Finding a Picture Book Agent

Roshy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a little picture book that I would like to publish. Since I am new to this, I don't know where to look for reliable agents. Should I just google it and send an email to the first name I find, or is there a less risky way to do this? I appreciate any suggestions.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a little picture book that I would like to publish. Since I am new to this, I don't know where to look for reliable agents. Should I just google it and send an email to the first name I find, or is there a less risky way to do this? I appreciate any suggestions.

Do you have a query?

You research -- I believe there are stickies to that effect. Querytracker, Publisher's Marketplace, Writer's Digest, our Bewares section...

Roshy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I don't have a query.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Is this the only book you've written? In general, agents who represent PB authors want to know you have more than one manuscript completed and ready to submit (and intend to write more). They don't earn much of a commission from PB sales (unless they rep author-illustrators) because the advance on a PB is split between the author and illustrator.

Roshy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Marissa! Thank you for the heads up. This is the only one I have written, but after reading your comment I am thinking of writing a second one to increase my chances.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - congratulations on completing a picture book. And QueryTracker is an amazingly useful source for figuring out who is looking for what.

However, you really should have your query polished and pristine before you start sending out your manuscript. It will save you a lot of time and effort, and let agents and publishers know you are serious about what you're doing. writing a query will help you in other ways, too. It should help you learn how to describe or pitch your work more precisely and succinctly. (Gad, I hope I spelled that correctly!)

I wish you the best (and understand this is strictly my opinion)

Sissy!

KarolinaWrtr

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Your success in life is largely dependent on how many uncomfortable conversations you're willing to have :)
And I follow this rule in my life)
My congratulations!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Picture book queries are not like other age categories. I believe you send the entire text in a PB query, but please do check this information in advance.

As with everything, this depends on the agent. Most want the text pasted below the query, which makes the query letter a cover letter. But some do just want the letter. Do your research and follow guidelines on the agency websites.