Writer of fantasy here, happy to join an active writing community!

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm an avid fan of reading and writing fantasy. I've been writing for as long as I can remember. It took me writing several really awful novels (that will remain hidden forever on my hard drive) to learn my craft. I'm currently polishing up the fifth draft of a ~120k manuscript and am 50k into the first draft of completely different project. I also exchange writing with a few good friends and have provided in-line critiques on their own fantasy stories. This has helped me learn a lot about spotting potential improvements in my own writing.

Some of the best writing advice I've found has been from K. M. Weiland's website. Her posts about structuring plot and character arcs have really helped me and I highly recommend checking out her blog. I hope I can learn lots here, and share some of the tips I've picked up over the years as well! Nice to meet everyone. :)

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:
Nice to meet you EmmaSky. Welcome to AW :hi:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Best of luck on your novel, and welcome to AW!

PhoenixFlower

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. I love to write Fantasy as well. What kind of Fantasy do you like to write? For me, I like Middle Age Fantasy!

Again Welcome.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
welcome!!
This is a good place to be. I’m more of a sci-fi guy, but there’s a strong fantasy crowd here.

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!! :)

What kind of Fantasy do you like to write? For me, I like Middle Age Fantasy!

It's hard for me to choose a favourite, I've written epic fantasy and romantic fantasy and lots in between. Middle Ages fantasy is always a lot of fun! One of my current WIPs has a Middle Ages feel, but with some steampunk-esque elements thrown in thanks to the magic system.

This is a good place to be. I’m more of a sci-fi guy, but there’s a strong fantasy crowd here.

Awesome, that's great to hear!! I struggle to find fantasy readers/writers (or sci-fi, for that matter) where I live, so thank goodness for the internet. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, that's great to hear!! I struggle to find fantasy readers/writers (or sci-fi, for that matter) where I live, so thank goodness for the internet. :)

You are welcome to come over to the Castle and hang out. We currently have a story going and you would be welcome to join in. You can find it here: Royalty for the Week.

Another place I highly recommend is The Cantina over in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum, though I haven't stopped in the thread in some time. It is loaded with wonderful people and is a fun place to hang out. I'll warn you now, the name of the Cantina changes from time to time. It's currently The Mirror Cantina, so don't be thrown by the name changes. It is all the same place. I have given you a link to the first page so you can read about it in the very first post. Once you are finished, go ahead and go to the end of the thread. Introduce yourself and join in on the fun. :)

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Ambrosia, I'll be sure to check those out this week!! :)

Soliloquill

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Fantasy is my first love, so I'm always excited to meet other fantasy writers. I look forward to maybe seeing some of your work on the site :)

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone!!

Are you looking to self-publish it or send it off to agents?

I've never engaged in the good 'ol uphill battle of querying agents yet, so I think I'd like to give that a try first. That being said, I've done some research on self-publishing, advertising, promoting, etc. so that is something I'd still like to try in the future, too. I hear some authors have both traditionally and self-published books, which is kinda neat -- a bit of both worlds.

Welcome! Fantasy is my first love, so I'm always excited to meet other fantasy writers. I look forward to maybe seeing some of your work on the site :)

I see you're new here too, so likewise for you! :) What sort of fantasy do you like to write?

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
There is a whole wealth of information on these boards from people subbing to agents, having agents and subbing to publishers and also self-publishing people too, so you are in a great place to find out more before deciding which route you fancy trying for. Personally I went for agents first as it seems so difficult to make a name for yourself self-publishing.

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
There is a whole wealth of information on these boards from people subbing to agents, having agents and subbing to publishers and also self-publishing people too, so you are in a great place to find out more before deciding which route you fancy trying for. Personally I went for agents first as it seems so difficult to make a name for yourself self-publishing.

I'll check those boards out, thank you! There's sooo much here, it'll take me some time to familiarize myself with everything. And I agree, there are definitely challenges to self-publishing, but I do also like the idea of retaining the rights to my story, commissioning or designing my own covers, and seeing my marketing efforts directly impacting my success. On the other hand, having an agent rooting for me and who can help take my book to the next level would be amazing too (and seeing my books in bookstores...).

P.S. I just visited your Twitter and realized I'm already following you! (@EmmaSkysong). Awesome to connect here with a published author, and congrats on the release of your book. :)

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
Oh hello! So you are! :) There's a whole lot of published authors on here in all sorts of genres, all more than happy to share advice. Thanks for the congrats! It's going pretty well so far.

Small world! :) That's very cool, I look forward to meeting more writers and authors. And I'm really happy to hear your novel's release is going well! :hooray: