I've tried making a blog, and I was very much lost on why I might need one/how to build it.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
I tried using Wordpress a while back, like last year or two years ago. Something like that. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, and I'm half decent with computers and learning technology on a basic level. So if I'm someone who wants to get outside attention from video game writers, developers, and just writers out there who love what I love, how can I easily build a free blog and start maintaining a schedule for posting? I'd love a place to post works in progress, get attention from the game industry, point people to my website in case I meet those people, and give my thoughts on gaming and...just ...stuff haha.

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Just an opinion, but I kind of wonder if you wouldn't be better off interacting on sites like Twitter with your target audience rather than trying to start a blog and interact that way--social media has a much lower starting threshold. By all means have a website and/or an on-line portfolio that they can then go to after they've interacted with you a few times and begin to recognize your name.

And Wordpress isn't the only blogging platform out there.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
hey Marissa D

I know Wordpress isn't the only one out there. I've thought it's the best way to start it, for someone with no understanding how to make a website (did it in high school once, doesn't count).
You have a good point about the low starting threshold. About Twitter: I have one, but I don't use it much. Twitter has so much garbage on it that it's easily a site I don't care much about. I have my account to follow a few game developers, fellow gamers in games I play and my favorite musicians. It's not all bad however. I guess I can consider using it. Definitely can garner lots of attention.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Don't approach Twitter as a way to garner attention, though--use it to connect with those designers and other writers by being a thoughtful, interesting human being and engaging in intelligent conversation. And maybe some of those conversations can eventually become the basis of blog posts down the road.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
I can see that working, yes. I've looked for the lead writer to my personal 2017 Game of the Year - Horizon Zero Dawn - on Twitter. He doesn't have one, unfortunately. On the other hand, I'm following at least one franchise writer at 343 Industries, the Halo developers. I could always look for others. I do know that Rhianna Pratchett has her own website, which I've used before to email her and gotten replied to by her once. Don't know if she's on Twitter.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I can see that working, yes. I've looked for the lead writer to my personal 2017 Game of the Year - Horizon Zero Dawn - on Twitter. He doesn't have one, unfortunately. On the other hand, I'm following at least one franchise writer at 343 Industries, the Halo developers. I could always look for others. I do know that Rhianna Pratchett has her own website, which I've used before to email her and gotten replied to by her once. Don't know if she's on Twitter.

Yes. Yes, she is on Twitter.

But just using it to see what people can do for you, is a guaranteed way to get you muted or blocked. I second Marissa's suggestion for interaction. This means contributing to the conversation, and being a part of the community. Otherwise you might well get noticed...in the wrong way.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
It is relatively easy and cheap to make your own website. Thousands of people are posting new sites every hour. If you find it difficult, and most people do, don't worry about it .The time and effort you would need to spend on it will probably not be rewarded with the attention you're hoping for. Unfortunately, I know nothing about gaming and self-promotion seem to be a dark art. It mostly making contact with the right people within the industry your interested in.

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The gaming industry does seem to be very blog and website heavy, from what I've seen. I'm speaking as a player and not a developer, though.

How about using Tumblr for a platform? It's a little easier to use and very visual. Reddit would also serve well -- not a personal site, but a giant forum.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
The gaming industry does seem to be very blog and website heavy, from what I've seen. I'm speaking as a player and not a developer, though.

How about using Tumblr for a platform? It's a little easier to use and very visual. Reddit would also serve well -- not a personal site, but a giant forum.

ehh I've heard not so good things about Tumblr. Most social media doesn't interest me, yet I still use Facebook and Twitter. I'm more interested of forums like these, Discord and a website for myself. I could still consider it, I suppose.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Nothing's going to fall into your lap. You have to make an effort. 'I've not heard good things about...' and 'I could still consider it, I suppose' is prime self-sabotage. You're disempowering yourself and sending a negative message to would-be employers and/or collaborators.

Here are questions to ask yourself: What is my goal? How have other people succeeded in achieving the same goal? What can I learn from their success?

And most importantly: What do I have to offer that's different from all my competitors?

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing's going to fall into your lap. You have to make an effort. 'I've not heard good things about...' and 'I could still consider it, I suppose' is prime self-sabotage. You're disempowering yourself and sending a negative message to would-be employers and/or collaborators.

Here are questions to ask yourself: What is my goal? How have other people succeeded in achieving the same goal? What can I learn from their success?

And most importantly: What do I have to offer that's different from all my competitors?

I've sent three Tweets to the lead writer for Shadow of the Tomb Raider this evening, and she responded to the first one so far. So that's sweet.

Basically, I just don't like social media and what it's doing to society. But I've found some good use from it. I don't really see how talking to a writer on Twitter can help me out, to be honest. Just because they see my interest in game writing/developing and prose fiction doesn't mean they'll keep me in mind. I know that sounds negative; I'd like to be wrong; social media could really help out.

I just asked that writer how she got the opportunity to write the game, mentioned I'm looking for my first writing position in games and that I'm working on a couple projects. Seems like a good start.

What can I offer that makes me different? Well... I feel I have strength in descriptive writing. I know my thought process for a scene is quite logical, step by step. I don't know yet how to answer that question with a quality answer that makes me stand out.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I've sent three Tweets to the lead writer for Shadow of the Tomb Raider this evening, and she responded to the first one so far. So that's sweet.

Basically, I just don't like social media and what it's doing to society. But I've found some good use from it. I don't really see how talking to a writer on Twitter can help me out, to be honest. Just because they see my interest in game writing/developing and prose fiction doesn't mean they'll keep me in mind. I know that sounds negative; I'd like to be wrong; social media could really help out.

I just asked that writer how she got the opportunity to write the game, mentioned I'm looking for my first writing position in games and that I'm working on a couple projects. Seems like a good start.
What can I offer that makes me different? Well... I feel I have strength in descriptive writing. I know my thought process for a scene is quite logical, step by step. I don't know yet how to answer that question with a quality answer that makes me stand out.

Mate, all that stuff I just highlighted is available at a single click. You really need to do your damned homework.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
Mate, all that stuff I just highlighted is available at a single click. You really need to do your damned homework.

I know writers are on Twitter and other places. I'll continue to search them out and talk to them. Done it before too...only not often.