• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Chapters in an Epistolary Format

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
I am drafting an epistolary novel, following an outline I created. The narration starts out as one main character writing to herself, and then a second character is introduced and writes back. The narration will be made up of letters back and forth between these characters, as well as some other documents, like newspaper articles. So far, there are no chapter delineations in my story. The letters vary in length, but I kind of feel that the breaks in between letters is enough of a break. Creating chapters would feel arbitrary at this point, and I fear it would break the flow of the story. If I recall correctly, THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER by Stephen Chbosky was separated by parts, but I don't remember if it also had chapters.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think chapters are necessary in epistolary stories?

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think chapters are necessary in epistolary stories?

It's entirely at the author's discretion. There's no rule. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society is divided into two parts, but no chapters.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The letters & other pieces in an epistolary work already divide it into meaningful chunks. Chapters are an artificial device, not necessary for storytelling. You're not required to have them unless you think the additional segmentation is useful.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep- not sure why the chapters idea crossed the OP's mind if the story is a logical and sequential exchange of communications.

TheFabulist

Registered
Reaction score
Look at USA by John Dos Passos or Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner for very good examples of this approach.

AmericanaPrime

Registered
Reaction score
I found Dracula to be the most effective epistolary, as well as segments of Frankenstein. As I recall, Dracula had both letter and chapter breaks.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with benbenberi, the letters already divide themselves into a chapter-like format.

Just my 0.02c! :D

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Dangerous Liaisons is an epistolary novel.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
If our story is compelling a chapter end for our readers is just a convenient place to stop for a quick run to the bathroom or get a drink or snack before they rush on in the story.

Chapters are more a tool for us, to organize the sections of a story. For instance, one set of letters are from one country on a tour, the next chapter from the next country, a third chapter for a third country. We can use them however we want.

In my latest novel my MC is going to the US Air Force Academy. I use a chapter for each year, and a chapter for each summer. Some years I break into two chapters, ditto for some summers.