M/T/S Reading Recs:

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I need some summer reading recs. Stuff I have a decent chance of finding at a public library. I've been hunting and pecking through the shelves on my own, but that's been a very inefficient process thus far, since they're not sorted by genre.

Last stuff I read that I really liked was some of Tana French's stuff. Before that, Laurie R. King. Gillian Flynn. A couple other authors whose names I'm spacing on, and may remember later.

I'm not as much into police procedurals, but I won't turn my nose up at them if they check my other boxes. I like dark and twisty with a lot of character development, especially since that's what I'm trying to write and I want to absorb some more examples of that done well.

What have you all been liking recently?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
CS Harris' Sebastian St. Cyr series. She's up to 7 or 8 now, I think. I grab them from the library as soon as they're released.

Jennifer Hillier's newest, Jar of Hearts. Cannot recommend all of her books highly enough.

I will unashamedly recommend my own earlier books: Force of Habit, Back in the Habit, and Veiled Threat. (Alas, the chance of my newest books in the series being in the library is iffy. New publisher is great with ebooks but uses CreateSpace instead of print runs. Libraries don't like that.)

Bruce Coffin's books. Mark Pryor's books.

What Doesn't Kill You by Aimee Hix

A Cold Day in Hell by Lissa Redmond

Elaine Viets' Dead End Jobs series

Everything by Catriona McPherson (the Dandy McGilver series and her darker standalones)

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Whaaaaaaaat actually my library does e-books through one drive and I have definitely seen the top book in your sig. I had no idea it was written-by-an-AWer book!

Thanks for all the other recs as well. :)

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Also try Sue Grafton's "Alphabet" series (A is for Alibi through Y is for Yesterday) featuring her intrepid private eye character Kinsey Milhorne. For an introduction to Grafton, you might look into her collection of shorts, Kinsey and Me. Most libraries carry Sue Grafton's books.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Looks like mine is no exception.

*adds to list*

Thanks, pdichellis!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been glomming on to the Laurie. R. King Mary Russell and Sherlock books.

I love them. I love them So Very Much.

Here's a list.

Here's are covers and blurbs.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
ohmygosh! That Mary Russell series looks fantastic. And just in time, too—I'm nearing the end of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Seconding (thirding?) Laurie R. King's books. I've read all of them except the latest release for which I am currently seventh in the holds line. :p Not just the Russell series either--all her books are good.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
For great standalone books, especially if you like Tana French, Jamie Mason has two novels that are wonderful (and, thank heavens, another coming next year): Three Graves Full and Monday's Lie. A beautiful writer. I mean, she writes beautifully. And is beautiful. You know what I mean... :)

If you want a series, my fave in the world is probably Philip Kerr's Berlin Noir books. Fantabulous.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
For a book that develops an imaginative character: I'm about halfway through Fast Shuffle by David Black. An eccentric used car salesman lives as though he is a 1940s hard-boiled private eye. (Did I mention imaginative and eccentric?) As he stumbles through day-to-day life, trying to unravel "the mystery of it all," he discovers a real and deadly missing persons case. Whew, crazy fresh stuff! Found it at my library but not sure whether it's on a lot of other shelves.