Lurker making the jump to Newbie

Gibby

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm Gibby. I finally got up the courage to post – not sure why it took me so long.

Right. Basic info questions.
• What genres do you write?
• What do you like to read?
• How long have you been writing?
• Do you beta read?
• Do you have any particular hobbies? Are you an expert in any particular field or craft?

I write fantasy. Sometimes it's realistic; sometimes it's epic. I recently started writing novella and graphic novel-length pieces – but's that because I'm still editing down the 202,000 word mammoth hiding on my art desk. I just can't bring myself to start another brick until I 'finish' that one.

I read fantasy, mostly. Historical fiction pieces intrigue me. Sci-fi confuses me. Horror leaves me hiding under the bed (and it's far too dusty for me to squeeze down there now). I'm a bit of a literary wimp. As such, I've not read a ton of books that would be considered… recent. I need to fix that, I know.

I've been writing for over 15 years: nothing published and, for the most part, nothing serious. I just need to write, so I answer the call.

I would love to beta read, but I've never been asked.

I am a graphic designer – not a hobby. It's my sunlight life. My moonlight life is writer. And I'm a calligrapher – works in tandem with the writing. In fact, I'm studying to be a Master Penman – in a little less than 2 years or so, I should be creating my certificate (very inky fingers crossed). Other hobbies include, illustration, lettering, comics, and a bunch of other things that somehow involve lots and lots of paper. One day, in the distant future, I hope to turn that mammoth listed above into a contemporary illuminated manuscript, but there is a sea of red ink to cross before I can get to the gold leaf.

I just wanted to thank everyone that's added to these boards – they've been incredibly helpful to this would-be hermit. Thanks all!

Gibby

Soliloquill

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: I'm new here as well, and much in the same boat with the whole hermit thing. I came here hoping to eventually get critiques on my fantasy writing, so maybe we'll see each other's work posted :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Interesting introduction, Gibby. Looks like you’ve got a lot going on.

Best of luck, and welcome to AW!

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome, Gibby. How wonderful that you are studying calligraphy - that really is superb. I love the idea of turning your book into an illuminated manuscript and I do hope you get to fulfill that vision. Have fun here - see you around!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm relieved you've left the dust and monsters under your bed to join us (not that there aren't a few dust monsters here in residence). :greenie

:welcome:, Gibby.

Gibby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all! It's so nice to finally be joining in on these boards.

Just realized how busy my intro made me sound. Yeah – I don't sleep much. I'm either at work, in a book or at my desk scribbling away at a pile of paper juuuuuuust balanced enough not to tumble over.
If you don't see me around for a while – there was an avalanche.

:)

Gibby

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW Gibby. Nice to meet you. Best of luck with all your endeavors.