Fastest Rejection

FJCavallo

Registered
Reaction score
I set a new personal record today — sent out an agent query at 9:43pm last night, and got a form rejection at 10:38am today.

I’ve been tweaking my query on this one for about 2 months, and obviously it needs more work.

I’m told you can put it up here for critique once you’ve hit 50 posts, so eventually I may get there. Until then, if anyone else has a quicker agent-query smack-down (or anything similar to “commiserate” over) I’d love to hear it.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
My top record for a rejection has been five minutes from hitting the "send" button. Must've caught the agent at a really good/bad time, depending on the state of your ego.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
I've had two very fast replies, within the same day. They were among the first queries I sent out when I had no idea what I was doing. I kind of preferred it, they made me realise that my cover letter needed serious work (I'm presuming they won't have read the fifty pages of the MS I sent in that time anyway).

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
12 hours.

"No thanks"

I was 21 at the time and sensitive so it stung. I have thicker skin now so I only cry on the inside. Also that woman has sold nothing of note in the past two year so...:hi: :roll:

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I sent one about 10pm and had a rejection by 8.30am the next morning sent by a reader. I imagine the agency wasn't looking for the genre I sent them so it was an auto reject.

carrie_ann

Registered
Reaction score
I've had one in about 3 hours. I've halted querying now, but I was sending them in batches of 4. That day it was the second one I sent, by the time I'd finished the fourth I received the rejection from number two. Aside from the obvious, the only thing that annoyed me was I then felt the need to submit another before I finished the day's work.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
The very first query I ever sent got rejected 52 minutes later. Three years later, that agent offered rep (though is not my agent). I know it stings, but don't take it personally. And keep moving forward! The only thing you can take away from a fast rejection is that that agent is very on top of their inbox, which is not a bad thing.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
15 min. It was even a personalized rejection.

FJCavallo

Registered
Reaction score
Great stuff. I have to say, if it’s going to be a “no” — 12 hours is better than 12 weeks, for sure.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Dang...I know Shoeless's was faster, but LJD, I think you win with the personalized.

And it was quite obviously personalized, too, not one of those ones where you're unsure if maybe it's a form. She said the humor was good, but she didn't like xyz part of the story.

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
I set a new personal record today — sent out an agent query at 9:43pm last night, and got a form rejection at 10:38am today.

I’ve been tweaking my query on this one for about 2 months, and obviously it needs more work.

I’m told you can put it up here for critique once you’ve hit 50 posts, so eventually I may get there. Until then, if anyone else has a quicker agent-query smack-down (or anything similar to “commiserate” over) I’d love to hear it.

Recently sent a short fiction to a pro publication. It was apparently read immediately and I received a nice note within 30 min. I was actually stunned, it was as if that editor was sitting at her computer waiting for me...

Collie

Registered
Reaction score
14 minutes, personalized with name and title of manuscript.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Clarkesworld used to be the fastest for me, sometimes rejecting my stuff in a day's time. But then I sent a piece to Deciduous Tales and it came back in five minutes. I'm convinced they didn't read it.

Dr Mindermast

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I thought my couple of next-day rejections were fast, but after seeing all of these that were an hour or less I... guess I feel a little better? I mean, not as better as if I got an actual "yes," but it's something.

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Most of my rejections were back when you had to submit by post, haha. So I at least had to wait for the SSAE to get back to me.

Ooh, me achin' back