• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Pirate] Ocean of PDF

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
This in an unapologetic piracy site, offering free copies of literally thousands of authors' books, big names and small names included. If you are published, you may want to check here: http://oceanofpdf.com and see if your books are listed for free download.

Please also consider notifying anyone you know who is published.

(sigh)

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I just love (insert sarcasm) this justification:

We would like to encourage book readers to support authors whenever where-ever they can. Making money as an independent author isn’t easy, Please follow below two steps after downloading a book from here.

If you like a book, please take the time to leave a nice book review on amazon / online book store or goodreads etc. This will support the author indirectly. Someone might buy the book after reading your review. This is the least you can do and you must do this after reading a free copy.
Secondly word of mouth is important for every book, so if you can recommend book to friends & communities who have more cash to spare or who can buy online, that would be awesome too!
If you get financial means later to buy the book then you must support your favourite authors and buy that book. This will ultimately benefit them and will encourage them to write more and eventually you’ll be able to read more.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I quickly looked through the site you posted. Probably not even a drop in the bucket of global book piracy.

Makes one wonder if traditional publishing makes more sense (instead of ebook authoring). Many people prefer it over traditional paperback and hard cover, but convenience seems detrimental to authors and publishers.

In one of Brandon Sanderson's online videos, he noted that the majority of his sales comes from ebook sales.

I understand Rowling, after making a fortune with HP books, retained ebook rights and later released those. I wonder, if someone becomes the next mega-star with a great series, if they can work it like this anymore (if they wanted to).

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I just love (insert sarcasm) this justification:
The swine! Ask the kind of people who take books for free to, eventually, do the authors a favour.
Well, yippee-skip as a friend used to say. He says 'if you get financial means later' then buy the book. I doubt that people who want stolen freebies would even consider spending money on a second copy. Especially if it's the kind of reader who reads once, and moves on.

If you want free books, go to the library, where at least someone paid for the copy.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The UK's Society of Authors has been tweeting to them, and if I remember correctly has received some astonishing responses. It's not good.

Makes one wonder if traditional publishing makes more sense (instead of ebook authoring).

Trade publishers publish digital editions as well as print editions.

I understand Rowling, after making a fortune with HP books, retained ebook rights and later released those. I wonder, if someone becomes the next mega-star with a great series, if they can work it like this anymore (if they wanted to).

As most book contracts didn't specify digital editions until digital editions became a big thing, many writers retained their digital rights and have subsequently sold them. And any writer can refuse to sell any rights when offered a book contract. It's all negotiable.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Trade publishers publish digital editions as well as print editions.

As most book contracts didn't specify digital editions until digital editions became a big thing, many writers retained their digital rights and have subsequently sold them. And any writer can refuse to sell any rights when offered a book contract. It's all negotiable.

Yes. I meant print editions (hardcover and paperback) before digital. Digital editions expedite piracy. DRM protection offers the same effect as plastic wrap on something. It's a shame ebook protection is not as advanced as protections in gaming.

Having a multi-hundred-page, print book is much harder to pirate. For my thinking, focus on print editions first (which may irritate people who prefer digital over print). After some time, release enhanced, digital editions of the book (like Rowling did in 2015) for those wanting the digital editions. Offer author notes, an extra chapter, improved illustrations, whatever for bonus content.

Now, how to manage enhanced editions of print books (compared to those sold on Amazon or similar sites), so bookstores can stay in business? I would never negotiate this, but interesting.