JulyNoWriMo 2018: Come In and State Your Goals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"I never expected any sort of success with 'Mockingbird'...
I sort of hoped someone would like it enough to give me encouragement."

- Harper Lee

Welcome to the July goals thread! Some of us are participating in the July Camp NaNo, but this thread is open to anyone who wants to state their goals, track their progress and encourage others in meeting theirs.

I'm doing Camp myself, and have set a 15k goal. I feel like I always fall short in my writing goals, but now that my current show is open and my schedule has settled into something approaching regularity, I've resolved to do better this month. I'm also anticipating the release of Book #4 in my fantasy series, so I'll have guest blogs and other promotional writing to do. The publisher is so far behind that I'm worried we won't make the anticipated late July release (I still don't have a firm release date, a cover or proofreader edits yet), so that's stressing me out a bit. Nah, more than a bit. A lot.

I'm going to stay focused on writing and the book release this month, although I expect some of my goals will change as I get closer to the end of the month and start losing my mind.

[ ] Write 15k fresh new words for July Camp NaNo
[ ] Write ten guest blogs/interviews/other promo for release of Book 4
[ ] Approve final cover design for Book 4
[ ] Go over proofreader edits for Book 4
[ ] Prepare giveaway promo for Book 4

So what are you planning to accomplish for July? Are you Camping? Are you planning an exciting vacation? Tell us about it here!

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not participating in Camp this month. I don't generally have a lot of motivation in winter, and I hate setting myself up to fail. BUT I do have goals I'd like to reach this month. I didn't accomplish everything I wanted to do last month, but I mostly did all right - fell down on the writing once I got my SS:AMNG story done. Bad Jay. I plan to do MUCH better with the writing this month. The Crystal Throne characters are poking me, and I need to complete the fanfic story in time for my bestie's birthday at the beginning of August. I really need to get that blanket done too, and get back to the sweater that is meant to be ready for Christmas.

[ ] Work on The Crystal Throne
[ ] Finish crocheted blanket (0/15 rounds)
[ ] Make peanut butter cups and brandy truffles test runs
[ ] Write fanfic story
[ ] Attempt new recipe for homemade caramels
[ ] work on knitted sweater (Christmas gift)
[ ] driving lessons (0/6)

I'm sure there's something else that needs to be on that list, but I can't remember/think of it. I'll update if/when I do.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now I want candy.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm excited about camp although don't know if I need to check in every day or what.

My goals:

[ ] begin book 2 in a serious way. This one will get into the many ways climate change impacts earth systems - everything from melting ice caps and the feedback that creates to the acidification of the ocean dissolving shelled sea life. Weather events, fire risk, desertification, altered migration patterns. Mass extinctions. Fun! :) I'd like 50K words of first draft but will be happy with 15,000.

[ ] Begin collecting rejections on book 1. I've got five queries out and AR ... between the six I expect some rejections any day and some non-responses. If I get two rejections (and four non-responses) I'll tick this off as done.

[ ] Get a better sense of self-publishing. Begin identifying cover artists.

[ ] improve the website. I set it up last month but only as a beginning template.

[ ] Learn what the heck watt pad is. That should only take a few minutes.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, July.

Time for me to get back into actual writing, which means I'm back to my boring, same-as-ever goals. That's okay. I'll probably ease back in with game stuff: I've been doing lots for the game, but it's all been map-related and no actual planning for the next session. Would like to write something new story wise, and I need to reassess Haven, my current long form , because it was not working. I'll either plan out and work out how to get over the hump or go nope, this isn't going anywhere, time to put aside for now. Hopefully lots of editing this month. Hopefully I'll do better at reading than in my reading month :p

1. Read five books.
2. Continue game planning.
3. Continue transcription.
4. Draft one short or flash and edit one short or flash.
5. Plan Haven (and consider viability).
6. Edit Marietta
7. Min 500 words OR 2 pages edited per day with one 4hr min day per week.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I am technically participating in Camp, but I have copyedits coming back for my August release, so it's kind of up in the air.

Here are my goals:

[] Copyedits for Fireborn
[] Cover reveal
[] Publish Fireborn
[] Finish 2nd round edits on secret project
[] Try not to stress about anything

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
Not officially taking part in camp because I can't track my goal the way I want but here's my aims for July:

[] finish outlining /rough drafting the second half of my YA Scifi (so ten chapters)
[] post a query in QLH for my fantasy WIP

Aphotic Ink

Registered
Reaction score
My goals are

[ ] revise one story (I have a lot of works around that are definitely first drafts)
[ ] revise a second story (I've got a novella that I'm going to try to flesh out a bit and see if I can make it to 20K - it's not padding so much as the fact that as written, it doesn't look like it's specfic until 3/4ths of the way through the story and adding a second POV will help me make that much clearer)
[ ] write a 5K short story with branching text

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Not camping this time since I'm editing and it's slow going. If I camp, I'll feel pressured, and that's not good for my brain.

Picking up where I left June:

[ ] Complete edit of Act 1 novel
[ ] Two Blog Posts
[ ] Read 2 books
[ ] Finish knitting sock

Similar to Jaymz; my motivation takes a nosedive in winter. I am simply trying to keep myself on track at the moment.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I'm camping, but hiding out from cabins.

As per usual, carrying things over :p

[ ] Read A Mother’s Reckoning by Sue Klebold
[ ] Read Fire & Ice by Patty Jansen
[ ] Finish short story for next Alphabet Anthology
[ ] Pull together draft of a different short story and finish
[ ] Go through my kick-knacks for stuff I can give away
[ ] Give away the give-away pile
[ ] Camp 1 - 8
[ ] Camp 9 - 15
[ ] Camp 16 - 22
[ ] Camp 23 - 31
[ ] Edit every day: Week 27
[ ] Edit every day: Week 28
[ ] Edit every day: Week 29
[ ] Edit every day: Week 30
[ ] Edit every day: Week 31 (July portion)

Editing is part of my camp goal, so I'm doubling up there, but I'll lose my place if I don't keep the edit weeks on here :tongue

Aphotic Ink

Registered
Reaction score
Cheers on the knitting!

Best luck on the edits to you and bdwilson. :)

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
I am in Camp NaNo with revising a novel I have written when young. It will take a lot of revision, therefore! The goal is 200 pages to review - because this is how long it is now ;)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
First week update! So, my month's break seems to have worked. When I did my 4hrs on Wednesday, it was really nice. I felt refreshed and creative and did a few different things. So that's good.

I haven't finished any books yet. Raven Stratagem is too absorbing so I have to be careful where I read it (*cough* on the train past my stop *cough*), and I am slowly making my way through Xanather's (D&D supplement book). Traps are fun.

I edited one story. At first I thought I wouldn't count it because it only needed tweaking; then I realised I'd spent an hour absorbed in those tweaks. So it counts, but I might try and get at least another flash piece edited as well. Done a chapter of Marietta and some transcription. Otherwise I've been doing game stuff. I started to work on a short I was mid-way through when writing at work, then realised it's only a week until my next game. So focus is on prepping for that at the moment.

Still need to do so much stuff though. Onward!

1. Read five books. 0/5
2. Continue game planning. Little bit, need more.
3. Continue transcription. Started.
4. Draft one short or flash and edit one short or flash. 0/1, 1/1
5. Plan Haven (and consider viability). Not yet.
6. Edit Marietta. 1 chapter done.
7. Min 500 words OR 2 pages edited per day with one 4hr min day per week. So far, so good.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Update:

[] Copyedits for Fireborn - 55 pages/126 pages
[] Cover reveal Sometime next week
[] Publish Fireborn August 1st
[] Finish 2nd round edits on secret project
[] Try not to stress about anything Trying. But it's tough.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it was a hard start to the beginning of the week. My publisher informed me that the cover for Book 4 would be delayed until mid-month, which meant that the cover reveal and the actual book release would be happening nearly on top of each other. I confess I kind of lost my shit, since I have been pushing for the cover design for months, with an eye toward an end-July release to coincide with a major reading/book signing event I have then. In addition, the cover hold-up meant that the whole pre-release promotional push (which was already late) was an utter wash. I told them I'd rather do a later release than a rushed, half-assed one, so now Book 4 won't be out until the end of August, although they're going to try (emphasize "try") to get a limited number of Book 4 on an expedited print and ship schedule so I'll have them for the end-July event. Fingers are crossed. I'm still leaving my Book 4 goals in place but if I don't make them I'm not going to sweat it.

Naturally, given all the angst associated with this, I didn't get as much writing accomplished as I'd hoped this first week of Camp, but I did get some bits down and actually had a lot of good ideas during the commutes back and forth to my show. Looking forward to some days off on Monday/Tuesday so I can work on developing them.

[ ] Write 15k fresh new words for July Camp NaNo - 1,464 out of 15,000
[ ] Write ten guest blogs/interviews/other promo for release of Book 4

Last edited:

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
I had a pretty much full anxiety break down this week and have decided to push back everything to do with querying (editing, query letter, beta readers) with a view to not querying until at least January. A few months ago I was absolutely in love with this writing lark but since then has been anxiety hell so I'm trying to get back to the enjoyment (so actually writing).

[] finish outlining /rough drafting the second half of my YA Scifi (so ten chapters) - I've done 4 of these so 6 left
[] post a query in QLH for my fantasy WIP - I did write a whole new query before I decided to put this on hold (I now have 3 completely different ones for the same book) but this won't be happening this month unless I have a complete turn around on mental health

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles, JJ Crafts. Hoping you feel better soon.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing that keeps me from totally hibernating in winter is that there's quite a bit of sun. But it's been so cold I'm kind of trapped indoors. My lungs don't like cold air at all.

[ ] Work on The Crystal Throne (first scene almost done)
[X] Finish crocheted blanket (13/15 rounds) calling it done because it'll be finished before bed tonight
[ ] Make peanut butter cups and brandy truffles test runs - PB cups turned out great
[ ] Write fanfic story - started
[X] Attempt new recipe for homemade caramels - won't know if they turned out until tomorrow. ETA - a great big fail. :( They're hard. I suppose I can smash them up and use them in cookies sometime. I officially give up trying to make caramels.
[ ] work on knitted sweater (Christmas gift)

I haven't accomplished as much as I'd wanted to. I managed to either bruise my ribs or pull a muscle in that area - it's painful to exert myself at all, and uncomfortable to sleep. :( Sometimes I'm just a walking disaster area.

JJ Crafts - hope you can get your anxieties under control. Sometimes it's good to push yourself, but not too hard.

mrsmig - that sucks about the delay for your book cover. :( Don't you just love people who expect you to meet deadlines, but then don't meet their own deadlines?

Big :e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer: for everyone else!

Arik- how's the sock going?

Last edited:

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
My update for the week

[ ] Complete edit of Act 1 novel - Made good progress
[X] Two Blog Posts
[ ] Read 2 books - half way through first
[ ] Finish knitting sock

Jaymz - My sock was delayed because I was using bamboo needles and snapped one :( So I had to get a replacement. I am about half way through the cuff, so still a lot of tiny stitches to go. Well done on your blanket.

JJ - definitely a good idea to push things back if it's causing you significant stress.

Last edited:

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I need to push myself to get things done but I always end up pushing too hard. Feeling a bit better now I have a little distance.

Mrsmig I hope you get those books in time for the event!

Jaymz im hoping the ribs feel better, have you got pain meds for it?

And arik I once managed to lean on my favourite wooden needle and it snapped in half. I guess that's the problem with wooden ones but I like them so much more than metal ones. Hope you get a hold of a new one quickly.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Once again, made progress on things not on this list :tongue Anyway, deadline for the next alphabet story is coming up, so I'm going to prioritize that this week and should actually finish it. That's been on the list so long, it's kind of embarrassing I haven't done it yet

[ ] Read A Mother’s Reckoning by Sue Klebold
[-] Read Fire & Ice by Patty Jansen
[ ] Finish short story for next Alphabet Anthology
[ ] Pull together draft of a different short story and finish
[ ] Go through my kick-knacks for stuff I can give away
[ ] Give away the give-away pile
[X] Camp 1 - 8
[ ] Camp 9 - 15
[ ] Camp 16 - 22
[ ] Camp 23 - 31
[X] Edit every day: Week 27
[ ] Edit every day: Week 28
[ ] Edit every day: Week 29
[ ] Edit every day: Week 30
[ ] Edit every day: Week 31 (July portion)

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not officially participating, but I realized that I started drafting a new WIP on July 1st, so it seemed appropriate!

1. Write 50k words on MS2 draft
2. When MS1 returns from critique partner, make appropriate changes (realistically, cut about 10 or 15k from manuscript)
3. Return to QLH to add finishing touches to query letter for MS1
4. Start compiling a list of agents and publishers to send first batch of queries

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Arik - breaking a needle always sucks. :( I did that when I was making a shawl for a friend.

JJ - yay for feeling a bit better!

No pain meds, other than paracetamol. Mr C has declared that I will need an x-ray if it's not appreciably better by the end of the week. I think he's nuts, though. Soft tissue damage wouldn't show up on an x-ray, and it doesn't hurt as much as I've heard broken or cracked ribs hurt (meaning it's not hurting me to breathe).

ETA Went to the doctor after all cause I twinged it more. Nothing's broken, so all I can do is painkillers and heat on the affected area. Guess I'll be sitting on my chair doing not much of anything for a few days at least. I did get a script for something stronger than paracetamol though.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Almost nothing of worth accomplished this week. More distressing news from my publisher - they are going digital-only for new contracts, which makes me wonder about my future with them in regards the fifth and final book of my series. Since that book is nowhere near finished the issue is somewhat moot at the moment, but it's still worrying. Still waiting on the cover design, proofreader pass, et al, plus the shipment of books I ordered for my signing at the end of the month.

Things were batshit in my showbiz life as well; several cast members had to call out due to illness/injury/family losses, which entailed some extra rehearsal as well as onstage angst. In addition, I'm juggling a sudden spate of auditions and the material to learn for those, while also trying to learn music from Bernstein's Candide for an upcoming concert. I finally had to let one of the auditions go; they wanted to see me in NYC next week and trying to wedge that trip in during a show week was turning into a major stumbling block.

Praying next week will be easier but so far it's not looking likely.

[ ] Write 15k fresh new words for July Camp NaNo - 1,464 out of 15,000
[ ] Write ten guest blogs/interviews/other promo for release of Book 4 - 1 of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.