one off us and use it for either an ebook or paperback. (Mods, feel free to remove my link if it's not allowed, I'm not trying to make a sales pitch here as such, just to help the OP! They can always pm me.)

With whom are you licensed to resell ISBNs?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Very well. My point: ISBNs are not transferable. So unless an entity is duly authorized by their regional agency to generate new ones (e.g., Bowker has its "channel partners"), they can't sell you an ISBN off their block and claim it'll be registered under your imprint.

Buyer beware.