Getting Help Creating A Website: Who Should I Go To? Why?

Aloysius

Registered
Reaction score
It's a little premature but I just got an agent for my novel and publication seems likely.

Full disclosure: I am a social media dinosaur. I just joined Facebook and now have LinkedIn but that's only reluctantly because I know that it's important nowadays.

While I'm at it is there anything else I'd better sign up for?

Sorry - back to the original request.

Where can I find help in setting up a site?

Which sites should I ignore and which should I look into?

Why?

Thank you, folks.

p.s. I published a scholarly biography (Routledge) of a famous historical figure that sold over 10,000 copies and I thought I might use that as a lure to get people interested in the novel even at this early stage. And, my main character in the novel is writing a biography of that same historical figure.

hopeful09

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thinningtheweeds.blogspot.com
Hi there! This info may be found on the links already provided, but I took Jane Friedman's online class through Writer's Digest and built my site after taking it. It wasn't easy, but I got it done, and I'm happy with it. I didn't have the money to pay someone to build a personal one for me. You can check it out with this link: https://www.writersdigestshop.com/live-webinar-create-an-author-website-in-24-hours-or-less (I'm not a shill for them; it just worked for me.)

Good luck!

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Just this past month I purchased a domain and hosting from namecheap.com to make a platform for my fiction. Wait, this isn't spam, really! I got a year of hosting for about $28 total with a curated Wordpress environment, which is designed for people like me who have no idea what they're doing. The price doubles after the first year, after they've got their hooks into you, but maybe it might satisfy your needs. I think they're based in eastern Europe, since all the names on my tech support tickets look like it, but they've been very responsive to my amateur questions. I do NOT have an agent, so if you're premature then so am I, and considering how much work I've put into this thing, I don't want to consider that!

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
If you're just looking to start a blog: https://amylynnandrews.com/how-to-start-a-blog/

I believe a website gives you more control over the looks and features, but that may be more than you need. For my site I used goDaddy - not the cheapest but they have good service. I've been writing HTML since version 2.0 and coding javascript since it began, so it's easy for me. GoDaddy has a tool for creating your own site but I've not used it so have no comment.

Aloysius

Registered
Reaction score
Great suggestions folks.

Thank you.

Please keep them coming as I will follow up on all leads.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Maybe try using facebook - create an author page (attached to your personal one if you already have an account).

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe try using facebook - create an author page (attached to your personal one if you already have an account).

Think very carefully about separating you-as-author from you as a private person with a life.

Think about setting up walls now. Use a separate email address for you as writer. Do not give out your private email address.

Do not publicly associate your personal Facebook account where you interact with friends and family.

Really, truly, you want a web page to be the hub of all contact and traffic.

So for instance, you might have a post announcing a book, once you're ready to publish yourself or have a publication date, on your Website. You write a short summary on your Facebook page for you-as-author and you use URL for that page on your Website so traffic will be directed to your Website.

You do not want to rely on Facebook or any third party for contact with readers; you want them all to end up on your Web site.

Read that thread I linked to.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com

You do not want to rely on Facebook or any third party for contact with readers; you want them all to end up on your Web site.

This, in thirteen-foot tall electric neon day-glo letters with surround sound.

Aloysius

Registered
Reaction score
Think very carefully about separating you-as-author from you as a private person with a life.

Think about setting up walls now. Use a separate email address for you as writer. Do not give out your private email address.

Do not publicly associate your personal Facebook account where you interact with friends and family.

So for instance, you might have a post announcing a book, once you're ready to publish yourself or have a publication date, on your Website. You write a short summary on your Facebook page for you-as-author and you use URL for that page on your Website so traffic will be directed to your Website.

Read that thread I linked to.

This makes eminent sense.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

This, in thirteen-foot tall electric neon day-glo letters with surround sound.

Ha! You must be a terrific writer.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
A better place to ask this is in the following forum: Blogs, Podcasts and Social Media.

https://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?90-Blogs-Podcasts-and-Social-Media

But before that follow AW Admin's link to how to promote your book. It's short, clear, practical, and the best advice I ever came across - and I did an enormous amount of research on the subject as soon as I got serious about writing.

The basic fact is that promoting your books is a lot of hard work and takes a long time to be effective. Facebook, Twitter, and so on are not terribly effective. Having your own web site is not terribly effective, but it's the one place where you have complete control of the face, the "brand," you present to the world.

You can hire a service to do the job for you, but the cold fact is that none of them are terribly good at selling your book. And there are lots of scammers who superficially look good but are best at selling themselves.

The profession of author is a tough business that we have to work at for years before making headway. Even the "overnight" stories of first-book successes such as those of Harry Potter and Twilight and others took a much longer time to take off than articles about them make out.