New Federal Office Being Set Up To Review Naturalized Citizens' Applications

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The full process to become a US citizen takes a minimum of six years. Five years of residency and holding a Green Card and if lucky one year for the citizenship application. It is not an easy process, and is very thorough. Apparently Trump feels it is not thorough enough. Now US Citizenship and Immigration Services is creating a new office to review citizenship applications, to see who lied on their form, so they can be stripped of their citizenship and deported.

My money is on naturalized Muslim, and brown-skinned people, be they Hispanic, or African, being the ones singled out for review, having their citizenship revoked, and deported.

Link 1 Transcript NPR interview with Professor Mae Ngai

Link 2 CNN

Link 3 Length of time to become US citizen

Link 4 US Govt process to become US citizen

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I think we've seen this film before, haven't we?

It ended with swastikas and ovens and a whole bunch of bombs and bodies...

How is this happening? How the eff is this still happening?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think we've seen this film before, haven't we?...
From Link #1 above:
NGAI: The last time the federal government tried to denaturalize citizens was during the McCarthy period. And they went after people who they were accusing of being Communists who were naturalized citizens. And they took away their citizenship and deported them.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
May I suggest that white naturalized citizens that feel safe take their papers down to this new Office, and demand that they be inspected? Jam up the system! And, if you are refused, record the reason why.

Also, I thought the point of this government was to 'drain the swamp', cut waste and reduce bureaucracy?
How is this helping?
Is there a government employees' union? Maybe they should be complaining about their people being doubted.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Also, I thought the point of this government was to 'drain the swamp', cut waste and reduce bureaucracy?
How is this helping?
Is there a government employees' union? Maybe they should be complaining about their people being doubted.

It was never about draining the swamp. The people who voted for him couldn't care less about swamp draining, either because they didn't know the first thing about the "swamp" of politics or because they benefitted directly from it and just wanted more profitable scum to siphon. They just heard those dog whistles and perked their angry, xenophobic, white supremacist ears and came runnin'. So far the only "draining" has been cutting of regulations so people on the top can stuff themselves even fuller at the expense of more people and more generations... and a shredding of safety nets for those shoved under the water by the hippos bellying up to the open swamp bar.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The Republican Party used to be (at least in terms of their rhetoric) all about "smaller government" and "less spending" and "individual freedom".

They have actually never in my lifetime really been about "individual freedom" (think the Civil Rights era of the 1960s, when they were opposed to just about everything involving racial integration), bur really began to drift through the dark mirror back in the late 1970s when the Jerry Falwell-instigated "Moral Majority" energized Christian evangelicals (who have forever been enamored of authoritarianism) into political action. We are now seeing the fruits of those seeds planted decades go.

Everybody like it?

caw

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Republican Party used to be (at least in terms of their rhetoric) all about "smaller government" and "less spending" and "individual freedom".

They have actually never in my lifetime really been about "individual freedom" ...
caw
They've never been about smaller government and less spending either.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Why would anyone even want to emigrate or even visit the US at this point is beyond me.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
It certainly suggests how desperate they are to get out of wherever they were living.

I understand that, as I was in the verge of doing the same five years ago when my economic situation was desperate. Now, though, I think Canada or even Mexico would be preferable.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I understand that, as I was in the verge of doing the same five years ago when my economic situation was desperate. Now, though, I think Canada or even Mexico would be preferable.

I went to university in the US in 1994, and at the time, the plan was for me to get my H1B visa and then citizenship. After eight years, the plan fell through. I seriously considered any means of staying, including marriage to a man who I'd met over the Internet (all that dissuaded me was that he stressed it would be "a real marriage", and I wasn't in the least attracted to him).

So in 2002 I had to go back to the Middle East, disappointed and homesick.

Now, that seems like a blessing in disguise, since I settled down in Canada. I'm planning a vacation abroad next year, and the US was never even in consideration.