Where's the line between a character facing challenges ... and overly abusing one's character?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that the main character needs to drive the plot through making choices.

I've heard the main character needs to be flawed, and make mistakes.

So, one of my leads makes decisions and I think each one is clear as an active choice on his part. Some of them are bad choices, and he suffers the consequences. So I thought i had done all of that choices/consequences thing 'right.'

I'm facing the situation now that some professional feedback says I am treating him like a 'whipping boy' (not my words). So - I wonder if there's a pacing issue with his difficulties in the first quarter of the book.

Are there guidelines about the degree of success a character should have up front? Like maybe the first few choices he makes should result in success, to establish his competence. (Some people don't like him as much as I think he deserves, too, and that might be part of the problem, but I'm working on his likability (still.))

Any thoughts about this are so so helpful to me.... :)

Last edited:

NoirSuede

Running gags aren't for me
Registered
Reaction score
as the Good Book once said:

There hath no temptation taken hold of you but such as is common to man. But God is faithful; He will not suffer you to be tempted beyond that which ye are able to bear, but with the temptation will also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I admit, I hadn't thought about it quite like that.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's not necessary for you to let a character demonstrate his competence if he is not, in fact, competent. Dunning-Kruger is a real thing -- it's possible he's way out of his depth & doesn't realize it in the domain he's currently messing up in. (In that case, it may be helpful to show him not being incompetent in some other domain.)

But for the headline question and him looking like a "whipping boy," it's possible that you are just piling on him to an excessive degree. It's an easy thing to do! Some characters show up with a "Kick me" sign on their back. Some are good at suffering for one reason or another. Back when I was into fanfic, it seemed every fandom had a designated "woobie" that all the fan writers loved to hurt, and the fan readers loved to see them hurt -- generally in the context of a hurt/comfort scenario, though, because without the comfort it's just a form of fictional sadism.

So yes, pacing may be an issue. If your character just goes from one blunder to another and just suffers 1 bad consequence after another without any respite, recovery, comfort, or occasional triumph, that may well come across as character abuse rather than appropriate plot development. This is especially the case if the (escalating?) troubles the character is in are independent and not an inevitable causal chain of disaster where it's his (possibly successful) efforts to correct Mistake 1 that cause Problem 2 etc. <-- which can be an effective way to escalate a plot without coming across as unfairly cruel to your poor character.

Alternatively, you may be wanting to beat up your character unmercifully in the first quarter of the book to set him up for something better later on. It's a valid choice, but more challenging. You may need to lampshade it in some way to give readers a clue that's what's going on, and give him some other way to show that he's not just a completely helpless, passive victim of a Cruel Author. Because readers tend not to like helpless passive victims in the protagonist role all that much.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm. I like the word triumph.

Maybe I'll prune out one disaster and accentuate the idea of him achieving a triumph somewhere in that section.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Are you making the character accountable for other characters' flaws/mistakes? Rowling said her HP characters were allowed to do what they wanted and followed the principle of free will; i.e. do what you want as long as you are ready to face the consequences if caught (which may not be direct from authoritative figures, but from vengeance instead).

Brandon Sanderson, in his videos, talks of scaling (try-fail cycles) quit a bit. These are upswings (rise in action or drama) and downswings (setbacks). He recommends foreshadowing three times before a discovery is made and fail twice before achieving a goal. Pinch points remind readers of the power of the antagonist.

I am not sure what your definition of "flawed" is. To me, flaws are not quirks (e.g. logorrhea). Flaws are problems the character must overcome to show growth in the story (e.g. lack of confidence).

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that applies in this particular case, it's more of a Chris McCandliss situation in the beginning, and he's for sure out of his depth. I'm considering upping his competence though, because he doesn't need to be out of his depth for the plot, certainly not as much as he is. I just thought it made for more drama if he was, you know, facing down a wolf pack and losing his food in the middle of the wilderness. I thought that was definitely conflict (specifically, in Sanderson-ese, character:setting conflict.).

I hadn't heard the rule of three for discoveries, so that is useful to think about.

Hitting the balance is kinda tough and it seems to be a moving target because when you pull on one thing another thing suddenly is out of whack. Here, on the one hand no one cares about him (too flat?), on the other hand, they say he's too beat up (too much adversity?).

But, if I prune out one of the disasters (remove some conflict) and replace it with triumph maybe that serves to make for greater dynamism overall.

One problem this solution will create is that it will remove a cliffhanger from one chapter ending. Another problem is that multiple people have complimented that section in particular for its writing. It's a very tactile scene. So, removing that is iffy on those grounds too.

There's a lot to keep track of.

Last edited:

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with benbenberi's points. The main thing is, while the character may be heading toward disaster through each mistake, they have to have little victories too - not literal victories, but points where some little good is happening to them, where things work out for them rather than against them. So for example, if the protagonist faces a defeat at the villain's hands (it doesn't have to be a villain, just giving an example here), and another one follows soon enough, it'll be a good idea to balance it with a victory where he manages to score a point against the villain (or whatever the situation is). Now, the so-called victory might lead to further disasters, but the reader will be satisfied by it. Otherwise, when bad things keep piling up, the readers sometimes stop caring because they know nothing good is going to happen to the character, which is rather frustrating to read.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Otherwise, when bad things keep piling up, the readers sometimes stop caring because they know nothing good is going to happen to the character, which is rather frustrating to read.

Maybe this is part of why some people don't like him as much as I do. I hadn't connected it like that.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
It's unpleasant to watch people simply suffer without something to balance it out.

I forget the exact example but I read about this once in a book where a character (or possibly a writer) was talking about how soldiers made a man grovel repeatedly in front of his children--people react negatively to humiliation and abuse if it's sickening. Sometimes it is appropriate, but stories are typically about people who fight back, even if that's less realistic as options go.

It may simply be that your character could benefit from proactivity. Some characters go through truly awful things andthey're always pushing back, at least mentally if not physically. Resilience and proactivity are probably the defining traits of a protagonist imo.

For anchor, this is why my main character isn't the protagonist. I'm using it as an example since you've read some of it. Ro is more resilient and proactive; Remy is a whipping boy (girl). Therefore Remy can't carry the show, even though she gets better over the course of the story. If Remy were to carry, she'd need some reworking.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if this part of it gets into the wilderness aspect.

I love the wilderness, and my heart sings when I am away from civilization - and my hero feels that way too. So this is part of the balance in my mind with the hardship that he is facing, in the wilderness. He is communing with nature, it flows through him, sort of like the force, which to me is ... part of the mysticism of being human. :)

But some people get back to me with comments "Why does he have to go camping? Does he have to go camping?"

Yeah. He totally has to go camping. It's fantastic. But maybe any reader that hates camping will dislike this character by extension.

Anyway, I figured out a new way to get him across the river, and it's more proactive. So we'll see.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Hmm. Not having read the book, I’m not sure if this is the answer but have you adequately shown that he takes respite from nature? It could be not so much a matter of how much you are beating him up in the story but that you’re never giving him any comfort whether it’s in the form of a fellow character lifting him up when he’s down, a break away to regroup and recharge, etc. One of my betas used to call this the calm beats in the storm of your novel. It also gives you moments to better connect with the character as well.

Just a thought.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
That's a good thought. I gave him what I thought were moments of pleasure and mastery, but perhaps a little more of that.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
What's a good story?

(I think I'm back where I started a year ago.)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, 'he has to go camping'. Does he have to go camping ie, it's how he lives, he's on a journey, etc? Or is it more 'camping shows off his need for nature, his desire to commune with the power of nature'.
Is it possible that in your readers' view this is not enough to balance out the wolves and the loss of food? That it feels more like he's been set up to be attacked by wolves, and lose his food?
Could you not either give him some clear benefit (or necessity for)from the camping, and have less destruction from it? Either the wolves merely pass by, reminding him of the dangers, or he only loses some of the food? (The wolves don't eat the veggies, or only the bread is ruined by the rain?)
Or, use it as a chance to show off skills? He builds up his fire to scare off the wolves, or forages for replacement food?
Or whatever combination works for your story.

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
What's a good story?

(I think I'm back where I started a year ago.)

What's a good story? Obviously subjective, but overall reader feedback should be able to indicate whether something is working or not (i.e. in this case, the character's likability/whether a reader roots for them or not).

That said, have you read The Hunger Games? A huge chunk of it takes place in the wilderness, and the game-makers actually keep making things worse and worse for the contestants - but the MC never appears like a weak or passive character. Might be something to look into as an example of how to keep the conflict going without losing readers' interest in the character :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks both.

Trimble I think you're onto something with making the benefit more clear. I've been working on drawing out his magic more, tying it into nature more to up his 'cool' factor and this may solve another incidental problem. I'll try it, anyway. but it gets at what you are suggesting about how nature sustains him. It fits his character to make that more evident and magical.

Sara, I did read the hunger games against my wishes, because I've buried a child myself and find the entire premise of that series horrific. But it was a book club pic, and all the rage at the time, and so I groaned and read it. My response was that the mother was completely unbelievable, that after losing her husband ... that she wouldn't fight like hell to do better for her kids? The iron grip of Panem on district twelve (I forget if they lived in twelve but I think it was) was also ridiculous, that's no way to build a vibrant economy, fencing your populace in. Throwing loaves of bread into the alley? Even burned loaves? in a district where breaking out past the electrified fence to hunt for game is necessary for survival? (and illegal?) No. All of those problems were act I. Book two and three were little more than retreads.

Kids killing kids? Gah.

BUT, the idea that Katniss fought and overcame, is your point, and i take that to heart with gratitude.

I'm not aiming for commercial success, I really am not, and that's part of the issue here. There's more than one reason to write and I kind of have the book I want, I've kind of created the thing I set out to create, and I kind of want to put it online for free on a website ... and move on to the next. On the other hand, the feedback about readability - I'm stewing back and forth. So now for example (separate issue) I'm thinking about adding scantily-clad dancing men to the opening scene (at city hall) to establish more weirdness... and thinking ... oy ... that's just buying into the things that I personally dislike and harsh on in fiction.

But, a few choices are clear, so I'll work on those. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I would separate out the things you dont like from things you feel sell better and put them in a diff book.

Origin is all the stuff *I* like.

Anchor is a lot of stuff I despise but will probably be more marketable. Ie the protagonist.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But for the headline question and him looking like a "whipping boy," it's possible that you are just piling on him to an excessive degree. It's an easy thing to do! Some characters show up with a "Kick me" sign on their back. Some are good at suffering for one reason or another. Back when I was into fanfic, it seemed every fandom had a designated "woobie" that all the fan writers loved to hurt, and the fan readers loved to see them hurt -- generally in the context of a hurt/comfort scenario, though, because without the comfort it's just a form of fictional sadism.

Example: Legolas.

Harrison Ford seems to play that kind of eternally suffering character a lot.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten this advice about taking out the unmarketable stuff from a gal in real life too. But again, I'm not looking for commercial success, never was. I'm a scientist. I'm writing to 'make the science accessible.' That's all. This is actually - - - what we're asked to do in academia. 'Make the science accessible.'

So, I put the science (evolution, atmospheric chemistry, all the things we know and can actually use that knowledge to save our world) into a new frame (this book) and then ... I'm asked to remove the science from it altogether.

I guess no one actually wants the science accessible. At least, very few. No one wants the science.

See the problem? I have zero interest in being an author of the sort that I suspect most people here are aiming for. I'm just trying to make as much of the science of climate change as accessible as possible. i've already cut way more than I wanted to (parts per million of different gases, isotopic signatures, and so on). The oil formed over evolutionary time scales. We are burning carbon that has been locked away for 300 million years. We are burning it all in under 300 years. The math: It takes a million times as long to *form* as it takes for us to burn. That's a problem. We're putting too much carbon into the air way too fast and way faster than the system can absorb. by a factor of a *million.*

If we could see that carbon coming out of tailpipes? we might all understand the gravity of the situation, a little bit better, and that's Myrta.

We needed to stop burning oil in 1990. We have only accelerated.

The fossil fuel industry is content to do anything that will keep the money flowing in. This includes owning politics (along with the NRA). The EPA chief is happy to help. (!!) It makes him rich. Everyone in the administration is happy to help.

^^ None of that is candy, and none of it is fiction, and very few people want to think about it because we all use fossil fuels and in a sense we are all complicit. People want candy, like a nice story about an attractive soul mate and victory and triumph and above all no guilt. I have no plans to sell candy, but am happy to caramelize my carrots as much as possible before serving them, so if making Alphonse magical helps explain the evolutionary scales we're dealing with, then that's good. I don't expect to get rich selling carrots, even carmelized ones. :)

But this drifts from the point. I think the answer to the original question is that Alphonse can have a little more proactivity. He's driving himself already, but readers don't seem to see it. So I guess making a decision is not the same as fighting a pack of wolves and emerging victorious. I would have thought the first was proactivity but it sounds like people think the second is.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Neither do I, and my goals are even less good than that (to illustrate the fact that we all have such vastly different perspectives as humans, and to be heard).

But I won't be heard at all if I don't publish something sellable, or at least that is my thinking. We'll see if it works. Also I must get those 50 back to you :)

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I think the problem is focusing on science instead of on people (that's what accessibility means). A kid doesn't need to be lectured on neither thermodynamics nor in the cellular composition of his skin in order to prevent him of putting his hands into the fire, if you get what I mean.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing to make science accessible. That's all. I was asked to do this. I was told that was why some people weren't on board with the climate science. I was told ad nauseum, by students, by people in the media, by other scientists, by everyone - that the problem is the science is not accessible.

I have come to suspect no one wants the science. At all, in any form.

They want relationships, fights, sex, and fast cars. They want endorphin rushes. They want fiction that pushes happy buttons in the brain. So, alright, I guess I understand, but whatever.

(On the plus side, the professional feedback I received also said my story is better than some of the self-pubbed books out there. :) So, if i self-pub, I can take solace in that assessment.)