• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fairlight Books

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
No experience, but it looks like a fairly standard small, literary press? Their books look nice enough to me, but I've never heard of them so don't know what (if any) reputation they have in the lit fic world and also wouldn't expect to make any money from publishing with them.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
They're a new company, and their CEO is "new to the industry" plus has some odd ideas:

Louise Boland

Louise is founder and CEO of Fairlight Books. New to the publishing industry, she was previously the MD and co-founder of the Opus Energy group, a retail energy supplier to business consumers. Following an exit of that business through a trade sale in early 2017, she decided to take the opportunity to go back to basics with a fresh start up.

Seeing friends struggling to find good reads from under a deluge of ‘buy-me’ photo-fit e-novels, and seeing writer friends struggling to find homes for quality fiction, she decided to set up Fairlight Books to help reconnect readers with quality fiction.

They've got a handful of people who studied publishing at university and what seems like a good publicity thing going, but there's a massive dearth of actual industry experience on the team.

They could be okay but there's very little information about their contracts, process, anything else.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Oh. Yep. None of that reads as good. I mean, you don't want to go with a publisher who might be "okay," but one you know is awesome, is making money, and will do a wonderful job producing and supporting your book.

A lack of experience doesn't bode well at all.

Kate JR

Registered
Reaction score
Following. Just seen them listed with other small publishers in a 2020 blog. I do like the sound of them and lit fic is never a big seller anyway. Much more niche. But was hoping that two years on there'd be a bit more info

Last edited: