• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What is the correct way to write this?

tammons

Registered
Reaction score
It's late. 11 p.m.

Or would it be...

It's late, 11 p.m.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'd choose the first. The first is a full sentence plus a fragment; the second is a run-on.

The only mistakes I see in either of these sentences is p.m. should be pm or PM.

The Chicago Manual of Style suggests lower-case abbreviations (a.m. and p.m.), but I've seen it your way as well.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the colon's just fine. AM/PM, am/pm, and a.m./p.m. are all correct. The most important things to remember are to be consistent and to follow house style.

tammons

Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure, but I don't think am/pm is correct.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
The Associated Press Stylebook:
4 p.m.

The Chicago Manual of Style
4 p.m. (recommended)
Also 4 PM or 4 P.M. (with PM in small capitals)

Garner's Modern English Usage:
4 p.m. or 4 PM (with PM in small capitals)

The Gregg Reference Manual:
4 p.m. or 4 P.M. (with PM in small capitals)

So, yeah, I should have placed the am and pm in small caps.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, unless you're writing for a specific market that requests a specific style, it doesn't matter.

What's important is that you are consistent.

The typesetter's gonna be the final decision maker, and may use a special glyph.

I'd suggest not using small caps; that's a potential PITA if the book is going to be published as an ebook down the road.

Mostly, though, just pick one and be absolutely consistent.

tammons

Registered
Reaction score
Actually I prefer lower case am/pm and at one time I figured screw it.

But since it is not acceptable I changed it. Had two books written with am/pm, but changed everything to a.m./p.m.

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
In a novel one wouldn't write 11 p.m. It would be eleven p.m., with the hour spelled out.

Journalistic writing would say 11:00 p.m. Style has to do with what you're writing.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
In a novel one wouldn't write 11 p.m. It would be eleven p.m., with the hour spelled out.

Journalistic writing would say 11:00 p.m. Style has to do with what you're writing.

I reckon I'd take it one step further than this and take out the p.m./PM/pm altogether.

It's late: after eleven.

It's late. Eleven, maybe ten past.

etc. etc.

PhoenixFlower

Registered
Reaction score

I think it depends. If the character is seeing a digital clock using 11 p.m. would still be viable and accurate. However, if it is in dialogue then I would personally write it as eleven p.m.

However, in the grand scheme of things I don't think it really matters as long as you are consistent. Just my opinion on the matter.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The issue of capitalization/punctuation of these things will almost certainly come down to an editor's preference, so I wouldn't worry much over it. But I also like what Anna suggested above. If your setting is at night, you don't need to specify the p.m. Likewise if it is morning, you don't need to specify the a.m. If you haven't already set up the scene as morning or evening, there are a lot of simple descriptive ways to make this clear.

caw

Last edited: