Mowing While Black (and 12 years old)

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some framing on the history of swimming pool segregation.

How timely.

For the past 17 months, Shayne Holland has enjoyed being a tenant at the River Crossing at Keystone apartment complex on the northside of Indianapolis.

He is fond of the friendly neighborhood, the close proximity to his job and the fact that living there puts him just a short walk away from some of his favorite eateries in the city.

But on Friday night, what he expected to be a relaxing evening at his apartment pool turned into a viral on-camera verbal altercation with an off-duty police officer, claims of racial profiling and an apartment manager being placed on administrative leave.

Holland said the incident started after he got done working out at the fitness center of the complex located near 82nd Street and Keystone Avenue. He said he was relaxing in a pool chair when an off-duty Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officer who was working security approached him and asked him if he lived at the complex.
The name of the off-duty officer was not immediately available.

"I had my headphones when she approached me so I didn't hear her the first time. When I asked her to repeat herself, she asked if I lived in the neighborhood. I said yes," Holland said. "When she asked where I lived, I said I don't know you and you haven't identified yourself, so I'm not just going to give you my address."

Holland said he then presented his complex-issued key, which grants him access to the pool area, and told the officer she was welcome to test it and make sure that it worked as proof that he lived there.

The officer then contacted the apartment office to further confirm Holland's residency. That is when Holland started using his cell phone to record the interaction.

The apartment manager arrived, and Holland assumed the conversation would end then and there. He noted that he knows the manager well and had developed a positive rapport with her.

The situation escalates from there.

In the video, Holland repeats that he was uncomfortable giving the officer his home address because he doesn't know her. He then asks why he had to leave after the manager confirmed for the officer that he was a resident.

He notes that he's paid $1,600 in rent for the next month.

"Why do I need to give this lady, who I don't know, my address?" Holland asks in the video. Later he says, "Why do I have to leave my pool?"

The manager responds by saying that Holland was being told to leave because he refused to answer the officer's question.

When Holland again holds up his key as his form of proof, the officer can be seen in the video taking it out of Holland's hand.

Alex Stokely, vice president of Barrett & Stokely, the company that manages River Crossing, told IndyStar that the apartment manager has been placed on leave in the wake of the videos, which have been viewed more than 30,000 times on Twitter.

Holland's case is the latest in a rash of viral incidents that involve black people being confronted or reported to the authorities for ordinary, non-criminal activity. In each case, the party accused of profiling has earned a nickname to identify them on social media.

The Indianapolis incident follows "ID Adam" in North Carolina who questioned a black woman and her son about using a pool and demanded identification; "Pool Patrol Paula" in South Carolina who is accused of striking a 15-year-old black teen and telling him he didn't belong at a pool; "Permit Patty" in California who threatened to call the police on an 8-year-old black girl selling water; and "BBQ Becky" in California who called the police on a group of black people having a barbecue at a park.

That significance isn't lost on Holland. He hopes that the way he handled the situation may lead to positive change, and help others placed in similar situations remember to always keep their cool.

"It's extremely frustrating. I'm from the inner city; I'm from a place where we didn't have a pool in the neighborhood. Now that I'm at an age and a place where I can afford to attain that, I still have to deal with being profiled," he said. "I feel like more and more people in 2018 are comfortable telling young African-Americans what they should and should not be doing."
Tell me about it.

Brandie Sharp and her sons, 17-year-old Mycah and 11-year-old Uriah, were delivering "The Bag" to porches on Barrington Road in Upper Arlington, Ohio.

"It is the whole job of teaching them to work," said Sharp.

But, Uriah had to go back.

"We had delivered to the wrong houses," his mom said. "So he went to go grab the newspapers to make sure everything was okay."

Then, a police officer showed up, and asked what they were doing.

"I showed him the thing for the Dispatch, The Bag, the midday week paper, that we get," she said. "He said 'Oh, really?' and by that time I was kind of like, 'Okay, why are you questioning me about this?'"

Someone had called Upper Arlington Police.

"It looked like at first they were delivering newspapers or something, but I noticed they were walking up to the houses with nothing in hand and one of them came back with something," said the caller to Upper Arlington Police. "I mean, I don't want to say something was going on, but it just...but it just seemed kind of suspicious."

"What was suspicious at 5:30 in the evening? What was this big, you know, reasoning that you had to call the police?" said Sharp.

She felt she had to share what happened in a post that is now being commented on and shared hundreds of times.

"Something as simple as delivering papers and it turns out to be I have to be racially profiled?" she said.

Y'all gon' make me lose my mind
Up in here, up in here
Y'all gon' make me go all out
Up in here, up in here
Y'all gon' make me act a FOOL
Up in HERE, up in here
Y'all gon' make me lose my cool
Up in here, up in here

:rant:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
The other day, we were watching an old episode of Family Feud. The question on the board was "Name a profession that doesn't require a conscience." The first person to hit the buzzer was a black woman, and she said, "Police Officer."

My husband said to me, "Wow. That's telling, isn't it?"

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading a Twitter thread from author Tomi Adeyemi. The first tweet:
4 officers just showed up on my doorstep.

they showed their badges and asked to speak to someone inside my house.

i instantly saw their guns.

when i asked if they had a warrant, an officer threatened to come back with a warrant and rip my door off its hinges.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Couponing while black

In the video, the manager, identified as Morry Matson, is seen shaking as he speaks with police on the phone. While describing Hudson to police, he calls her African-American to which she responds “I’m black. Black isn’t a bad word.”

Matson is running for 48th Ward alderman. One of his campaign promises is “increased police presence throughout Alderman Matson’s 48th Ward.” According to his aldermanic campaign website, he was a state delegate for President Donald Trump in the 2016 election and is president of the Log Cabin Republicans of Illinois, a group advocating for LGBTQ conservatives.

I know we're supposed to comment when we link, but what can I even say? IMO, Coupon Carl (that's what I read he's being called) is a racist who wanted to use the police as a weapon against a black woman (love her). IMO, that's why white people call the police on black people.

This one has me shaking (about like he is in the video. I wonder if that's a medical condition or just...hate?) but I think that's a hangover from staying up until 3 am to finish The Hate U Give. Every one of these is enraging and awful. I hate how fast I read them to see if anyone was killed, how relieved I am when the police don't kill the black person, how angry I am when there are no repercussions for the white person. CVS is investigating. Will check back to see the outcome.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
This idiot called the cops over a coupon? He shouldn't be running a store, let alone running for office! The newest cashier where I shop knows that you merely refuse a dubious coupon. If the shopper makes a fuss, you send her up the line, where she will gently be sent on her way - if this guy is the manager, OMG!
Tear up the coupon, if you want, but call the cops?
If he gets to be alderman, who's going to break it to him that the 'increased police presence' does not mean he gets to treat it like private security?
If ever there was a guy to charge for 'wasting police time', its this guy, so the voters can get a good look at what they're voting for.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
This idiot called the cops over a coupon?

I'm waiting for :

"Hello, 911? I went to a restaurant and a black waiter served me. My grilled scallops didn't taste so good. Now I'm afraid for my life."

"There are two black people ahead of me in a long line at the theater, and I really want to get a good seat. Could you arrest them, or at least pull them out of the line for questioning?"

"Please send help! I bought a book for my toddler and there was a picture of a colored person inside!"

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
How bad is it that I clicked on this prepared to read that the twelve-year-old had been shot dead?

Me too. I'm very glad it ended well, at least. Sometimes cops do behave with judgment and restraint. Reading the rest of this thread, it saddens (and infuriates) me that so many people feel the need to call the police for such stupid reasons.

Cops don't always come out when they are called. I know people who have been victims of actual crimes (like petty theft) where they were told to simply come by the station to file a report. I wonder how often cops get calls like the ones mentioned in these threads and dispatch simply tells the caller they don't send officers out for little things like that.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Minneapolis should be proud! Both of their police officers and their City Hall health department. After all, the kid is selling cooked meat products.(Higher risk then acidic lemonade) But instead of shutting him down, the police got him a permit, and City Hall kicked in by setting him up with some kind of advisor on growing his business, and keeping up with the health codes.
Way to go, Minneapolis police!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Cashing a check at Wells Fargo while black

A black woman says Wells Fargo didn’t want to cash her check. She’s suing for discrimination.

In November 2017, Carroll says, she went to a Fort Lauderdale, Fla., branch of the bank to cash a $140 check. Carroll was asked by a teller to present two forms of identification, a standard company policy for non-customers, Palomino said. After she endorsed the check with a signature and a fingerprint, Carroll told The Post, the teller, who was white, turned her back and flipped over the passport and driver’s license to look at them. After waiting 30 minutes on a couch in the back of the building, Carroll said, she knew something was awry.

Carroll told The Post she went to the counter to inquire about the delay. Frustrated with the wait, Carroll asked the teller to return her identification and check. She refused and fetched the manager, Carroll said. The manager also refused to return her items, according to Carroll, and informed her that they had called the police, refusing to explain why they had done so.

Read the entire article, but honestly, this is patently about being Black, possibly about being black, and female and older.

We gotta fix this. There's no excuse for this. It's just plain evil and it's hatred running rampant. I hope she wins and Wells Fargo pays hard in cash and lost business.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
She has a doctorate in criminal justice, and worked as an assistant bank manager for over a decade, so she knows what should be happening, and she had six additional pieces of identification! As well as being cool-headed enough to call the police - who came right way when she called, which makes one wonder why the poor response to Wells-Fargo's call (if they actually made one). Don't the police keep an eye on banks?

What chance would, say, a 78-year-old homemaker have?

I hope the courts soak Wells-Fargo for every penny possible.
I could understand their suspicion if this new customer wanted to cash a cheque for thousands of dollars, maybe it's some dodgy transaction, but $140?
No, my money's on racism.

As for 'sensitivity training' - this isn't about sensitivity - this is basic customer service. Except for the bit about holding her I.D. hostage while they 'wait for the police' (for unspecified reasons) - surely there's a law against that?

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
I was watching the news earlier, and Ving Rhames had police pointing guns at him in his own house! His neighbor -a white woman- called police and said a large black man had broken in next door. When police knocked Rhames opened his door and immediately had guns pointed at him, until one of the officers recognized him and told the others to stand down. When confronted, the neighbor denied everything.

So apparently that horrendous list of Things Black People May Not Do now includes being inside their own homes. Nice.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Please, please, let the 911 operators have a tape of the call. And, let the police be wearing functional body-cameras. I so want this woman publicly mocked. I want her viral as the plague. Social media - do your stuff!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I was watching the news earlier, and Ving Rhames had police pointing guns at him in his own house! His neighbor -a white woman- called police and said a large black man had broken in next door. When police knocked Rhames opened his door and immediately had guns pointed at him, until one of the officers recognized him and told the others to stand down. When confronted, the neighbor denied everything.

So apparently that horrendous list of Things Black People May Not Do now includes being inside their own homes. Nice.
Thankfully he was famous enough that at least one officer recognized him, or he'd be one dead black homeowner.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I want to live next door to Ving Rhames.

This is his story of opening his front door to a laser dot (he wasn't recognized randomly as a celebrity, but as a fellow parent).

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
We had my husband's niece painting our trim this weekend with her boyfriend (who happens to be black). And, since I live in a racist part of Cleveland, I kept fearing some idiot was going to call the cops on him... :(

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I want to live next door to Ving Rhames.

This is his story of opening his front door to a laser dot (he wasn't recognized randomly as a celebrity, but as a fellow parent).
Reading the link, and you're right, it was blind luck and the officer's good memory that saved him.
What's really appalling is that I suspect Mr. Rhames fears about what would have happened if his teenage son had opened the door with something with in his hand are absolutely correct.

(Oh, and I doubt that the woman who caused all this will be charged. The excuse will be something like:sarcasm 'We don't want people to be afraid to call the police, just in case it's a real emergency." :sarcasm)

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Black people are at risk every time and every place they are not included.

Same as any power minority: Do we all know the black people in our communities well enough to credibly prevent harm/intervene?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
So there's a minor confrontation in traffic; one guy cuts another guy off. It happens.

Except this time, one guy is black. The other guy, who's white, follows him two miles to his house, pulls into the driveway and, among other insults, calls him the n-word (I didn't know whether to be disgusted or relieved that this was all he did). The black guy records it all and uploads the video...and the logo of the business the white guy owns is clearly visible on the side of his vehicle.

From there, of course, the reviews practically wrote themselves.

Service was amazing, he brought his own cross, lighter fluid and hood. Thank you Mr Whitman for your attention to detail.
The end result?

“I’m out of business, I’m completely out, I’m done, I’ll never work in Columbus again,” he says. “This has completely and thoroughly ruined my life.”
Thoughts and prayers.

“I just don’t understand the intensity of the hate,” he said.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Except this time, one guy is black. The other guy, who's white, follows him two miles to his house, pulls into the driveway and, among other insults, calls him the n-word (I didn't know whether to be disgusted or relieved that this was all he did). The black guy records it all and uploads the video...and the logo of the business the white guy owns is clearly visible on the side of his vehicle.

From there, of course, the reviews practically wrote themselves.

The end result?

Thoughts and prayers.
"“I’m out of business, I’m completely out, I’m done, I’ll never work in Columbus again,” he says. “This has completely and thoroughly ruined my life.”"
:sarcasm Aw, my heart bleeds for the poor li'l racist jerk!:sarcasm

Especially with the 'followed him for two miles' part. Yeah, at that point I'd expect gunplay, even if it was two white guys.
Still, he should be happy - he owns the business, so he can't be fired. And maybe some guy with more self-control will buy it from him. At, of course, a deep discount. :evil

And, kudos to the good people of Columbus, who didn't leap to his defence! (Yelp has 'faded out' the comments, but you can still read them if you tilt your screen a little.)

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BECKY ALERT! BECKY ALERT! BECKY ALERT!

Maybe the solution is to make it illegal for White people to have phones.

A recent video of a white woman calling the police on a woman for standing in a likely gentrified Brooklyn building’s doorway highlights the black community’s unawareness of a set of secretly ratified constitutional amendments guaranteeing Colonizer-Americans the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of unapologetic whiteness.

On July 25, Facebook user Darsell Obregon uploaded a video to Facebook of her encounter with a perturbed Brooklynite summoning the police. Obregon was standing in the cop-caller’s doorway to escape the rain while waiting for an Uber to arrive. (The Root could not confirm that it was an Uber. The rideshare may have actually been a Lyft, a Via, a Juno or perhaps a Gett. It was probably not a Gett though, because that is too weird a name for hopping into a strangers car.)

“On Sunday afternoon, I was in #Brooklyn walking to the train when a sudden rainstorm began and I hid in the doorway OUTSIDE of a random apartment in #ParkSlope to shield myself from the rain and call an uber [sic]” the post begins.

“No more than 3 minutes later a young woman who lives in the building opened the front door and told me that I can not stand there and had to leave. I told her I was not going to move (unbeknownst to her I was just waiting for my ride and would be leaving in a couple of minutes) so then she proceeded to call the police ...”

“I absolutely do not know her and that’s why I want her off my property,” the floral leggings-clad Luciferian says into the phone with the attitude of a plantation owner reporting a suspected escaped negro to fugitive slave catchers. “We’re the owners of this building.”

While the caller’s race is unclear, the spicy mayo spreader reports Obregon with a condescending tone that can only be described as “white.” And when the people on the other end of the call seemingly ask for Obregon’s race, the barefoot tattletale simply responds with: “Black.”

As if it is a disease. As if to say, “unwanted” or “not in my backyard.”

As Clarissa explains it, Obregon’s Uber arrives, but the Becky with the good reception is not satisfied. She takes down the Uber/Lyft/Definitely-not-a-Gett’s license plate number and warns Obregon: “If you go anywhere you’ll be committing a crime as well, you know that, right?”

But Obregon escapes in her not Gett away car, leaving Shoeless Susan standing on the sidewalk, still waiting on the cops to apprehend the suspicious doorway stander.

Check out Becky With the Bad Hair's hair. And her clothes. And her bare feet standing on a NYC sidewalk.

Wait. What? :Wha:

Ohmigawd---WHO THE HELL WALKS BAREFOOT ON A NEW YORK SIDEWALK? :scared::crazy: :e2smack:

This particular Social Injustice Warrior is the one who should be arrested and placed in a 24-hr psych hold.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
You know, I suppose in New York you may have to defend your entryway periodically against people who are trying to squat there permanently. But it's pretty darn rude to assume that someone who's obviously stepped out of the rain to wait for their ride isn't going to leave when it arrives.