Dialog box triggered upon leaving forum topic page

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
It's kinda new for the past few days.

Repro steps:

1) Get onto AW, select a forum, then topic. Any topic page that has the quick reply box at the bottom will do. No need to click into it.
2) Open a second browser tab.
3) Exit AW.
4) You get the "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" dialog with the mention that edited contents will be lost. What contents? I didn't touch no nothing.

Can repro on Edge and Chrome on Windows 10 (17134.137)
Yes, I did a complete nuke of every cookie and history and download and all-that-crap data from both browsers.

-cb

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It's kinda new for the past few days.

Repro steps:

1) Get onto AW, select a forum, then topic. Any topic page that has the quick reply box at the bottom will do. No need to click into it.
2) Open a second browser tab.
3) Exit AW.
4) You get the "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" dialog with the mention that edited contents will be lost. What contents? I didn't touch no nothing.

Can repro on Edge and Chrome on Windows 10 (17134.137)
Yes, I did a complete nuke of every cookie and history and download and all-that-crap data from both browsers.

-cb

When you say "Exit" do you mean close the tab, log off, what?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea why that's happening; nothing's been changed on vBulletin or AW. As you probably know that's the standard dialog response if the forum thinks you have started a response to a thread/post.

It's triggered by the Post (and I mean the JavaScript term Post) function in JavaScript.

It may have to do with a new JavaScript engine on Windows, but that's rank speculation on my part.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The exact wording is "Do you want to leave this site? Changes you made may not be saved. {LEAVE} {STAY}". I didn't do anything but stare at the page before closing the tab.

Hope this helps narrow it down.

-cb

{label} being the buttons.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Cindyt's observation is interesting; JavaScript is part of Windows; might be worth doing a reboot.

- - - Updated - - -

The exact wording is "Changes you made may not be saved."
I didn't do anything but stare at the page before closing the tab.

Hope this helps narrow it down.

-cb

Yeah, that's the standard dialog when vBulletin thinks you may mistakenly abandon a partially written post.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Cindyt's observation is interesting; JavaScript is part of Windows; might be worth doing a reboot
I turn off the computer in the evening, do all the updates the next morning when I turn it back on. This has been going on for a few days at least.

-cb

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Here's something interesting.

I have to scroll down the page AND have the Quick Reply box visible to trigger the bug. Just scrolling down the list of posts is not enough. The QR box has to be visible, even partially.

-cb

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The AW WYSIWYG editor in vBulletin/AW's forum software relies on some squirrelly AJAX implementations/features; it often causes problems.

You might try switching to the Standard editor, clear cache and cookies, and try again.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The AW WYSIWYG editor in vBulletin/AW's forum software relies on some squirrelly AJAX implementations/features; it often causes problems.
Is there an OS / Browser combo for which your software was designed to work? It's not like Windows / Chrome or Win10 / Edge are the exceptions on the Internet planet.

-cb

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Is there an OS / Browser combo for which your software was designed to work? It's not like Windows / Chrome or Win10 / Edge are the exceptions on the Internet planet.

-cb

cbenoi1

It works with pretty much any standard browser, and all six of the major screen readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.