Jubilant July - 500 words per day - all genres welcome

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I did mostly meet both my main goals for June — 2nd round edits on the secret project (although I have just 10 pages left!) and 20 pages on the BEP. I squeaked in under the wire on that one.

My one and only goal for July is finish copyedits for Fireborn and publish it. I am so excited. :D

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
June didn't happen. Nope. It was a collective hallucination you all shared.

July, now that's a real month. A month when I might get something done.

Here's hoping, anyway.

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to those who reached their goals.

June started out with promise but it was largely unsuccessful. I have editing to do and I started writing something new, but failed to make significant progress. I'm in a rut. I keep working but I'd love to get a boost in energy.

Wishing you all good luck in July. Write well.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You guys are amazing. :)

I've been uncommunicative. Things have been rough here, and I really am considering just tossing this MS. Feels like an admission of defeat...but that's kind of a stupid reason to keep banging my head against something.

However, my family is healthy and we're planning a short vacation so that's OK. :)

Goals for July?

No idea.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations :hi:

My best wishes to you all for a successfully July. Remember taking a step back does not necessarily mean you're going in the wrong direction :)

I think I did alright for June (I think). I made some progress on various writing fronts. Nothing grand, but it helped to keep the drive going. I think I've decided to give myself until the end of the year to get a rough draft of my current project complete. We'll see if that holds true or not, a lot can happen between now and then.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OSG - Definitely a hallucination. ;) Good luck with your goals this month.

Brechin - Sorry to hear that. Good luck to you too. It's a whole new month. :D

Liz - Hugs on the rough stuff. DON'T toss the manuscript. Or at least keep a backup intact. Maybe it's time to set it aside? A vacation sounds amazing.

Zan75 - Awesome on the progress. And end of the year goal for your ms is totally doable. Go, you!

Ten pages down. One hundred and seventeen more to go. I have an amazing editor and I love her to death, but she is BRUTAL with copyedits. Makes me want to hide sometimes. But I persevere! I have a release in less than a month.

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
June for me was finding inspiration to get back into the groove of writing. Found it so June was a success for me. July's goals are to write 700 words a day, and post 10 pieces on Medium. I'm really having a blast with it so far. I've got 3 done, and a list of prompts to work on.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Closing out the first week of July, how's everyone doing?

Saoirse - Hope your revisions are going well, best of luck with your release. Let us know how it goes.

Svader - Congrats on finding inspiration and running with it. Keep it up.

I'm still plugging away. Didn't get as much done over the weekend as I wanted, but alas, I typically never get as much done as I'd like :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Sometimes what you really need is a good word from a crit partner.

I am no longer going to try to make this book something it's not.

I've rewritten my first chapter (well, I've half-reverted to an old version, so not so much a rewrite), and I'm doing another editing pass, more for smoothness than anything else.

Don't know how it'll come out, but progress is progress.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Liz - Sounds like good progress. Glad your crit partner helped you.

Patty - Welcome! And yay for being on track!

Zan75 - I tend to have the same problem. I almost have too much time, and I end up procrastinating.

Svader - Welcome back! Awesome about the inspiration. Good luck with your goals.

25 pages down. I'm chipping away at these copyedits slowly....

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, Saoirse! Excellent progress.

I had to cope with family stuff today, but I managed some edits while I was on the train.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Had an okay day. Teasing out plot problems, wondering if I need all those secondary characters.

Keep pushing on, everyone.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone is plunging ahead, way to go, keep it up. :hooray:

Liz - All the best with your family stuff, hope it goes well.

OSG - Do the characters add anything to the story? I don't know if you need them if they aren't helping to advance the story.

I'm still plugging away on things. Dividing my time between my newer project and doing a final edit run on an older finished one that I took some time away from to clear the mind.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I was thinking much the same, Zan. :)

No words yesterday as I was getting a new tattoo. I mentally filed away plenty of stories from the artist though - fascinating guy.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
What kind of tattoo did you get? (If you don't mind my asking.) I've never gotten one myself, a little too permanent for my tastes. Although I did consider getting my family crest done at one point.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
What kind of tattoo did you get? (If you don't mind my asking.) I've never gotten one myself, a little too permanent for my tastes. Although I did consider getting my family crest done at one point.

I don't mind at all - it's a fractal curve that I really like. The permanency is the point for me - I use tattoos to mark big life events.

Is it possible to forget how to finish a book?

"THE END" works for me :p

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:cheers everyone:

OSG - Sounds awesome! I have 2 tattoos. They don't actually mark a life event, technically, but I did get them around the same time my dad left us. I'm wondering if that had something to do with it.

I've been working like a madwoman on freelance work (2 projects, one a new client) and simultaneously feeling like I'm about to crack. We just found out that our cat has kidney disease. I'm sure she's still got time, esp if we get her on a special diet and fluids when necessary (they said "eventually") but I'm faced with reality that we could lose her at some point, probably sooner rather than later. She was originally my husband's cat and I "adopted" her when he and I started dating 12 years ago. We all love her so much. Why can't she live forever? :(

Anyway...more work awaits...

Last edited:

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
LIZ - Possible? Sure, anything is possible. It's the probability that gets you. It'll come to you.

OSG - A fractal curve sounds pretty interesting. Not a typical answer one gets about tattoos.

Saoirse - Hang in there, you'll be great. Sorry to hear about your cat. Best wishes for more time with her and a peaceful passing when the time does come.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, Saoirse. We have such little time with our furry friends, but they can bring so much joy.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Zan75 and OSG. It's possible that it isn't kidney disease, but it hasn't been completely ruled out yet. Hoping for the best.

So I took a three-hour nap today, which means I just lost three hours to work. I think I'm depressed.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse - In the long run those three hours of rest will probably be to your advantage. Hope you had some good dreams to go along with it.

I'm down to under fifty pages left on the readthrough of my main project. Hoping to have that finished tonight or tomorrow so I can go back and make the needed corrections I found. Then I can get back to my latest endeavor.