• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I'm Interested in a Variety of Writing Genres... Is this "Normal"?

Rosanna Banana

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm a writing newb, really, but one thing I'm finding is that I'm interested in writing a variety of different genres. So far, I've written several stories that could be turned into children's picture books, I've written a contemporary young adult novel and I'm currently outlining an idea for an adult mystery/thriller. I've also tried my hand at romance, non-fiction writing (related to education; I'm a teacher) and erotica. Is this common or is it weird that I bounce around a lot? I'm just wondering if most successful writers are really focused on one particular kind of writing or if it's typical to try out different genres and see what you're good at?

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! That is completely normal! J.K. Rowling, to give you an example, is one of the most successful authors alive today and she's published children's fiction, adult fiction, and screenplays. I myself write both speculative short stories and children's plays. Try your hand at a little of everything and see what you like.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I bet it’s not that unusual. I mean, I’m new to fiction as well, but I have had some success as a film critic, and am a pretty good technical writer by profession.

And, especially when you’re new, why wouldn’t you try your hand at different types of writing? You might find you’re good at different things, or enjoy different things; you wouldn’t know until you try.

Or, you might find that what you are drawn to write changes over time; Marijane Meaker built a decades-long career writing lesbian pulp, suspense, nonfiction, young adult, memoir, and probably something else I’m overlooking - each type published under a different pseudonym. Her story might be on the extreme end but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that there are lots of writers out there publishing in more than one genre.

Last edited:

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
I too have dabbled into numerous genres, but when I take a look at everything I've written, there is always a little hint of romance and suspense woven into the plot lines. Even if I try to not include it, the story just takes over. You have to find what works best for you. If multiple genres works, awesome. If not, no worries!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely normal. (Isn't it nice to be normal?) I used to write only suspense, then added erotica, dabbled in horror, and now I'm working on a YA.

When and if you have success in one of the genres in which you're interested, you may find it worthwhile to put all your focus there, but until that time, you just write whatever you're moved to write. It's all good.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I combine genres. I find that the story always come first-- all genre conventions aside. I don't want to be boxed in by limitations.

However, I am an unpublished and amateur writer-- nothing more.

Great food for thought! Excellent topic.

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
Dan Simmons is a god at horror, at space opera, and also dabbles in hardboiled crime stuff.
Most sci-fi writers I like also dabble in fantasy, or horror, or literary fiction.
I'm going to say 'dabble' one more time.
Dabble.

MatthewSteele

Registered
Reaction score
There are actually authors who make their living off of writing to whatever genre is most popular at the time. Some people just like to write or have a large scope of interests. I think this is actually an advantage.

Clovitide

Registered
Reaction score
It's normal. Don't worry. I've jumped around from contemporary, general fiction, to paranormal, Sci-Fi, high fantasy, urban fantasy, romance, suspense, action, non-fiction and while doing all that, you find what seems to be the most prevalent in your writing.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's perfectly normal. But if you want a career as a writer who has an agent, and is published by trade publishers, expect to have to establish yourself in one genre first.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Agents and editors might expect you to establish a brand, by sticking to one genre. However, they might be cool with you publishing other genres under a pseudonym.

That said, write whatever genres strike your fancy at the moment :greenie

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to stick with YA, but am currently going from contemporary to historical, and I have literary yearnings. I pretty much suppress any ideas that are going to steer me away from my current goal as focus and perseverance in writing seems sensible, unless you're one of those people that can write and edit a book in a couple of months.

Jjanejayne

Registered
Reaction score
What's normal?

So I'm a writing newb, really, but one thing I'm finding is that I'm interested in writing a variety of different genres. So far, I've written several stories that could be turned into children's picture books, I've written a contemporary young adult novel and I'm currently outlining an idea for an adult mystery/thriller. I've also tried my hand at romance, non-fiction writing (related to education; I'm a teacher) and erotica. Is this common or is it weird that I bounce around a lot? I'm just wondering if most successful writers are really focused on one particular kind of writing or if it's typical to try out different genres and see what you're good at?

I don't know that there's any normal, or abnormal in how you write. You write, what you write. It would be abnormal for me. I'd like to do different genres. I try to do different genres. I start on something and if it doesn't start out with a mystery, there will be one by page 20. I write mysteries. It's what I do. Most have a romance as well, although that's not totally necessary. But I write mysteries.

AmericanaPrime

Registered
Reaction score
Seems normal to me, I'm vacilating between three different genres right now. Everyone is different, if all of these interest you, go for it!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
There is no normal, of course! (Your title implies that you're aware of that.)

Most writers like to write, and that means their interests might wander from genre to genre. Ideas don't come delineated by genre, so a creative mind will naturally come up with premises that cross genres or fall into different genres. Some writers will settle into one genre, but that doesn't mean they don't have ideas to expand into other genres.

[Full disclosure, I write straight historical, though I did recently write a novel with a sci-fi/fantasy twist that's only about 2/3 historical. So even someone like me, set in her ways, can wander out of her genre!]

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score

I would recommend a pseudonym change if you're going between children's picture books and erotica. That could get...awkward. :scared::gone::roll:

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Your the boss, you can do as you please. It is also useful to be able to switch genres, It can help in keeping the enthusiasm up.
It has been pointed out, it can be useful to use different names. It can help with reader loyalty but is interesting to be able to adopt the slightly different personality, for each genre. But that might be just me?

Tristann

Purportedly hobbitish.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say it was normal! A little like shoes, you don't just have one pair. Different occasions call for different styles. I feel like in the end I tend to gravitate back towards speculative fiction though, my comfy old trainers with the frayed laces.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
This is funny - because the other day an idea popped into my head for a paranormal romance (not vampires or anything like that... not ghosts either) - anyway I've never even read any of that stuff... the most I've done is suffer trough some 'romantic comedy' movies back when I was dating (decades and decades ago). And yet, there it was. As it is though, due to my lack of experience I'll let the idea float away, maybe it will pop into someone else's head.

Regarding other genres, I read all sorts of books so why wouldn't I consider writing in them?

Tatami_Matt

Registered
Reaction score

It's not only normal, it's actually a huge benefit. Especially when they're just starting out, many new authors will pigeonhole themselves into a single genre such as sci-fi or fantasy, read a LOT on those two topics, and then try to write based on what they've seen and learned. The problem there is that the end up writing the same sorts of stories that they've read--i.e. stories that are already written. However, writers like YOU who are interested in a variety of different genres and topics can take all of the new and interesting styles and information and APPLY them to whatever you end up writing! So if you end up writing that adult mystery/thriller, you can add in elements of romance, education, and erotica to really spice it up. You have more building blocks to pull from; more pieces to puzzle out, and that lends a lot of life and creativity to your writing.

Never stop bouncing around!!

sdewar83

Registered
Reaction score
It's normal, and plenty of authors write in multiple genres without using pseudonyms... including JK Rowling, Nick Mamatas, Stephen King, Robert McCammon, etc. If you write a book or a story that can sell, someone will buy it (or an agent will represent you for it).

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really glad you asked this question, because I assumed I was abnormal for doing the same thing! It's so great to hear that a lot of people write in multiple (non-related) genres. :D

Last edited:

rosegold

Registered
Reaction score
I do this. I just finished an Upper MG, and when I'm not agonizing over that, I'm working on a thriller. For me, it's sort of a relief, being able to throw myself into a completely different world. It keeps me interested in my writing.