Global Trade Item Number, Barcodes, ISBNs

nonfiction

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.breakdownacliniciansexperienceinabrokensystemofe.me
The editing of my manuscript is almost completed. The illustration for my cover is done (avatar). I'm starting to learn about the stuff that will make my self-published book official. Please help me with the following.

What are the benefits of a Global Trade Item Number?

Bowker told me that they issue ISBNs that include 13 and 10 (I already know 10 is the old way), thus only 13 will show up on advertisements. So then why do I see so many recent (after 13 arose) books on Amazon with BOTH 13 and 10?

Where is the best place to obtain a barcode?

Thank you!

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Don't worry about 10- and 13- digits...when you purchase ISBNs from Bowker, you'll get the 13-digit version. Use it. And re Amazon, are you sure you aren't seeing the ASIN, which is Amazon's ID number?

If you are planning a print edition through CreateSpace or IngramSpark, they will place a barcode in your cover file based on your ISBN. You don't have to get one separately. But in case you wondered, there are free barcode generators on line.

nonfiction

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.breakdownacliniciansexperienceinabrokensystemofe.me
Don't worry about 10- and 13- digits...when you purchase ISBNs from Bowker, you'll get the 13-digit version. Use it. And re Amazon, are you sure you aren't seeing the ASIN, which is Amazon's ID number?

If you are planning a print edition through CreateSpace or IngramSpark, they will place a barcode in your cover file based on your ISBN. You don't have to get one separately. But in case you wondered, there are free barcode generators on line.

Marissa,
Thanks for the reassurance regarding 13-digit from Bowker.

These are definitely not ASIN-Amazon ID numbers. For example, on a newly published book, there's ISBN-10: 1501178482 and ISBN-13: 978-1501178481. I notice the similarities now - 978 is added to the same #, and the last digit is different.

CreateSpace shut down.

I will inquire about the barcode with IngramSpark.

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Umm, where did you hear that CreateSpace shut down? I just went to www.createspace.com and it was alive and well. I have four books available for sale there, and have received no notification that they are closing.

The bar code will automatically be placed on your cover--you don't have to inquire about it.

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I'm sorry that you got stiffed in that way--at least they could have finished the projects they'd been paid for. I'd be upset too! But their services were overpriced and not very good, from everything I've heard--finding freelance editors, designers, and formatters will get you a much better product in the end.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The editing of my manuscript is almost completed. The illustration for my cover is done (avatar). I'm starting to learn about the stuff that will make my self-published book official. Please help me with the following.

Your avatar is very dark and not at all clear in thumbnail size--I can't make out what it is even if I enlarge it. As most people will only see it at that thumbnail size, you might want to rethink using this design.

What are the benefits of a Global Trade Item Number?

GTINs aren't usually used for books. You need an ISBN instead.

Bowker told me that they issue ISBNs that include 13 and 10 (I already know 10 is the old way), thus only 13 will show up on advertisements. So then why do I see so many recent (after 13 arose) books on Amazon with BOTH 13 and 10?

Where is the best place to obtain a barcode?

Thank you!

The last time I bought ISBNs they came with barcodes, but it was a while ago. You should only ever buy them from the original source, as they are registered to the publisher that bought them: so if you buy one from a self publishing services provider, for example, they will be listed as the publisher of your book.