Feedback for a High Fantasy book cover.

PhoenixFlower

Registered
Reaction score
NHajKzT.jpg

I basically just want a general opinion of it. If worse comes to worse I want to use this as an ebook cover if I can't get traditionally published. I guess the main question is would you buy the book based on the cover, why or why not?

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I think it looks great! ....except for the guy's head. It doesn't blend with the rest of his colors and lighting and looks photoshopped in.The font is excellent and the feel is definitely fantastical and well-blended, but that head just jumps out too much.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. It's too obvious that the head doesn't belong to the body. A good photoshopper could probably play with it to make it blend better, though.

In general, though, this looks like a good cover that would make someone looking for an apocalyptic sort of book pick it up. I doubt anyone's going to say "It looks interesting, but on closer examination the head is wonky, so I don't think I'll read it."

Last edited:

Sarahrizz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingstudiosarah.blogspot.com
If I looked at it to consider buying it, I think I'd pass on it.
First, I'd assume it's about that guy developing super powers. If that is not what your story is about, that alone might tell you a lot.
Next... The guy... while his head looks strangely photopasted on to the body, the body looks naked. Which is not really what I go for in a book, but then I'm not all readers. Another thing, the buildings around him look odd. Like they don't all belong on the same street. Otherwise, good title, and nice font.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I basically just want a general opinion of it. If worse comes to worse I want to use this as an ebook cover if I can't get traditionally published. I guess the main question is would you buy the book based on the cover, why or why not?

Thanks for the feedback!

I don't know that suggests high fantasy so much as superhero or urban fantasy, personally.

If you're looking at trade publishing, why work on a cover? Just for fun?

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with others who've pointed out that this artwork isn't reading as "high" fantasy. Maybe you're marketing it under the wrong genre...?

I also shrank the artwork down to the typical sizes used by websites like Amazon and Barnes & Noble, and found that the title disappears into the background. That's the problem with busy covers like these; they don't show well on websites. The title itself seems too small and a bit too low on the page.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
To me, because the bright blue ends right at the edge of the taller buildings, my initial impression is that it's 3 images sandwiched together. Even after noticing that the lightning goes over those buildings a little, I can't past that impression, especially since the one side is curved to follow the line of the buildings and the other side goes straight up the cathedral.

I also thought the dude was naked at first. Otherwise, I like the way the dust of his destruction has risen up across him and the buildings.

It says urban fantasy to me.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
I think it looks great, apart from his head. I'd also change font colour to something that stands out more, but everything else is really good.

PhoenixFlower

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who replied. It seems a lot of people think urban fantasy or something of the sorts. I will need to think about what to do for an ebook cover, or how to change it so it seems more high fantasy.

If you're looking at trade publishing, why work on a cover? Just for fun?

I personally just like to have all my basis covered. Just knowing I have a fall back plan helps me with writing.

I agree with others who've pointed out that this artwork isn't reading as "high" fantasy. Maybe you're marketing it under the wrong genre...?

Possibly, but I tried to make sure the buildings represented a middle age vibe. The whole point of the story is it largely takes place in the one city.

First, I'd assume it's about that guy developing super powers.

No superpowers or nudity. The guy in the cover is not the MC. It is a representation of something that happens toward the end of the book.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Possibly, but I tried to make sure the buildings represented a middle age vibe. The whole point of the story is it largely takes place in the one city.

Like others, I got an urban fantasy vibe from this, and I'll tell you why: the building architecture is familiar. Earth setting + magical figure = urban fantasy.

No superpowers or nudity. The guy in the cover is not the MC. It is a representation of something that happens toward the end of the book.

I'd absolutely dress whoever you put on the cover of the book. Nudity (or semi-nudity) sends a specific message.

FWIW I think the cover has a nice vibe, although as others have pointed out it could use a little artistic polishing. I love the font treatment, even if the color needs changing.

(And too I always mock up a cover for a WIP. Feels like casting a wee spell of hope toward the future. :))

NateCrow

Registered
Reaction score
I also came to comment on the appearance of the title. I think it could be more prominent, maybe with a more bolded style of font, and maybe in a color that doesn't blend into the background as much. You want that title to "pop".

If you want it to fit better, you could always take the "the", shrink it down a little and put it on the line above.

I'm not a book cover designer or anything though. Just one guy with an opinion.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that you've scaled your cover down a bit, it looks as if the top line of your book's title is slightly tilted. I don't know if that's so, or just the perspective playing tricks on my eyes.

Besides the buildings looking more modern than medieval, I think the male figure is also skewing viewer's expectations about the genre. You've got a clean-shaven guy wearing a short, neat, contemporary hairstyle. The figure itself resembles those anonymous bare-chested models you see on the covers of romance novels.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I read the setting as modern on a blacktop road. The ones on the left are obviously historical buildings but the ones on the right could be contemporary. All together they seem crowded and urban.

PhoenixFlower

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied.

I think the male figure is also skewing viewer's expectations about the genre. You've got a clean-shaven guy wearing a short, neat, contemporary hairstyle. The figure itself resembles those anonymous bare-chested models you see on the covers of romance novels.

I honestly never even thought about the male figure in that way. Thanks for the information!

It seems I have some work and editing to do and a new direction to help me move forward with this novels book cover!