• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Flowery writing and rapid typing? I've been thinking...

Richard W. Fairbairn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing today. Doing pretty good right now by my own humble standards and averaging about 900 words a day. I'm pleased to be so productive.

I've had a hard morning watching our new puppy and have just recommended work on my latest project. Whilst working on a paragraph I found myself typing extra words, something my writing suffers from enormously. I think it's referred to as flowery writing.

I'm a good typist. In Geography class, there was a row of typewriters at the back of the class. The lesson was dominated by morons spitting at each other and causing chaos, so I'd retreat to the back and play with the typewriters. That's how it started, and now I type about as fast as I talk. I'm a little proud of it.

And that leads me to the flowery writing. I'm wondering if the extra words I type comes from some inbuilt desire to show off my typing speed, even if nobody is around to see. So the extra flowery words are a product of my typing skills and whatever psychological problems I have that make me want to demonstrate these to any audience, even an imaginary one.

No, not smoking marijuana today. Just thinking.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Richard

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The reason for your overwriting, including unnecessary words, might be that, or might be something else. I suspect the why doesn't matter nearly as much as the awareness that you're doing it. Armed with that knowledge, you identify and remove such words on the first round of editing rather than killing the flow as you write your first draft. If that's working for you, that's great!

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
It's not unusual to overwrite in the initial draft(s). I don't know that I would use the term "flowery" to describe that, though. Unless your particular brand of overwriting takes that form?

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
I like overwritten and sloppy flowery stuff, especially by post-Lovecraftians, where this approach can work quite well. Also in some sprawling sci-fi sagas.

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
Overwriting isn't necessarily "flowery," which usually implies excessive description or descriptive words, prose that's intended to be beautiful. Overwritten prose can also be repetitive information, too much stage direction, too many glue words, etc. I'm not sure if excess words is related to typing speed, but it's fairly common in a draft to put down more than you need, to get the whole idea or image out, which then gets pared down and clarified during edits. Some writers do the opposite and write very lean drafts that then need additions during editing.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's not unusual to overwrite in the initial draft(s). I don't know that I would use the term "flowery" to describe that, though. Unless your particular brand of overwriting takes that form?

This. Don't overworry about overwriting in a rough draft. It is why God invented editing. I similarly do this, and I do a lot of rough drafting with pen and paper (even though I am also a good typist). IMO it's better to overwrite in a rough draft than it is to underwrite because you are obsessing about avoiding extraneous words or phrases. The latter can constipate your writing, methinks.

caw

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about how good your writing is when you're writing it. You are allowed to revise. What's important in the producing stage of writing is getting words on the page.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
+1 to Sparverius' comment. Other htan that, you're clearly smacking those drafts into order either way so it's all good in the end.

Blacbird - but you would say that if you're an overwriter ;-) I think it's better to underwrite in a draft, probably because I'm an underwriter. Our biases incline us that way I suspect.

I definitely don't go out of my way to cut extraneous material, though. It's not a conscious effort. I simply default to barebones in rough drafts, without intending to. My mss always seem to need help to put on weight afterwards. (Not that you'd know it from my overly wordy posts, I guess.)

Richard W. Fairbairn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I felt that I did 1600 words the day before today and it was something I really enjoyed.

Edit:

Cheers! I wrote loads yesterday! Yay!

NoirSuede

Running gags aren't for me
Registered
Reaction score
Off-topic but please tell me your secret to fast writing, I'm a chronically slow writer (150 words/hour) and thus I keep fearing that i'm underwriting my prose.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
What are those 150 words like, Noir? Are they carefully revised by the end of the hour, and near-on perfect, or do they still need work? Because it might be you're combining several stages of writing--planning, producing and refining the work all at once--in which you could be doing really well.

If you're only producing that number, and you've not planned or revised the work, then you might well be able to be more productive. Consider how involved in the writing you are as you're doing it: if time flies, you don't think of anything else, and it's all wonderful then you're doing well but if you're frequently distracted, worried that your work isn't good enough, and constantly crossing stuff out and looking for better words then you're allowing your internal editor to close down your creative mind. You can work on that, and improve things, if you want.

NoirSuede

Running gags aren't for me
Registered
Reaction score
What are those 150 words like, Noir? Are they carefully revised by the end of the hour, and near-on perfect, or do they still need work? Because it might be you're combining several stages of writing--planning, producing and refining the work all at once--in which you could be doing really well.

If you're only producing that number, and you've not planned or revised the work, then you might well be able to be more productive. Consider how involved in the writing you are as you're doing it: if time flies, you don't think of anything else, and it's all wonderful then you're doing well but if you're frequently distracted, worried that your work isn't good enough, and constantly crossing stuff out and looking for better words then you're allowing your internal editor to close down your creative mind. You can work on that, and improve things, if you want.
It's more like i'd write 100 words, realize that they have too many -ings, brainstorm how to replace some of them, and then realize that i'm still way below my word target of 1000/chapter (since apparently publishers won't accept something below 60k as a novel?)

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
As a relative newbie to authoring I often stumble over the vernacular used here, so please excuse my ignorance. Are you talking about excessively descriptive prose? If so, then I'm somewhat guilty of the same thing - but perhaps worse, it's deliberate on my part.

We all have our unique voice as writers, which is necessary unless we all want all our stories to sound alike. Maybe descriptive prose is Richard's voice? Of course following Aristotle's guidance, all things in moderation, is always a good idea. For my part, I like to start each chapter (and sometimes scenes when the location changes) with a somewhat visceral description of where the MC finds himself; it's a visual and a way to set the mood for what follows. Maybe - probably even, I'm using bad form in my writing but it's my voice and my readers will either like it or they won't.

An example of my 'flowery' writing follows:
Freshly bandaged and wearing clean clothes, Liam stood out on the balcony with Lisa and Rose. Night had fallen. Sirens wailed throughout the city, while out on the streets people rushed madly about either seeking shelter or running to defend the city wall. The clatter and hammering of railguns had started up again, and the air seemed to vibrate with the concussive sound. Rockets sailed like comets over the city’s defenses, exploding on impact and setting countless fires among the old tenement neighborhoods; heated ashen embers fluttered down from the sky like snow.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's more like i'd write 100 words, realize that they have too many -ings, brainstorm how to replace some of them, and then realize that i'm still way below my word target of 1000/chapter (since apparently publishers won't accept something below 60k as a novel?)

It sounds to me like you're allowing your editorial side to interrupt your creative side, and stop you writing.

Try not to worry about having too many of anything, or about your word-count. Just let your words flow. Every time you find yourself thinking, "That's the wrong word," or, "I need to write more," or anything else, write or type a great big X and then just carry on. Focus on getting words down. Give yourself permission to write the wrong words if the wrong words are what present themselves, and to include as many -ings as you want. Just focus on keeping your pen moving, or your fingers typing. Get those words down. You can revise them later.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Overwriting isn't necessarily "flowery," which usually implies excessive description or descriptive words, prose that's intended to be beautiful. Overwritten prose can also be repetitive information, too much stage direction, too many glue words, etc. I'm not sure if excess words is related to typing speed, but it's fairly common in a draft to put down more than you need, to get the whole idea or image out, which then gets pared down and clarified during edits. Some writers do the opposite and write very lean drafts that then need additions during editing.

Or both - Writing the image in mind (too many words, perhaps all visual) and realizing later you did not add any of the other senses or emotions and need to pare the first and augment the second. In my limited experience the drafts are like an accordion.

@Sparverious: What are glue words?

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
An example of my 'flowery' writing follows:
Freshly bandaged and wearing clean clothes, Liam stood out on the balcony with Lisa and Rose. Night had fallen. Sirens wailed throughout the city, while out on the streets people rushed madly about either seeking shelter or running to defend the city wall. The clatter and hammering of railguns had started up again, and the air seemed to vibrate with the concussive sound. Rockets sailed like comets over the city’s defenses, exploding on impact and setting countless fires among the old tenement neighborhoods; heated ashen embers fluttered down from the sky like snow.

I see nothing wrong with that. It goes a long way toward putting the reader in the scene.

And just speaking for myself, I wouldn't call that "flowery" either.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with that. It goes a long way toward putting the reader in the scene.

And just speaking for myself, I wouldn't call that "flowery" either.

+1

For me having a rich or evocative prose (and there is nothing wrong with those) is different from a flowery prose.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I type at over 90 words per minute and while I think this definitely contributes to overly wordy forum posts, I don't think it does that in my creative writing. I find it extremely useful that I can type close to thinking speed, as it means I can type as I think of stuff, rather than constantly having to slow my thinking/imagination down while I'm writing. Or at least, not as much as I would if I had to handwrite it. Generally my creative writing is limited by my thinking speed. I don't just type a load of random stuff down while I'm thinking what's going to happen next (I'm a pantser) or what's the best way to phrase something. I also spend a lot of time re-reading and editing the scenes I've recently written to make sure they read right. This is the limiting factor to how fast I can make forward progress with creative writing.

IMO the cure for writing too much on a first draft (plenty of writers do this, however fast they type) is to go back and re-read it and get rid of all the unnecessary words/sentences/paragraphs. I edit as I go so I never have a whole entire draft to do stuff like this to all in one go. I'll write a scene then go back and reread it to check it reads okay, and change or remove the bits that don't read okay.

Fast typing helped to get me my day job though. I did at typing test at the agency and I decided to go slow and aim for accuracy. I got 100% accuracy at 70 words per minute.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I type at over 90 words per minute and while I think this definitely contributes to overly wordy forum posts, I don't think it does that in my creative writing.

This. I’m a relatively fast typist but a terribly slow writer. I remember being in awe of some folks’ word counts in the daily goals thread a few months back. One woman said “Oh, well, I type really fast” and she may as well have said “Oh, well, I really enjoy eggplant” for all the relevance it had to our relative totals. :ROFL:

To type speedily, you have to have words to type. When I write fiction, words don’t come speedily. (I often write longhand, in fact, partly for this reason. It’s a better match for my pace than typing.)

To the OP, lots of folks have suggested that there’s nothing wrong with writing quick verbose first drafts. But if it continues to bother you, maybe try writing longhand and see if it slows you down enough to think more before you write. But don’t fret too much about it - thinking before you write doesn’t work great for everyone, and it’s possible to think yourself right into paralysis. (Ask me how I know.) I’m all for trying different processes and seeing which ones work better or worse for you - but don’t fall into the trap of judging some other process “better” even though it works less well for you.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
To type speedily, you have to have words to type. When I write fiction, words don’t come speedily.

Same here. I type fast, but compose slowly.

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
I think one of the marks of mastery in this field is that the pro can shrink and expand the text depending on the needs of the book. 1K can become 10K and 10K can become 1 K, with every variation working equally well, or almsot equally well.
While the initial draft--for those of us who do initial drafts--should, IMO, be a work of joy. And if the joy is in being verbose--then by all means.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
To type speedily, you have to have words to type. When I write fiction, words don’t come speedily.

It often takes me a bit of time to find my MC. Once I'm there, seeing, hearing, and feeling the things he does the words come easily. Unfortunately these periods of lucid vision are often fleeting, it's like I spin out on the corner of the racetrack and need to find my way back. So I type in spurts, then sit back and stare at the ceiling for a while.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
It often takes me a bit of time to find my MC. Once I'm there, seeing, hearing, and feeling the things he does the words come easily. Unfortunately these periods of lucid vision are often fleeting, it's like I spin out on the corner of the racetrack and need to find my way back. So I type in spurts, then sit back and stare at the ceiling for a while.

That sounds familiar...

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

That sounds familiar...

To me, too; though I wish it would happen more often. Short stories sometimes come to me this way, and there are parts of my novel that have, but for the most part there is a lot more ceiling-staring (and tooth-pulling) than spurts of activity.