The Pink Elephant on the Wall

M. R. Kessell

Registered
Reaction score
I’m a bit of a stickler when it comes to common phrases being repeated incorrectly.

A certain part of my brain lights up when I hear someone say something like: “You’ve got to nip it in the butt!”
I rarely ever correct anyone though. I don’t need to get knocked out while riding the subway. I just chuckle to myself and make mental note of it.
Ironically, I’ll then turn around and start using the wrongly worded phrase myself.

I wonder, does anyone else do this? Do you have any favorite incorrect sayings you’d like to share?

M. R. Kessell

Registered
Reaction score
That’s good, KJ, I agree with that approach. One should maintain strong eye contact with a gifted horse at all times.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I’m a bit of a stickler when it comes to common phrases being repeated incorrectly.

A certain part of my brain lights up when I hear someone say something like: “You’ve got to nip it in the butt!”
I rarely ever correct anyone though. I don’t need to get knocked out while riding the subway. I just chuckle to myself and make mental note of it.
Ironically, I’ll then turn around and start using the wrongly worded phrase myself.

I wonder, does anyone else do this? Do you have any favorite incorrect sayings you’d like to share?

I can't think of full phrases off the top of my head, but I have a couple single-word mixups I've heard enough times over the years that I no longer bat an eye at them (although they still make me giggle).

Whelp - A raised red mark on the skin. (welt)

Rock Welder - A large, stocky, black-and-tan dog breed. (Rottweiler)

Credick and debick - Occasionally heard in checkout lines "Will you be paying with credick or debick?" (I assume this one came about because people heard "credit card" and "debit card" and, without seeing them written, it does rather sound like the "c" in "card" is also present at the end of the preceding word).

Last edited:

M. R. Kessell

Registered
Reaction score
Tazlima, I’ve never heard those before, but Rock Welder is definitely my new favorite! Sounds like a good character name for a detective story.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
It always bothers me in writing to see "giving him free reign" or "picked up the reigns of power". But I can see how, now that most of us don't do much horse riding, the metaphorical "free rein" and "reins of power" don't mean much, and "reign" seems to have some connection to what the metaphor is trying to express.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh I have so many!! Heh.

Some I guess are spelling/homonyms/invented homonyms not so much misspoken but still!

Wala! (alternately, Whala, Walla, Wa-lah, etc.) -- it's French, you dingdongs. Voila.

Similarly -- Sike! What would that even mean?

He's balling his eyes out -- What, with a melon baller?

I don't want to be the third wheel -- Yes, you do. It gives stability. You don't want to be the FIFTH wheel, which is an unneeded, superfluous thing.

Peak my interest -- I've had to explain to more than one adult...

Signs that say: '10 items or less,' drive me bonkers. I complained about this only once, at a store that HAD the signs correct and was in the process, right then, of swapping them out to wrong. The woman at the customer service desk, who I thought would roll her eyes at me (but I couldn't stop myself regardless -- and btw, irregardless, regardless of what a dictionary has capitulated) said 'omg, I'm a substitute English teacher and I've been telling them but they don't listen to me -- I'm going to run and tell the manager a customer complained, thank you!!' Signs stayed changed to wrong though.

"My husband and I's opinion is..' That you should've paid better attention in elementary school?

It's a doggy dog world.

M. R. Kessell

Registered
Reaction score
It always bothers me in writing to see "giving him free reign" or "picked up the reigns of power". But I can see how, now that most of us don't do much horse riding, the metaphorical "free rein" and "reins of power" don't mean much, and "reign" seems to have some connection to what the metaphor is trying to express.

I see what you’re saying, I guess “reign” could be forgivable. It’s when people start saying “give him free rain” that I would worry.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
So, I never really thought about this before, but I guess people are saying that that care quite a bit?

I think it's a shortened form of "as if I could care less" or "do you think I could care less?"

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
. . . regardless of what a dictionary has capitulated.

Sportscaster trying to appear educated: ". . . and it begs the question, 'Is Tiger's putt game back?'"

Regardless of dictionary capitulation, educated eyes and ears know "begging the question" is a fallacy in argument when a conclusion is falsely assumed to be fact--not asking a question. :rolleyes

M. R. Kessell

Registered
Reaction score
Peak my interest -- I've had to explain to more than one adult...

Signs that say: '10 items or less,' drive me bonkers. I complained about this only once, at a store that HAD the signs correct and was in the process, right then, of swapping them out to wrong. The woman at the customer service desk, who I thought would roll her eyes at me (but I couldn't stop myself regardless -- and btw, irregardless, regardless of what a dictionary has capitulated) said 'omg, I'm a substitute English teacher and I've been telling them but they don't listen to me -- I'm going to run and tell the manager a customer complained, thank you!!' Signs stayed changed to wrong though.

"My husband and I's opinion is..' That you should've paid better attention in elementary school?

It's a doggy dog world.

Well, Cornflake, my interest has reached its zenith! I am going to be working “It’s a doggy dog world” into as many conversations as possible today.

Your post reminded me of a book from a while back called “Eats, Shoots & Leaves.” Have you seen it?

NateCrow

Registered
Reaction score
If you like these and don't know what a Ricky-ism is, it might be worth checking out. Once in a while I hear a good one and it really cracks me up.

Beauty is in the eye when you hold her.
Escape goat
Friends with the Benedicts
Getting like Hank at this (Getting the hang of this)
Passed with flying carpets
Sweet empowered chicken things (Sweet & Sour Chicken Wings)
Whole different kettle and dish
Worst case Ontario
Cosby, Bill, and 'Stache (Crosby, Stills and Nash)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
OT but related, I just found out I've been using 'unctious' wrong for years!

M. R. Kessell

Registered
Reaction score
If you like these and don't know what a Ricky-ism is, it might be worth checking out. Once in a while I hear a good one and it really cracks me up.

Nate, those are hilarious! Some friends have recommended that show, but I still haven’t seen it. It’s on my to do list.

Btw, while searching for Ricky-isms, I stumbled across the word malapropism, which is the official term for this type of thing.

You learn something new every day.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I was about to say, “how have you been using unctious wrong?” But then I stopped myself and tried to look it up.

Me: Harlan Ellison was a bit of an unctuous fellow

Co-Worker: Ok, stop. You DO NOT know what that word means.