Canadian writer here!

Heskett

Registered
Reaction score
Hey-o!

The fact that I'm Canadian doesn't mean I ONLY want to talk to Canadians. Just sometimes hard to track them down in a particular forum. So the title is like my personal Canadian Bat Signal but in the form of a maple leaf in the sky. haha! I enjoy talking to everyone!

I'm a screenwriter who's strengths are in sci-fi, horror, and time travel. But I mostly enjoy creating stories where two different unrelated topics are meshed together and trying to make them work.

I used to dabble in short stories and novels but found that I express my stories better as a screenwriter. As a movie and TV junkie, this is no surprise to me.

Anyway, that's a bit about me. I look forward to seeing some of you around!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

divingbird

Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I just joined up too. I'm American but I love Canada and want to talk to more Canadians too!!

I'm also a movie/TV junkie, and when I write I tend to visualize everything that way, but for some reason I haven't dabbled in screenwriting that much. I was involved in film for a while, but it's such a collaborative art and I'm better at working on my own. Still, it's my favorite medium. I guess I shouldn't be saying that as a writer lol

"Two different unrelated topics are meshed together" — that sounds really interesting! I like doing the same thing. Do you have any examples?

Last edited:

Heskett

Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I just joined up too. I'm American but I love Canada and want to talk to more Canadians too!!

I'm also a movie/TV junkie, and when I write I tend to visualize everything that way, but for some reason I haven't dabbled in screenwriting that much. I was involved in film for a while, but it's such a collaborative art and I'm better at working on my own. Still, it's my favorite medium. I guess I shouldn't be saying that as a writer lol

"Two different unrelated topics are meshed together" — that sounds really interesting! I like doing the same thing. Do you have any examples?

Hi! I'm like you. I am better at working on my own when I create something but I have a friend of mine who's also a screenwriter and we'll collaborate on things together every once and awhile. It makes for an interesting exercise! One of us will build a "skeleton" of the main plot points we want to hit in a particular story. Then we'll each do a scene or two and pass it back and forth. What happens some times is that the scenes will take twists that we didn't expect. And as long as we hit the plot points along the way, it makes for a great way to keep us motivated!
But otherwise, I'm pretty solo on when I want to create things.

And as for some examples of two different unrelated topics meshed together:
-a demonic book that has the answers to everything AND a poker game.
-cleaning up a beach AND alternate realities
-lost socks in the dryer AND the history of Christmas stockings
-senior citizens AND a lost treasure Goonies adventure

Some are easier than others. lol But I try!

What kind of examples have you dabbled with?

Last edited:

Heskett

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! I dabbled with screenwriting many years ago and found it damned hard, and you really have to nail dialogue.

I've very visual when I write. So I envision scenes. But for dialogue, I have a background in acting and theatre. So I say things out loud after I write them out. If they feel clunky, I'll rewrite them. It's not a perfect practice but it gets me close to what I want to say! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to AW!

Thanks Denevius! Looking forward to meeting all sorts of new people here! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hello fellow Canadian! Hope to see you around here!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks DanielSTJ. Nice to see other Canadians represented here. :)

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, best of luck

Soliloquill

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: I'm not Canadian, but my state of Ohio is close to it! Glad to have you on board.