How to Climb Out of the Editing Trenches When You're Sick of Your Novel

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score
I've stared at and re-worked these words so many times, I could voice the audio book without a manuscript in front of me. I loved my book, then I hated it, then I liked it, and now I'm just ready for us to see other people. But the whole point of this is to have a finished and polished piece, not twenty "works in progress". I get that, but how do you stay passionate about your novel when all you want to do is write the next one?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be done, to the best of your ability at this time. Beta it, or start submitting it, and move on to the next thing you want to write.

caw

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: I'm stuck in that editing trench too. I thought I was done months ago, and at this stage have long lost count of how many times I've been through the book. Also desperate to move on to the shiny new project.

How far away do you feel from being finished and polished? I can imagine that final push is fairly hideous for most of us, if you're there I'm going to wave pompoms and shout you can do it.

But if there are still big changes needed, take a break. Move on. Sometimes a break really helps with problem solving.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you. This was me for so so long.

First, it's normal to go cold on a book, then hot again, then cold. A lot of that is fatigue. If you haven't taken a longish break from it, do it, write a first draft of the next thing, then go back to the first book with fresh eyes.

I stayed motivated by thinking of the characters and how much I loved them. I also reminded myself to have fun. As much blood as I was leaving on the keyboard, I still loved what I was doing, the discoveries I was making every time I revised. The book was getting better and that motivated me. It was also motivating to get feedback. If you haven't had a set of eyes on your story, either writers/editors/agents or readers who aren't family or friends, get the book out to someone who can tell you its strengths and weaknesses. That'll give you fresh wind to edit until it truly is done. (BTW, "done" means you don't feel you can improve it anymore at that moment either because you're too cold on it or you feel you don't have the skills to improve it. If you take a break from the book, come back and still feel that way, give it to betas or seek other help and see if it kickstarts you. And always, always study the craft as you write.) Good luck!

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score
How far away do you feel from being finished and polished? I can imagine that final push is fairly hideous for most of us, if you're there I'm going to wave pompoms and shout you can do it.

But if there are still big changes needed, take a break. Move on. Sometimes a break really helps with problem solving.

Fairly far. I'm calling this the 2nd draft, but I went over the first so much it's probably the 10th.:Shrug: I took 3 weeks before diving back in, so I'm thinking I'll take longer next time. Maybe 3 wasn't enough. But thank you for the encouragement! :Hug2:

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score
I stayed motivated by thinking of the characters and how much I loved them. I also reminded myself to have fun. As much blood as I was leaving on the keyboard, I still loved what I was doing, the discoveries I was making every time I revised. The book was getting better and that motivated me. It was also motivating to get feedback. If you haven't had a set of eyes on your story, either writers/editors/agents or readers who aren't family or friends, get the book out to someone who can tell you its strengths and weaknesses. That'll give you fresh wind to edit until it truly is done. (BTW, "done" means you don't feel you can improve it anymore at that moment either because you're too cold on it or you feel you don't have the skills to improve it. If you take a break from the book, come back and still feel that way, give it to betas or seek other help and see if it kickstarts you. And always, always study the craft as you write.) Good luck!

Thank you! You bring up an interesting point. There are 2 POV's, and I definitely have a favorite. It's no trouble at all to edit and love on those chapters, but he's the antagonist. I don't love my protagonist but that was the intention, at least for most of the book. Her arc comes pretty late in the game but maybe I need to make her more interesting. Not likeable...but definitely more interesting.

I do love studying the craft; between books, blogs, podcasts, and youtube channels, it's all I think about. I'm obsessed.

** Edited to Add: She suffers immense loss at the beginning of the book, and her actions afterwards are part of a mental descent. I'm an extremely empathetic person, and maybe she just drains me? To get into her head so often, into such a dark place...

Last edited:

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it would help if she's not quite so dark? Hardly anyone is totally dark even at the darkest moments. Black humor and small kindnesses help a lot. And readers will identify with how someone copes (or not) with the dark since it's a struggle we all go through.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What works for me may not work for anyone else, but I benefit from a long stretch away from a book before the next round of edits and revision.

Long enough to write another book, in fact. (About six months, with the understanding that I have more time to write than most.) During that time, I don't let myself look at the book that's "resting." I can jot myself notes about it--things to check, ideas for change, whatever--but I cannot open the file. I let myself become immersed in the new book, and by the time I get back to the other, it's like someone else wrote it. That's what I need to see its flaws.

Maryn, hoping something similar helps you

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it would help if she's not quite so dark? Hardly anyone is totally dark even at the darkest moments. Black humor and small kindnesses help a lot. And readers will identify with how someone copes (or not) with the dark since it's a struggle we all go through.

Perfect, thank you! -off to brainstorm-

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score
What works for me may not work for anyone else, but I benefit from a long stretch away from a book before the next round of edits and revision.

Long enough to write another book, in fact. (About six months, with the understanding that I have more time to write than most.) During that time, I don't let myself look at the book that's "resting." I can jot myself notes about it--things to check, ideas for change, whatever--but I cannot open the file. I let myself become immersed in the new book, and by the time I get back to the other, it's like someone else wrote it. That's what I need to see its flaws.

Maryn, hoping something similar helps you

6 months is a long time but I can see how you could return with fresh eyes. I'm glad you mentioned allowing yourself to take notes, etc. Even with my short 3 weeks away, almost daily I was jotting down things to do when I picked it back up.