Has anyone used a pager before?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing in the early 80s, and my cop is paging an FBI agent. Would he put the number where to call back and add 911.
Could he use a dial phone to do so?

He wants her to call back and come to the scene, as he suspects it involves her case too.

Any details would be greatly appreciated!

:)

NateCrow

Registered
Reaction score
I had a pager, but it was in the late 90's. At that time, you could definitely do what you're asking.

A quick Google search found this. It seems like in the "early 80s" numeric pagers existed. Apparently most could display up to 10 digits. In my area, it wasn't until the 90's that you had to dial the area code for a local call so, under those circumstances, it might work.

Last edited:

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
Deleted post by accident. NateCrow is correct (I had one late 80s). When it went off we called Dispatch and they gave us the message. Then we'd call the person who paged us or head for court or whatever else we were supposed to do. Not high tech at all.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In 1984 when Mr. Maryn had a very important job interview out of town and I was past my due date for our older child, we borrowed a pager. All it could do was beep and display a phone number to call. He would have to find a telephone to use. We went with the understanding that if it went off, I'd use our home number but he was to go directly to the hospital, not just call me.

(It didn't happen. Such a considerate baby.)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I carried a pager in the 80s for a job in residential social services. Clients called in to a service, left a message, service would then page me and I called in for the message.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How other people describe it is how I remember it. Keep in mind, though, that 911 services weren't available nationwide for a long time. In central Iowa, we didn't get it until the mid 80s.

The only other thing is that automated responses might (read: might, I'm not sure) have required a touch-tone phone. Again, until the mid 80s in Iowa the system we had could handle rotary phones (which we had until the AT&T breakup) and when we used a push button phone, instead of the familiar "beep" we would hear a series of clicks corresponding to the number we pushed. The old Pizza Hut "Pizza Hut Pizza to Go" ads confused me because that's not what we heard when we dialed. In fact, our phone had a switch to go between touch tone and pulse, depending on our phone system.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
My first pager(s) were Motorola "beepers" and this was in the very early 80s. They were one-way and short range and it worked like ap123's beeper: if the pager beeped or vibrated, you called in for the message or called the number displayed. The beeper message was usually numeric (phone number) with a "beeper code" tacked on and, if memory serves (but don't count on it), the 911 simply meant emergency—not in the sense of calling emergency services as we know it today. The code I remember getting most often was the one for "Where are you?"

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
At first, I wasn't planning on responding, because I only remembered my relatives using pagers in the 90s, not 80s, and I didn't think my information would be much help, (especially after I read Wikipedia's page about all the different types of pagers that existed and still are in use, today), but since others responded how their pagers worked, which was exactly how I remember my relatives' pagers working, I thought it might be useful confirmation.

I only remember that my relatives' pagers would beep and their co-workers' number would appear, to let them know they had to call back, immediately, from a landline phone. They recognized most, if not, all of the numbers of their co-workers, so they knew who was calling them, even if their pagers didn't have their co-workers' names attached to the number.

I'm unsure what your 911 message added to the end would mean, whether your cop is just trying to tell the FBI agent that he wants her to call him back, immediately, because it's an emergency or whether he wants her to call 911, in addition to calling him back? If it's only the former, as a way for her to know it's an emergency, I'm not sure whether that's needed, because my relatives always knew that, when their beepers went off, obviously, their co-workers were calling them because they needed them for an emergency at work; I don't remember them adding 911 to their calls, but of course, for their jobs, they weren't cops or hospital workers, so they didn't ever need for anyone to call 911, only for communication between them and their bosses/co-workers. So, perhaps, people who worked in those fields back then, had a different protocol.

Last edited:

R.A. Lundberg

Registered
Reaction score
I used a pager extensively in the late 80's/early 90s. Typically you used your pager to, obviously, get someone to call you. Using a touch tone phone, you could input all numbers plus the number sign (you younger folks call it a hashtag now). What we would do is input the call back number then #911 for "Emergency, call me right now!!" or #1, #2, or #3 for importance level, from "call me when you get a minute" to "need to hear from you pretty quick" Most people and organizations had these kind of numeric shorthand codes, including drug dealers. Only some paging systems were capable of using rotary phone input. Touch tone was pretty common by the late 80s, but by no means universal.

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
Our pagers were controlled through Dispatch only. If the LT wanted me or wanted to pass a message like "call home" he'd call Dispatch and have them page me. There were no options to add numbers. If I needed to convey I had an emergency, I did it over the primary radio channel or switched to a secondary channel that could be monitored by other personnel, but not outsiders. Or I stopped and called from a pay phone. We had a bypass so it cost us nothing. Ours were Motorolas, as was our whole system.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks so much everyone! i had googled pagers, and it was hard to get exact info on early ones. I will check out the link too.

My first pager(s) were Motorola "beepers" and this was in the very early 80s. They were one-way and short range and it worked like ap123's beeper: if the pager beeped or vibrated, you called in for the message or called the number displayed. The beeper message was usually numeric (phone number) with a "beeper code" tacked on and, if memory serves (but don't count on it), the 911 simply meant emergency—not in the sense of calling emergency services as we know it today. The code I remember getting most often was the one for "Where are you?"

Ari, this is the perfect scenario for the situation. My cop is calling from a next of kin's apartment, and there is a murder downstairs he thinks involves her case. Since she wouldn't know whose number it is, he does add 911 to indicate "call right away--you're needed." I'll add that he types a number to indicate it's him too, so she knows who to ask for.

You absolute writers rock!!!

:Hug2:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome. You might want to google the old beeper codes; I'm pretty sure they were standard. Don't know if they're online anywhere, but it's worth the search for purposes of authenticity.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome. You might want to google the old beeper codes; I'm pretty sure they were standard. Don't know if they're online anywhere, but it's worth the search for purposes of authenticity.

Having checked AW admin's link, and being shocked by how intricate those codes got, I'm going to have my cop just say the agent assigned him a number.

Such great advice everyone!!!

:)