Books part of the curriculum during Sophomore year (US high school)

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I understand the list might vary from state to state but I want to get an idea of the kind of English literature books that are being studied during Sophomore year in US high school, and if you remember the kind of essay who had to write about them.

Thanks!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This varies by school, or district if public, not state.

My sophomore reading list included The Fountainhead or Tess of the fucking d'urbervilles -- one was soph, one was jr., don't remember which way it went, Macbeth was our sophomore Shakespeare (did one a year -- Julius Caesar, Macbeth, Hamlet, Midsummer), and a bunch of short stuff, poetry, etc. I know a school does Moby Dick, poor kids.

albrock

Hopelessly Historical
Registered
Reaction score
Public vs. private makes a difference, too. In my experience (sophomore English teacher at a private school), private school teachers get a lot more freedom in creating their syllabi, although probably not at a religious school. The more traditional picks that I teach are Much Ado About Nothing, Beowulf (some years), 1984, and Pride and Prejudice. I also do Peter Pan, Good Omens, Never Let Me Go, and a crap ton of poetry.

My class is British literature, but when I went to school in the 90s in South Carolina, 10th grade was American lit. There's a lot of variety from school to school.

albrock

Hopelessly Historical
Registered
Reaction score
Tess of the fucking d'urbervilles

Ugh, I'm still furious that I had to read this book. The senior English teacher in my department teaches it, and I shamelessly badmouth it to the kids. Not sorry.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Public high schools often have a school-district assigned curriculum, and that may include not only the reading list (in terms of novels, for instance) but a specific series of textbooks.

And there may be three different "tracks": college prep, non-college prep and AP.

albrock

Hopelessly Historical
Registered
Reaction score
And there may be three different "tracks": college prep, non-college prep and AP.

In the private high schools where I've worked (and at the one where my husband works), there are college prep and honors only. The assumption is that every student in private school is preparing for college, and that honors usually leads to AP. I taught at a very large private high school that also had an option for students with learning differences, which had a different title. So there were three tracks there, but they were all college prep.

ETA: And at my current school, which is quite small, there is no tracking in humanities. It's just English until you choose to take AP or not. Size matters!

Last edited:

albrock

Hopelessly Historical
Registered
Reaction score
I just noticed that you were interested in essay topics, too, OP. Feel free to PM me. I can give you a variety of essay prompts for any of these scenarios.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
At my library, we pull the required reading books onto a special summer reading shelf. Some stay the same from year to year; others come and go. Likewise, any student can read anything from a higher grade, but they're discouraged from reading things from a lower year. I don't know if the schools do essays or quizzes to see if they actually retained anything or not. The teachers probably tell them to choose x books, because I don't see how anyone could read all 26 books on the list in three months, even if they were a gung-ho champion reader. A year, maybe, if they were overachieving maniacs. :)

A few of the standbys include Orwell's Animal Farm, Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Stevenson, The House on Mango Street by Cisneros, One Day in the Live of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn, The Education of Little Tree by Carter, The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway, The Pearl by Steinbeck, A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens, A Prayer for Owen Meany by Irving, and Wuthering Heights by Bronte.

Some of the new ones that cycle through are Death Comes for the Archbishop by Cather; A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway; the KJV version of Genesis; Giants in the Earth by Rolvaag; The Color of Water by McBride; Medea by Euripides; Julius Caesar, The Merchant of Venice, and Richard III by Shakespeare. Oh, and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. :p

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, I'm still furious that I had to read this book. The senior English teacher in my department teaches it, and I shamelessly badmouth it to the kids. Not sorry.

Heh, also still mad.

I hated The Fountainhead, but I get the point of assigning it. Tess... gah.

We did Scarlet Letter in freshman year and a bunch of stuff, including Canterbury Tales, in sr., along with the aforementioned Shakespeares, short things, poetry...

Otoh, at least I didn't go to the school that does Moby Dick.

Last edited:

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
We had to read Brave New World, Great Expectations, Lord of the Flies, A Doll's House, and I think a few others.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quite a few of them, now that I think about it (not all sophomore year, but high school in general):

Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Iliad and Odyssey - Homer
Macbeth - Shakespeare
Romeo and Juliet - Shakespeare
Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorn
The Yearling - Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Canterbury Tales (selected stories) - Geoffrey Chaucer
Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald

I remember my friends reading:

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
A Separate Peace - John Knowles
Moby Dick - Herman Melville
My Antonia - Willa Cather
Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

My kids in the late 2000s read Number the Stars by Lois Lowry in addition to others not yet study-worthy when I was in school. I just can't remember which ones.

I also had a class called Individualized Reading where we could choose from about 200 books spanning the spectrum, which is where I discovered Kurt Vonnegut and Evelyn Waugh, and read my first Stephen King (Eyes of the Dragon; I loved it!). The selections also included Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (Robert Pirsig), The Hobbit (Tolkein), The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath), Sticks and Stones (Lynn Hall), and the oddly memorable I Am the Cheese (Robert Cormier).

As for the essays, in the lower highschool grades we mostly had to summarize the plot, while in the higher grades we had to identify recurring themes, motifs, and in some cases explain what certain parts would have meant to people at the time.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
My HS was very bad, so I got Hiroshima and Old Man and the Fish. Also Death Be Not Proud and The Pearl. All short, awful books.

I hated The Fountainhead, but I get the point of assigning it.

I do not. Never assigned, if it was I was close enough to dropping out at that point I would have jumped a train and run off to the circus. *Only mild sarcasm*

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your answers it's really helpful.

I just noticed that you were interested in essay topics, too, OP. Feel free to PM me. I can give you a variety of essay prompts for any of these scenarios.

Thanks albrock, I'll drop you a PM.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
The Common Core State Standards has a recommended reading list in its index. You can Google it.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I understand the list might vary from state to state

The list might vary from school district to school district. There is no standard. And has been mentioned, private schools are completely independent and make their own choices.

Second, by "English" literature, do you mean literature by writers from England, or literature written originally in English. As I recall, back in the olden days when I was in high school, most of what we read was by American writers (Twain, Steinbeck, Cather all come to mind).

caw

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In my high school (in the 90s), the sophomore year English curriculum varied from class to class. Honors English in my school was actually Humanities sophomore year, and I can't think of a single novel we read during that year, although we did plenty of reading--MacBeth, mythology, the Bible, etc.--to enhance the part where we studied art. I remember a section on "civil disobedience" in that year too, where we read Antigone and essays by MLK, Jr.

There was an effort to keep social studies lessons and English lessons in line with each other. Sophomore year was World history (or AP European Civilizations for those who took the AP route), and those who weren't in Honors, took British Lit that year. Junior year, when we did U.S. History, we also did American Lit (Honors and non-honors).

Some of the books mentioned by others here as sophomore year were in freshman English, Am Lit, or AP English for me. Others were options that people could pick and choose from for essays.