YA/NA hybrid question - re: agents

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I just finished a story with a main character who's in her late teens to two years into her twenties. The first third of the book takes place in the last two years of high school, then the final two thirds in the four years of college. The problem she faces requires that story arc.

I assumed that this wouldn't fit in the YA category, and the NA category doesn't seem to have taken off much in the publishing world. So I just decided to self-publish and see if any of my few hundred followers bite.

However I took the finished novel with me to a movie/TV catchup night with a friend. It was a POD copy with front and back book covers and typeset and all. I just wanted to wave it around and show I really had been working on something instead of ignoring her in the six weeks it took me to write the book. (I was working almost 24/7 with time out only for sleeping and fixing food and so not very present in her life.)

Normally she just reads the first page or two of my books and says nice things about the beginning. This time she was hooked and stayed up late to finish the entire book. Then she told be to send it to agents who focus on YA.

Now, she's a savvy and successful business woman and fairly hard-headed and grounded. She prefers more factual books and contemporary books than I do, who read and write several genres. I explained to her about the central focus of most YA books and that NA has only a small market share. And that hybrid YA/NA books have had little success in today's markets.

She said nonetheless, when she was a teen she'd have loved this book, and even today enjoyed it. So hustle it to some YA agents and see what happens.

My problem is I just spent a couple of hours going over agents' submission guidelines and can't find anyone who might reasonably be interested. Do you have any agent recommendations?

CJMatthewson

Registered
Reaction score
Surely if you currently have plans to self-pub into a niche market, there's nothing to lose by searching for an agent, and if that doesn't work out then self-pubbing is a fallback you know you can rely on.

I'd advise looking for YA agents who are searching for your particular genre - so many kids read above their age that as long as it's not too explicit the NA stuff should be just fine. I used to read about 18-20 year olds as a teenager and never really had a problem.

Other than high school/college, is there any particular genre to the book? I can have a look through my copy of Writers'/Artists' yearbook to see if I can find any agents that may fit the mould.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused about about the POD copy of your book. Is it currently published?

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
It's unusual for YA books to follow the MC into college. Far from impossible, but the examples that come to my mind are by already-successful authors, not debuts (Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, for instance.)

I wouldn't try to sell it as NA for the reasons you cited, but what about just adult? Adult novels can have teenage-to-college-age protagonists and coming-of-age themes. The difference is often in pacing, in language, in the way the themes are treated. Speaking in very broad terms: Adult books are likely to feature less stylistic immediacy (past rather than present tense, for instance; not to imply all YA is in present tense) and retrospective elements (i.e., an older narrator looking back on her teen years).

For instance, Claire Messud's The Burning Girl — the characters are in their mid-teens for most of the story, IIRC, and the themes are coming of age, but the adult narrator is looking back on that period of her life, so it's an adult book. (Honestly, had the author been known for her previous YA rather than adult fiction, I think it could have been published as YA, too, because the retrospective frame isn't a huge part of the book. By contrast, in The Girls, there are whole chapters set in the present when the narrator is an adult, even though she's 14 for most of the story.)

If you and your friend think the story would appeal to teens specifically, YA is worth a try. I would make sure, though, to read enough recent contemp YA to have a sense of what's selling.

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
If you and your friend think the story would appeal to teens specifically, YA is worth a try. I would make sure, though, to read enough recent contemp YA to have a sense of what's selling.

Good advice, which as it happens I've already been taking, being a fan of YA. That is the reason why I was/am dubious about trying that market. It's basically sci-fi set about 10 years from now. It's not action-packed though there is some, and I can't figure out how to sell it to an agent. So I published it on Amazon. Here is the cover.
elocover-25-pcent.jpg

Margot, very effective social media presence and a good web site: simple, attractive, easy to navigate. You're doing everything right!

Last edited:

GreenGrape

Registered
Reaction score
I’m in a similar situation with my second MS. One character is 18 and the other (split Pov) is 22.
I’m planning on going across a mix of YA and Adult reps. I’m hoping that a little feedback may steer me in the right direction for subsequent submissions. Good luck (and how lovely your friend enjoyed it so much!)