Copyright Email?

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Today I tried to publish a box set of three of my novels that I've already published on Amazon separately.

They sent me this email:

Hello,

Thank you for publishing with Amazon. Copyright is important to us � we want to make sure that no author or other copyright holder has his or her books sold by anyone else. To publish your book, please respond with documentation confirming your publishing rights within four days:

Examples of documentation we cannot accept are:

- A personal statement by you that you have the publishing rights
- A copyright application for which registration has not been confirmed
- Contracts that have not been signed by all parties

Examples of acceptable documentation are:

- If you are the author and you are republishing your book after your publication rights have been reverted to you, a signed reversion letter from your former publisher
- A signed contract between you and the author granting you the rights to publish the book in the territories, languages and formats you have selected
- An e-mail from the address listed on the author's (or their agent's) official website confirming that you have the rights to publish their book in the territories, languages and formats you have selected

I just wanted to check what proof I can show in my reply to Amazon, other than replying from my email address. Books 2 and 3 in the box set are with kindle select, whilst book 1 is on Amazon for free and other sites too. Do I mention that also?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I'm panicking a bit here.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
First, check that the email has come from Amazon and isn't a scam.

If all is legitimate, the obvious thing to do is to provide them with one of these three things:

Examples of acceptable documentation are:

- If you are the author and you are republishing your book after your publication rights have been reverted to you, a signed reversion letter from your former publisher
- A signed contract between you and the author granting you the rights to publish the book in the territories, languages and formats you have selected
- An e-mail from the address listed on the author's (or their agent's) official website confirming that you have the rights to publish their book in the territories, languages and formats you have selected

If you can't do any of those things, I'd contact Amazon and tell them, and ask them what to do next. If they're happy for you to publish the books as separate editions they should also be happy for you to publish a box-set like this.

Just a thought: you have used the same email address and log-in details for the separate editions and the box set, haven't you? If not, that might be what's triggered this.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you.

Yes I've used the same email address, but I do change my password regularly. I replied to their email confirming I'm the sole author of all three novels. I just hope that's enough.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon always sends those at random. Just reply back that you are the author. Just a simple sentence stating that should be enough. I've gotten these emails through the years and so have many authors. Nothing to be alarmed about but make sure you get back to them within the five days.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cool pop. I replied to them a couple of days ago and they published my box set now.

I assume that means it's all sorted, although I haven't had a reply back from Amazon themselves though.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cool pop. I replied to them a couple of days ago and they published my box set now.

I assume that means it's all sorted, although I haven't had a reply back from Amazon themselves though.

You're welcome!