Favorite TV opening sequences

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My current binge-passion show (on Netflix, also on YouTube), The Disguiser, has a fantastic opening sequence. You can see it here. The show is a very intense, twisty spies-and-family drama set in Shanghai in 1939. The opening sequence does a great job setting the tone and mood.

recoveringandroid

Registered
Reaction score
American Gods and Hannibal both had incredible opening sequences. More recently, Legion season 2's opening monologues were the stuff of creepy dreams. <3

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
My current binge-passion show (on Netflix, also on YouTube), The Disguiser, has a fantastic opening sequence. You can see it here. The show is a very intense, twisty spies-and-family drama set in Shanghai in 1939. The opening sequence does a great job setting the tone and mood.

That was lovely, thanks.

I kept watching past the credits. It took me a while to understand what was going on. The period details are lovely enough that when they don’t quite work - like those rather too-modern, slightly fetishized blonde caucasian girls or, oh dear, that airplane interior - it’s a little bit of a letdown.

The ending credits are rather good too (They start at 44:42).

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
That was lovely, thanks.

I kept watching past the credits. It took me a while to understand what was going on.

The ending credits are rather good too (They start at 44:42).

I've gotten 23 episodes in, and so far it's a fantastic series.

The same production team, and many of the same cast, also made Nirvana in Fire, which is one of the most beautiful and well-written dramas I've ever seen. (Logline: like The Count of Monte Cristo in ancient China, except the goal isn't really revenge.) It also has a very beautiful, but very abstract/artistic, opening sequence: you can watch that on YouTube also. (The first episode opens with the worst min of the series IMO, some very dodgy CGI battle stuff, but after 3:11 it quickly gets into the real stuff.) And the closing sequence of NIF, starting at 42:14, is incredible. Watch it and fall in love!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Beverly Hillbillies

What? :Shrug:

I lurve me some Granny Clampett, and I know all the words to the theme song.

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
Today I love Westworld's, GOT's and Vikings' openings.
I've been surprised last year when someone showed me the 70's Wonder Woman show, such an enticing opening song.

As for cartoons, I remember Teen Titans classic opening, when there's trouble you know who to call, TEEN TITANS
:)

Wesley_S_Lewis

Boo Radley with a laptop
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.WesleySLewis.com
I'm glad to see that Westworld finally got a mention. I absolutely love that opening. I've become a big fan of the more artistic intros (akin to the classic James Bond title sequences) used by HBO's dramas and Marvel's Netflix shows.

I'm also a fan of some of the unabashedly over-the-top action intros from the '80s, such as Magnum P.I. and Airwolf.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Mozart in the Jungle (on Amazon Prime) has lovely artistic intros, very short, slightly 60s-styled. Season 2 intros are particular nice - you can see them all here.

Also the Season 4 intros. (I can't seem to find a compilation of the Season 3 intros.)

Last edited:

GreenGrape

Registered
Reaction score
Dexter is the only intro I NEVER skip.

Also a big fan of Buffy

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Oh, yeah, the Aeon Flux opening still makes me giddy.

I like the dialogue there. "You're out of control." "I take control."

Also...

"There is nothing wrong with your television. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are now controlling the transmission..."