Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
So...

I've had my new 4.2QT Secura Air Fryer for about two weeks now. I've cooked all the fun, quick things (frozen French fries, onion rings, hot dogs, bacon, tater tots, etc.)... I love it! But I believe I'm ready to try some more difficult, more tasty, recipes (not that there's a 'recipe' for an air-fried hot dog)...

Anyone got anything for me to try?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, but everyone at Weight Watchers is yelling that we all need to buy air fryers, just like we all needed FitBits last year. I have so far resisted--but are they right?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
So...

I've had my new 4.2QT Secura Air Fryer for about two weeks now. I've cooked all the fun, quick things (frozen French fries, onion rings, hot dogs, bacon, tater tots, etc.)... I love it! But I believe I'm ready to try some more difficult, more tasty, recipes (not that there's a 'recipe' for an air-fried hot dog)...

Anyone got anything for me to try?

When I hear 'fried', I think 'fish'. Does the fryer come with instructions for frying fish? (Either fresh or frozen?)
Or, fritters: lumps/puddles of batter with 'things' in it?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
No, but everyone at Weight Watchers is yelling that we all need to buy air fryers, just like we all needed FitBits last year. I have so far resisted--but are they right?

Yes.

When I hear 'fried', I think 'fish'. Does the fryer come with instructions for frying fish? (Either fresh or frozen?)
Or, fritters: lumps/puddles of batter with 'things' in it?

An air fryer isn't really a "fryer" as there's little-to-no oil involved; I don't use oil though you can lightly spray the food with olive or vegetable oil if you like. It's more like a convection oven (kinda-sorta), super fast cooking, only supposedly gentler for baked goods since the hot air doesn't blow directly on the food. I got my Philips Air Fryer almost three years ago because I no longer have counter space for the microwave and my much larger convection oven/toaster oven (sigh, I love that thing, but it lost the coin toss to the microwave), which is now in storage. But, yes, you can cook fish and other meats and anything else just as you would with a regular oven. Set the cooking temperature and the timer and you're done and doing other tasks until it pings.

I haven't graduated to baked goods in the air fryer yet since I'm a control freak when it comes to baking. I'm willing to experiment if anyone has tried-and-true recipes they love, though.

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I got a couple recipes for scratch cakes that are air fryer size - haven't plucked up the courage to try them yet.

But if you're a fast-food french fry, tater tot, hash round, and/or onion ring fan, this machine is the greatest.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
Got one of those, and since my wife is unable due to health reasons I'm the cook. So far she hasn't died. Seriously, because she has a low salt, low sugar diet I'm not doing well (that's hard, people). Any website that can give me ideas is welcome. She loves fried okra, french fries (everything she's not supposed to have).