The Pink Elephant on the Wall

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Lost in the woods of TN and prefer it that way
Never lazy to spell time-honored contractions correctly--unless drinking on the job gets in the way. :e2drunk:

Dontt_Drink.jpg

Man, drinkin' didn't cause that... It's due to a state employee who's boss stutters. ;)

Also, many folks listen to what someone says, then are too lazy to actually learn anything about their own language, and simply write what they think they heard: "Would've" becomes "Would of", etc.

I see this all the time on YouTube comments and such, and it makes me wanna smack 'em.

"Yer a native English speaker??? Then go learn some goddamned ENGLISH, ya f**kn' lazy-assed PUTZ!" :rant:

But maybe that's just me... :rolleyes

O.H.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For all intensive purposes...

I recall actually seeing that one on an English paper back in the day. Thank goodness it wasn't Old Hat's version or surely there would of would've been academic probation.

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Lost in the woods of TN and prefer it that way
What inspired my rant that I quoted here earlier was someone telling a legal immigrant that was learning English that they "were retarted and should of stayed were they come from."

I don't take too well to that... especially since my father's parents came over from Germany in the mid-1930's.

It tends to cause me to not only bite, but chew as well. :evil

O.H.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Google published a state-by-state "most misspelled word." In Oregon, it's defanitely definately definitely:

Louisiana, Oregon – definitely

Montana's cracks up some lipreaders :roll:and makes others blush :e2paperba:

Maine, Montana, Wisconsin – vacuum

In isolation, it looks exactly like the "f" bomb + "you."
[h=4][/h]

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Wonder if some favorite media phrases would apply here - like "Double down." I know what they are trying to say but this is not only irritating but not really correct either (my grammar isn't as good as it used to be so I don't know for sure).

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Chase told me "double down" was a gambling term - I'm not a gambler, never heard of the term until the media started using it, I guess the only thing I'm sure of is that it's damn irritating. Sometimes I think I've led a sheltered life.:Shrug:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with you, Porlock - Sooooo, tired of hearing "double down" :flag:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Used to work with an older man who was soooooo very bad about mangling his metaphors that we just started calling them by his last name: Flesnese or Flesnerisms:

"Go over the report with a fine tooth and comb"
"Let me tell you how the cow hit the cabbage"
"Between the Devil and a hard place"

bleacher1099

Dystopian, it's what's for dinner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yupireadthat.com
The worst one for me is "I should of known that" or "How could I of guessed". It's HAVE, not OF! Ugh! My son's girlfriend says it incorrectly often and my son just laughs at me. Bugger!

M. R. Kessell

Registered
Reaction score
Used to work with an older man who was soooooo very bad about mangling his metaphors that we just started calling them by his last name: Flesnese or Flesnerisms:

"Go over the report with a fine tooth and comb"
"Let me tell you how the cow hit the cabbage"
"Between the Devil and a hard place"

These are so good! I’ve never heard the cow and cabbage one, what’s the correct saying?

M. R. Kessell

Registered
Reaction score
Chase told me "double down" was a gambling term - I'm not a gambler, never heard of the term until the media started using it, I guess the only thing I'm sure of is that it's damn irritating. Sometimes I think I've led a sheltered life.:Shrug:

In addition to double down, some other things from the TV that annoy me are “price point” and “mouth feel.” Don’t ask me why.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last night, I saw "cut and dry" in closed captions. Kay says she heard "cut and dried," the phrase we both use, so we looked, and Washington State University lists "cut and dry" in its Common Errors website:

Many people mishear the standard expression meaning “set,” “not open to change,” as “cut and dry.” Although this form is listed in the Oxford English Dictionary, it is definitely less common in sophisticated writing. The dominant modern usage is “cut and dried.” When used to modify a noun, it must be hyphenated: “cut-and-dried plan.”
I'm plumb tickled:e2tongue: to be included with all you sophisticated :Lecture: writers:e2writer:. :rolleyes

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I just found this thread. Not so much word problems, but I know someone who mixes up adages that are somewhat related. I've heard:

"Early to bed catches the worm."
"A rising tide sinks all ships."
"One man's trash is in the eye of the beholder."
"Don't count your chickens all in one basket."
"That's a watched pot calling the kettle black."

And my favorite: "You can kill a bird in the hand with two stones." I mean... yeah, I guess you can.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
My absolute favorite of all time (which in and of itself something...) comes from a show called Sports Night.

Aaron Sorkin did the show and it started right about the time West Wing was starting. Both were fast paced humor, and brilliant Sorkin at his best, but SN was a bit more niche (though for that reason, I think more brilliant).

Anyway, the mixed up metaphor is when one member says,

"Let me spread it out in a nutshell for you..."

"Danny I'm tired of you mixing your metaphors. "Spread it out in a nutshell for you?" Really? Hi, I'm a professional writer."

Or something close to that - if I can find a YouTube clip of it, I'll come back and link it - if not, I'll create the clip myself as I own the set! One of my favorite shows of all time too...

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Though mixed metaphors are the bane of editors (or so goes my big bane theory of relatively wrong), I love 'em from sports commentators. It often makes watching a slow game worthwhile. :greenie

M. R. Kessell

Registered
Reaction score
I forget if I mentioned it, but I work in the construction industry in New York City and I hear a lot of colorful and inventive language almost every day.

Mostly it's just guys heckling one another like insult comics, but every now and then I'll take note of something really special.

Here's a new one that I heard last week: "That's dumb. What a hare-boned idea!"

And another one from a while back: "Is he giving you trouble? Should I get him off your hair?"

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
"You'll suffer a fate worse than debt."

Is there truly a worse fate?

“It’s a face worse than death.” Makes me wonder how ugly the person in question must be.

Rebel rouser.

Some of my faves from former co-workers are word mispronunciations: sammidge, punkin, heliocopter, interpretate.

I actually have a long list of these and am in the process of incorporating them into my WIP, though unfortunately I don’t have room to fit them all without sacrificing some of the narratorialism-ness (hyphen necessary or unnecessary?).

Last edited: