Favorite TV opening sequences

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Title sequences to TV shows can be works of art in themselves. What are your favorite title sequences (regardless of the quality of the show itself?

Mine, in no particular order:
Game of Thrones
True Detective (season one)
Daredevil
Vikings
Black Sails

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Elementary: Perfectly captures the central conceit of the show, sometimes better than the show itself. Then that generic title card at the end ruins it. What's with that anyway? Are all shows set in NYC somehow contractually bound to show a brown-tinted skyline title card?

Northern Exposure: I just love everything about it - the moose, the music, the fact that it tells you everything you need to know about the show without any shots of the characters.

The Rockford Files: Again, the music accounts for a lot of this. But those slides do a great job of not just showing the characters but also introducing them and the kind of life they live.

Fringe:
I always wanted to do a spoof where there's a zoom out from some molecules to microcultures turning out to be mold and as we pan back, we learn where those cultures are and the title appears: FRIDGE. I also like how they varied it.

American Horror Story: I stopped watching after two seasons, but boy were those credits unsettling!

Honorary mention: Cowboy Bebop, mostly for the music but the visuals are fine, too. What's more impressive, though, are the end credits telling us an independent story the significance of which gets revealed way into the series.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lou Grant, the spin-off from the Mary Tyler Moore Show that was not a sitcom but a drama about the newspaper business. It started with a bird in the forest, where a tree is being cut down, proceeds to a paper mill, then huge rolls of paper being trucked to the newspaper's printing complex, then newspapers being bundled, papers loaded on trucks, a home delivery, and the paper ending up at the bottom of a birdcage.

When we watch a series on Netflix or Amazon, after three or four episodes we start skipping intros, even the good ones. Do you?

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Dexter - the mossie and the blood and the ham and the tomato sauce

Six Feet Under - that lone tree and the toe tag

I've got a Michael C Hall thing going.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, The Prisoner will always be my favorite.
As in Patrick McGoohan? I bought the series on DVD but haven't watched it yet.

Oooh there's another, Danger Man. For the music, which is my phone's ring tone.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
LAVERNE & SHIRLEY. no contest. lock thread.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I’m a sucker for a good sci fi opening. I loved the opening sequences on the various seasons of Babylon 5, which got darker and more epic as the seasons progressed.

Alien Nation has about an average visual opening sequence for a cop buddy show, but it has a terrific “alien” theme song (which apparently was based on the names of the producer’s wife and daughter spelled backwards).

The opening sequences of Doctor Who (yes, all of them, yes, even that one) have been visually stunning since 1963.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Yes to many of those already listed, and I'll add from HBO--Carnivale -- maybe 15 years ago? True Blood, and Rome.

And I'm still a sucker for some of the older shows' openings that weren't artsy but had songs where I still remember every word, All in the Family, Good Times, Welcome Back Kotter.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
As in Patrick McGoohan? I bought the series on DVD but haven't watched it yet.

I'm jealous. It's a hell of a ride.

The Rockford Files: Again, the music accounts for a lot of this. But those slides do a great job of not just showing the characters but also introducing them and the kind of life they live.

Honorary mention: Cowboy Bebop, mostly for the music but the visuals are fine, too. What's more impressive, though, are the end credits telling us an independent story the significance of which gets revealed way into the series.

Seconding both of these.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding Six Feet Under. The visuals are amazing, and that strange, melancholy musical theme: Six Feet Under

Opening credits for AMC's recent The Terror are brief but fabulous: The Terror

And of course, The Simpsons (which changes slightly with every episode, same as the closing credits for Bob's Burgers).

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The intro to PBS's Secrets of the Dead. Freaks me out every time!

All the Gerry Anderson series have a good openers (UFO, Space: 1999, Captain Scarlet, etc.)

Also, Diana Rigg and Patrick Goohan's The Avengers. The champagne glass shot get me every time.

And, not because I'm that fond of the series, but because it's a true cold war/space race wish fulfillment classic: The Jetsons. Complete with the Earth being blown up at the beginning!

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The classic British Avengers - captured the sometimes surreal nature of the series.

The Wild, Wild West - good theme, good summary of the show.

The Twilight Zone, of course. Iconic in its many variants.

Someone mentioned Doctor Who, which is one of the few instances where they found a theme that worked and stuck with it for decades.

CSI - great use of a popular song for a theme.

The various incarnations of the newer Star Treks, though Voyager was a favorite, particularly where the ship goes through the ice ring. Loved that bit.

The various Law & Order versions, but particularly the original and Criminal Intent.

Farscape did a decent job setting the mood and summarizing the show.

The Expanse, though they tend to cut it on the broadcast versions; it alters as the show goes on and things change. Gets a great sense of the scope of the series.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
The champagne glass shot get me every time.

And she shoots off the cork with a revolver from the hip!

Two series starring Edward Woodward: Callan, a simple opening sequence introducing a complex character; and The Equalizer, although there's a real problem with the ratio of women to men in that. I'd like to think if they re-made the series today, they'd have a good think about the lazy imagery.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
And she shoots off the cork with a revolver from the hip!

Two series starring Edward Woodward: Callan, a simple opening sequence introducing a complex character; and The Equalizer, although there's a real problem with the ratio of women to men in that. I'd like to think if they re-made the series today, they'd have a good think about the lazy imagery.

Ah, yes - The Equalizer. Still my personal definition of a show that stands the test of time.

(As a kid, the sibling was a Hunter fan, which came on just after. We tuned in a little early and saw about 10-15 minutes of the end of one episode. Today, I cannot recall a single scene or line from Hunter, but I remember those 10-15 minutes of The Equalizer... Finally saw the show many years later when it reran on A&E, and enjoyed it - well most of it. Like many, it stayed on a little too long, and they never should've tried with that new guy after EW had his stroke; really should've handed the show over to Mickey rather than the new guy.)

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought Star Trek Voyager's was exceptionally beautiful - the music really got to me.

Mad Men, obviously. So sleek and moody and perfect.

I've really enjoyed the intros for two new Australian shows (one season each so far) - Pulse and Harrow. Respectively, terrific representations of their stories.

Last edited: