• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I'm Interested in a Variety of Writing Genres... Is this "Normal"?

TheFabulist

Registered
Reaction score
Well, because I'm still to finish anything, I currently have the beginnings of: an alternate history, two erotic novels (one of which may be 'de-eroticised', a fantasy, a science fiction space-opera, a family saga set in late 19th C Montana and San Francisco and a contemporary thriller. I've also got notes for half a dozen more, ranging from a couple of sentences to half a dozen pages. I hope genre hopping is normal otherwise I'm in big trouble...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like to write in a bunch of different genres, too. My biggest worry used to be that I would not create a "brand" like Stephen King, James Patterson, Lee Child, etc. With some authors, you know what you're going to get when you buy their book. Someone brought up JK Rowling. I think she well established her brand before venturing out into other genres.

My work is all over the place. I'm afraid the audience might not know what they're getting. I've been thinking about writing under two different pseudonyms. One for my literary fiction, the other for my crime drama.