Lions Eat Rhino Poachers (Go Lions Go Lions Go Lions)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In a happy good news story, a group of poachers, armed with a high-powered rifle and axe, at least, snuck onto a reserve in South Africa to kill rhinos.

Then the hunters encountered a pride of lions, who said, basically, heh, nope (also likely ROAR!), and ate at least two and possibly three poachers. They left the human weaponry and some bits, because heh.

Go lions!!!

At least two suspected rhino poachers have been mauled to death and eaten by lions on a South African game reserve, officials say.

Rangers discovered the remains of two, possibly three, people in a lion enclosure in the Sibuya reserve, near the south-east town of Kenton-on-Sea.

A high-powered rifle and an axe were also found.

There has been a rise in poaching in Africa in recent years, to feed growing demand for rhino horn in parts of Asia.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:e2dance::e2dance::yessmiley:yessmiley:fistpump:fistpump:snoopy::snoopy:

I read somewhere that the lions had also peed on the poachers guns. Sort of a last little up yours:roll::roll:

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if they thought the poachers were after them? After all, from the lion's point of view, a trophy hunter and a poacher are pretty much the same thing.
If so, maybe the animals are wising up.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering if some behavioural science people would be willing to do a study on lions' responses to unarmed people passing by, versus people with long-guns? Charlie Russell, the naturalist who studied bears for years, claimed that bears reacted differently to the armed and unarmed. (No, they didn't immediately try to eat the unarmed.)
Heck, elephants are smart, can they tell the difference?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I am wondering if some behavioural science people would be willing to do a study on lions' responses to unarmed people passing by, versus people with long-guns? Charlie Russell, the naturalist who studied bears for years, claimed that bears reacted differently to the armed and unarmed. (No, they didn't immediately try to eat the unarmed.)
Heck, elephants are smart, can they tell the difference?

Well, a while back there was a study that claimed elephants can differentiate human languages enough to identify those more likely to be threats (link - saw it several places), so identifying those carrying deadly, long things that probably reek of gunpowder and nastiness would certainly be plausible, IMHO.

As for the story, isn't this how Lafcadio started - eating a hunter?

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
I laughed so fucking hard when I saw this story on the news.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Stories like this make me so happy & fill me with hope.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They ate two or possibly three poachers? Yikes. Not a lot of table scraps. Maybe the lions asked for a take home box--s6

Not a lot of fat or muscle on skinny humans compared to other large mammals.

I'm not going to celebrate someone's death. But this doesn't bother me that much either.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Maneaters usually end up getting shot. I hope that will not be the case with this pride.

And I hope these lions pass on their genes. I think the instinct of eating the hairless monkey's whenever they encounter them, will go a long way in preserving their species.

Having said all that. Jezus, the horror of being eaten alive.... Pfff... Damn...

R.A. Lundberg

Registered
Reaction score
They found three pairs of shoes, which probably indicates there were three poachers. Now, of course, there are just little piles of lion dung.
The only problem with this story is that once lions figure out humans are crunchy and taste good with catsup, they tend to take the easiest route to a food source. Let's hope they don't decide to start snacking on local villagers who aren't poaching Rhinos. Villagers are a lot easier to catch than, say, Zebra.
That said, go lions!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Maneaters usually end up getting shot. I hope that will not be the case with this pride.

And I hope these lions pass on their genes. I think the instinct of eating the hairless monkey's whenever they encounter them, will go a long way in preserving their species.

Having said all that. Jezus, the horror of being eaten alive.... Pfff... Damn...

Nah, they ate poachers, who'd encroached onto reserve land. I think they're fine. Humans couldn't get to the remains to retrieve them, because the pride was like, 'leftovers! We're saving those!' so they tranquilized a couple of the lions just to grab the bits and weaponry and back away. I haven't seen any talk of it being looked at in a bad light, or their being in danger.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, they ate poachers, who'd encroached onto reserve land. I think they're fine. Humans couldn't get to the remains to retrieve them, because the pride was like, 'leftovers! We're saving those!' so they tranquilized a couple of the lions just to grab the bits and weaponry and back away. I haven't seen any talk of it being looked at in a bad light, or their being in danger.

Good.