What are Your Favorite Websites / Online Communities?

rainbowsheeps

Registered
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't see something like this, so I thought I'd make this.

The internet is enormous and complex - and we each only see the tiniest fraction of it. There are probably hundreds of websites out there right now that fit our tastes well, but we just don't know about them. To that end, I thought it might be interesting to see what other people's favorites are - not just for writing, but for other things, like news, art, science, etc. Whatever your interests may be.

If interested, maybe tell us what your favorite sites are, or sites you visit daily - and give a really brief summary of what it is, or why you like it. The hope is that what we share might broaden someone else's horizons in some way.

I suppose I'll start.

These are some I either visit daily, or otherwise really like:

MSNBC - news, for obvious reasons

The Atlantic - news, reviews, think pieces... probably most of us know this site?

The A.V. Club - This is a pop culture website, an offset of the satirical The Onion newspaper. It's got a trademark "snarky" tone in its reporting on film, television, etc. I think it's seen better days (a lot of its strongest journalists/writers left a couple of years ago), but it still has some pretty strong reviews of film and television.

A Good Movie To Watch - this is a site dedicated to sharing good films and television shows to watch, when you've got a spare few hours. It focuses primarily on indie or underseen things that you may have heard of, but never seen, or things you didn't know existed. The descriptions of each film/show is written by ordinary people as if you were telling a friend about it. I just wrote the description for a show called "Rectify", for instance.

MatthewSteele

Registered
Reaction score
I've been on the look out for new online communities as well. Currently I spend a lot of time on Reddit, which has a community for basically anything. Not a lot of ways to build relationships but a good way to get a lot of discussion in.

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
I started using Discord really often nearly a year ago, and I'm part of six servers. Joined the service two years ago. Three of the servers I spend most of my Discord time on. For gaming I'm a frequent Halo Waypoint visitor, having been a Halo fan for a long time (13 to 14 years, ish) and I follow 343 Industries - the current developers - closely to look for entry level job postings. I'm also on TombRaiderForums, which is an alright forum. Joined there almost two years ago. Started playing Tomb Raider in 2014, well after the reboot game came out (2013).

I have a Twitch.tv account, from which I occasionally stream games. Usually I watch people.

Used to be part of a writing forum - LegendFire. It got shut down last September and a few members, including myself, joined here. We have a server that hardly anyone uses, but I'm there often (one of the three I use the most).