Praises For

mecoreyg

Registered
Reaction score
How do you guys get “Praises for” to include in your book? Do you just send an unedited/unreleased copy to your friends or famous people?

Any help on this would be great. I am writing my first Christian book on leadership, ministry and life.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
You're talking about favorable advance reviews. You get them by writing a riveting, well-edited book (don't EVER send unedited copies to anyone--really, that's like walking around in your underwear). Then you send it ONLY to people who have told you in advance that they want to read it. And only about a third of those will actually follow through. In your case, I'd contact clergy/leaders from similar faith backgrounds as your own.

Don't send unsolicited copies. That's spam, and you really don't want to build a reputation for doing that.

Other than that, you join the rest of us who scratch and grovel for reviews. They're hard to get, especially with Amazon's tightened regulations. It's a constant problem until you develop a large enough readership that it's not. 'Fraid there's no magic solution here.

ETA: It's okay to send unedited copies to beta readers. That's kinda the whole point of that exercise. I was speaking of a review situation. :)

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
How do you guys get “Praises for” to include in your book? .

Your publisher will no doubt have some suggestions on how to approach this. I would not recommend sending copies of the book or manuscript to anyone you don't know. And not to your friends, either, unless your friends are well known in their own right.

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
Well in my case, this is what my agent is for. Am I wrong in assuming that is usually their job? Your agent and your publisher should be getting a handle on this.

I have had a dream list of people I want to review my book and I gave it my agent. We aren't there yet and that's so far the last I have heard of it.

Last edited:

mecoreyg

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your info. I noticed a lot of Christian books have a section (1-2 pages) called “Praise For (book titles)” before the ToC that has other leaders and pastors recommending/praising either about the book or the author. Usually a 2-3 sentence praise.

mecoreyg

Registered
Reaction score
It would be to friends who I know personally and yes, some are well known

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well in my case, this is what my agent is for. Am I wrong in assuming that is usually their job? Your agent and your publisher should be getting a handle on this.

I have had a dream list of people I want to review my book and I gave it my agent. We aren't there yet and that's so far the last I have heard of it.

I've never heard of such a thing. Agents are primarily responsible for providing feedback on their clients' writing, identifying potential markets for their clients' books, using their contacts within the trade to find a buyer for their books, negotiating deals for print, ebook and other rights, and monitoring royalty payments. Getting the book into reviewers' hands is the purview of the publisher.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
What mrsmig said--getting blurbs is more your publisher's job, though they might ask if you have any contacts that might blurb you. And they don't always want them--my first publisher did not (though they used pull quotes from Booklist and Kirkus on my covers.) Though they look pretty, the consensus seems to be they don't accomplish much.

Where your agent comes in handy is when you're at the receiving end of blurb requests--they can serve as a go-between.

mecoreyg

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.. this is helpful. Any more is welcome

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

As others have already said, agents don't get involved in sending out review copies. That's the job of a publisher. It should happen after signing, but well before publication, to ensure reviews are synchronised to appear at publication.