How long should edit take?

Kingson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Generally speaking, approximately how long do you all think a professional, experienced, freelance fiction editor should take to complete a heavy copyedit/line edit of an 80K word commercial fiction manuscript? I'm just looking for a range (X months to X months).. Thanks.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Generally speaking, approximately how long do you all think a professional, experienced, freelance fiction editor should take to complete a heavy copyedit/line edit of an 80K word commercial fiction manuscript? I'm just looking for a range (X months to X months).. Thanks.

Depends on the editor and how busy they are -- you can ask for a timeline when you hire someone. Personally, a week to two, but depends on how busy.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
80k would be four weeks for the editor I used last year. 100-120k about six weeks. Etc.

If it's like nonfiction editing it'll also depend what shape your MS is in. Stuff that needs a lot of work and/or is very complicated, can take agessssss.

Last edited:

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
Good info. From what you said, we can set the editor's speed at 20k words per week.