my mom wrote a book about me

poems

Registered
Reaction score
My mom wrote a true story book about me. I was just wondering how she can have best seller?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Nobody can control what makes a best seller. If it were that straightforward, we'd all have best sellers.

Normally, her best chance would be finding an agent for her novel and going from there.

But since your mother has already published the novel, that route isn't open for her.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's really hard to make a book a best seller, but the most important things are that it has to have a really broad appeal, and it has to be published well, with full sales and marketing support, and a good bookshop presence. I'm afraid that as your mother's book was published by a vanity press it won't get these things; and because it's already been published, she will really struggle to find a good publisher willing to take it on now.

In your mother's case I'd consider self publishing it once I was sure I'd got my rights reverted by the publisher; and perhaps contacting any organisations which offer support to people affected by the condition she's written about. It won't make the book reach best-seller status, but it might allow more people to be helped by it, which would be a good thing.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
then she needs to check her contract for when the rights are reverted to her, if they are at all.

The book is still published, even if the company shut down and even if they were a vanity press. She can only really self-publish it now.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
well the publishing company shut down.

I think your mother's book was published by Tate, right?

As we have advised you in your other thread, you must make sure the rights were reverted to your mother before publishing it elsewhere or you'll be in breach of contract.

As it's already been published, it's highly unlikely that a more reputable publisher will be willing to take it on now.

Your mother's best bet is to self publish it, and to promote it herself.

I'm sorry we can't give you better news.