Myers-Briggs and You

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score
A professor of mine once had us take this test as an assignment, and I was surprised at how "on the nose" the results were. I'm INFJ, and it's supposed to be one of the rarest, but one of the career paths is writing. So it's rare in the general population, but I'm guessing pretty prevalent here? If so - I'm glad to have found my tribe :)

Free online test here

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I hope to hell it wasn't a professor of psychology, heh.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Took the test ages ago - It indicated that I'm an ENFJ - Guess I'm an exception to the Most writers are introverts rule? :Shrug:

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score
I hope to hell it wasn't a professor of psychology, heh.

lol, it was a communications class. I take it you aren't a fan of personality tests? I'm not going to wager anything serious on the results, just sort of interesting. :)

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score
Took the test ages ago - It indicated that I'm an ENFJ - Guess I'm an exception to the Most writers are introverts rule? :Shrug:

I just heard something the other day debunking the writer/introvert thing..but my memory sucks and I don't know where it was.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
heh. From a "broad brush" perspective, those tests can be accurate. I remember having to take the test years ago as part of an outplacement program when the company I worked for was sold. When I walked in wearing a black shirtwaist dress and a white blazer, the facilitator/instructor said, "I can see where you might not have been a personality match for the company." I said, "And I can see a "J" is in your own profile." Was in mine, too, dontcha know: INTJ.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score

Introvert and extrovert on the Myers Briggs has nothing to do about being an extravert or an introvert. First the test itself has to do about preferences and not simply who you are. Think of it as being right-handed and signing your name: it is natural and your preference and comes automatically without thinking. You can sign with your left hand but it is forced, you have to concentrate more but it doesn't mean that you can't do. That's what the pairs for each initial means, a preference and with all preferences it can be more or less define.

Now back to the Introvert / extrovert scale it has to do is where people draw their energy and not how outgoing you are. Think of it as a battery, an introvert is like a robot that is battering operated that draws its energy from the inside, more likely to reflect on things before speaking. An extrovert is a solar operated robot it draws its energy from the outside like people who like bouncing ideas off other people.

So the introvert being typical writer is pretty much fluff. A writer can be either or depending on where they like to draw their energy from.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
lol, it was a communications class. I take it you aren't a fan of personality tests? I'm not going to wager anything serious on the results, just sort of interesting. :)

I think personality measures are interesting.

It irks me that that dippy game has gained fame as anything but a game is all, sorry. People think it's some sort of psychological test.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Introvert and extrovert on the Myers Briggs has nothing to do about being an extravert or an introvert. First the test itself has to do about preferences and not simply who you are. Think of it as being right-handed and signing your name: it is natural and your preference and comes automatically without thinking. You can sign with your left hand but it is forced, you have to concentrate more but it doesn't mean that you can't do. That's what the pairs for each initial means, a preference and with all preferences it can be more or less define.

Now back to the Introvert / extrovert scale it has to do is where people draw their energy and not how outgoing you are. Think of it as a battery, an introvert is like a robot that is battering operated that draws its energy from the inside, more likely to reflect on things before speaking. An extrovert is a solar operated robot it draws its energy from the outside like people who like bouncing ideas off other people.

So the introvert being typical writer is pretty much fluff. A writer can be either or depending on where they like to draw their energy from.

Both handedness and, to a point, introversion or not, are set in the womb. To me, that's not a preference.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
....When I walked in wearing a black shirtwaist dress and a white blazer, the facilitator/instructor said, "I can see where you might not have been a personality match for the company." I said, "And I can see a "J" is in your own profile." Was in mine, too, dontcha know: INTJ.
:roll:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The MBTI instrument has four sets of letters:

E and I stand for Extraversion and Introversion—indicating whether you get energy from being around people or from time spent alone.

S and N stand for Sensing and Intuition—indicating whether you become aware of specific facts and concrete details or prefer to focus on hunches and the big picture.

T and F stand for Thinking and Feeling—indicating whether you tend to make decisions based on logical analysis and the principles involved or prefer to decide by considering your values and promoting harmony for the people involved.

J and P stand for Judging and Perceiving—indicating whether you prefer your life to be planned and like it when things are decided or prefer to go with the flow and like keeping your options open

Last edited:

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Both handedness and, to a point, introversion or not, are set in the womb. To me, that's not a preference.

Agree to disagree on that one.

This test is not about who you are but how you prefer to do things or treat information.

With this test it is common to have extreme (like extreme preference for one way over the other) or you have people who don't show a clear preference for one end of the scale or the other. There is also regular instances where people preferences changes over the years through experience. For example, people who start as Perceiving and years later for X/Y reasons find themselves much more comfortable doing thing with a Judging preference.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
....When I walked in wearing a black shirtwaist dress and a white blazer, the facilitator/instructor said, "I can see where you might not have been a personality match for the company." I said, "And I can see a "J" is in your own profile." Was in mine, too, dontcha know: INTJ.
:roll:

It's my mouth, it's ALWAYS my mouth whut gets me in deep.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That one in particular is a fraud, no better than a horoscope. The people who promote it scam millions from HR departments of big companies.

If you read your horoscope most people think it applies to them and the other signs don't. It's the nature of 'cold reading'.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Agree to disagree on that one.

This test is not about who you are but how you prefer to do things or treat information.

With this test it is common to have extreme (like extreme preference for one way over the other) or you have people who don't show a clear preference for one end of the scale or the other. There is also regular instances where people preferences changes over the years through experience. For example, people who start as Perceiving and years later for X/Y reasons find themselves much more comfortable doing thing with a Judging preference.

Oh, I wasn't at ALL talking about the Meyers-Briggs game. It's a silly game.

I was talking about handedness (which is absolutely innate and set before birth -- not that people can't learn to do something with the other hand and that some people are a bit in the middle but in general) and actual scientific measures of introversion which are trackable from the womb.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been INFJ for at least 20 years... we also took those tests in school, and these days, it comes across your FB feed once in a while or bump into it in other random places on the internet...

Way better than "What Kind of Breakfast Cereal Are You" or "What's Your Spirit Animal" kind of quizzes that used to be popular. :p

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I've been INFJ for at least 20 years... we also took those tests in school, and these days, it comes across your FB feed once in a while or bump into it in other random places on the internet...

Way better than "What Kind of Breakfast Cereal Are You" or "What's Your Spirit Animal" kind of quizzes that used to be popular. :p

Yet very similar!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

There are only 16 M-B types, but how many breakfast cereals? I reckon the breakfast cereals one would be more nuanced.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
And there are like 10 million species on Earth, so that's endless options for Spirit Animal.

Most of you are beetles, mind you.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
There are only 16 M-B types, but how many breakfast cereals? I reckon the breakfast cereals one would be more nuanced.

You Are:

HONEY NUT CHEERIOS

You may be bland on the outside, but inside you're full of the taste of slightly sweetened cardboard! Your best assets are your portability, and your astonishing ability to turn into spackling compound when mixed with milk. Your perfect mate is Froot Loops - sweeter, more colorful, but attracted to your reliability. Your sworn enemy is Cap'n Crunch. Because Cap'n Crunch.

Share your result on Facebook!

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

I agree, but may be biased.

I got THE WRONG CORN. That test was clearly bogus!!
You got: Corn Pops

Gotta have your Pops! You’re sweet and a total softy on the inside. But people shouldn’t be fooled. You’re a total bad ass when you want to be.

Last edited: