Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 12 (final tally) - 1301 words

Day 13 - 654 words (so far)

Writing first thing in the morning instead of last thing before bed is working out great for me.

WGough - do you have any trusted betas who could go through at least some of your manuscript? You may have nothing to worry about. My general rule of thumb has always been: if three different people say the same thing's wrong, then you've got a problem.

Happy Friday the 13th birthday wishes to Patrick Stewart and Harrison Ford!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 13
Ultra-meh. It was stupidly hot and I couldn't think. Got a lot of reading done but just never got around to writing. A bit too much meh, of late. Tomorrow I'll have a morning writing session. If all else fails, I'll turn to writing exercises & freewrites. I keep not doing that, which is silly because I know it helps!

WGough -- That's a tough cookie, and I can't really give you any quick advice on how to fix it, but I think you're right that your character shouldn't just go through the story reacting to events around them. I'm currently reading a great book about what makes a story interesting. It's Wired for Story by Lisa Cron. You may find some good ideas on how to think there.

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 13 Warning: This post contains swear words

Breathed deeply. Did some soul searching on this WIP. Revised part of a chapter in book two that I've been working on all week. Went to a friend's house. Fortunately, she is one my former writing professors. Whined and wined. She listened as I talked myself out of my writerly hole. Drank more wine. Unfortunately, she's a well-published short story writer working on her first novel and has her own novel-writing woes. Drank more wine. Here I am.

April: I've had wine. Your advice was hard to read, and *warning, I'm about to swear* so motherfucking helpful! All the thank yous I have to give. I was trying so hard to get it done, I wasn't trying hard enough to get it right. I'm not quite ready to give up on this project, so the something new, as you suggested, I've decided, is book two. Which may be a huge mistake, but I'm building on what I learned writing the first book. My background is in short fiction. My master's program focused on character-driven short stories and offered exactly zero guidance for long form writing. So I figured I had this character shit down. Nope. For my first novel writing effort, I wrote a discover draft. Get it done, go back and fix what's wrong. I prefer drafting to revising. But hey, the revision process was not the slog I feared (despite my constant complaining). During the second draft, I found some plot holes and fixed them, found some inconsistencies and fixed them, found some repetitive scenes...you get the idea. Third draft, more fixing, and set it aside. I'll likely revise it twice more before calling it done. For the second book, currently 46,175 words, I'm applying what I learned writing the first book. I've given myself a year to finish these four books. And at the end of that year, good or bad, I'll have written four books. They may be garbage, but they won't have been a waste. I put in a request at the library for the Maass book. Thanks for the suggestion. You're the best!!!

Pterofan: You've got all the word counts! Thank you so much for the advice. No, I don't have any trusted betas. My former writing program classmates, unfortunately, are not the audience for a 100K word m/m historical gothic romance. Now, if I were writing plotless, high-minded, experimental prose...:tongue I sometimes wish I still loved writing plotless, high-minded, experimental prose. Alas, I prefer to write boys in love. Gush.

Daniel: So sorry about your date. Sending you all the good vibes. Vincit qui se vincit, indeed.

Cindyt: Great word count.

Layla: Thank you for the kind words.

Heatherless: Organizing is writing!

Magnus: Boo to meh! I hate that feeling. Glad you got to read. Thank you for the book suggestion. I'll check it out.

Apologies for the wordiness, everybody. And, as always, thanks for the hand-holding. It means the world. :Sun:

Last edited:

Heatherless

Registered
Reaction score
April: You still got some writing done even with the proof surprise, so hooray. Hope you liked the musical!

Much better day today. Got a rough draft of the blog post done.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
April - A wee bit is better than a whole lot of nothing

Pterofan - That's a wonderful amount of wordage!

WGough - Breathing deeply and soul searching is what got me into nonfiction. Lol. You're lucky to have such a good friend.

Day 13

70 words, but I did extensive editing on another piece. I spent time searching for an image to buy for my book cover. I found a maybe.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Daniel - I bet you did great.

Cindy - nice work

Taylor - two pages despite what sounds like tough going - well done!

April, congrats on the wee bit - a wee bit's better than no bit.

Dang Ptero - you're cleaning up!

Magnus - I'm suffering from the mehs. I have stuff to deal with - and I just keep sort of drifting from one room to another…

Daniel - that sucks :p I have 2 thoughts about this - a) There might be a legit reason & things are good or b) rejection is god's protection (& iffen like me you don't believe - the principle is still the same, it's just a pithy set of words - if she's laming out on you - you'll come to find some reason to be glad of it later)

Gough - it sounds like it was some useful whining and wining - congrats on that revision, & I'll raise a cup to your getting some smooth & characterful progress in the coming days

Nice work, Heather, getting that draft done :)

Cindy - congrats on the 70, the revision & the book cover research :)

Day 13 (reporting a day late because internets & computers & sruff)
WIP 1 page
R/SC - Doctor's visit for my back. It looks like his first recommendation for PT doesn't take my insurance :( -- I'm going to see if there are any ways to get around it…
$$ started looking up people from a list of 'competitors' for one of my talent projects -

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Pterofan: Patrick Stewart! What a dude. I’m glad you’ve found a better routine. Your word counts are certainly impressive!

Magnus: Why don’t you set a timer for 20 minutes and write for that and see what happens? Sometimes we just need a wee boost to pull us out the meh-zone. Also, don’t forget to count all that reading. It’s part of the process, too.

Daniel: HUG

WGough: HUG. I’m so glad you got a chance to talk it out with another writer (and sooooo glad you didn’t think I was saying yeah you’re book’s probably shit and you should just burn it :p) It sounds like you know this gig well enough to know when something’s broke or just needs a wee rest and some tweaking. And you’re right: one way or another, you’ll have four books under your belt. (I’m so in awe of your target! My first novel took me two years, and it had no plot.) I hope book two brings you some nice relief from the worries of book one. Also, m/m historical gothic romance sounds AMAZING. If you ever want beta readers I’d be happy to help out.

Heatherless: Musical was grand, thank you! Awesome job drafting your post :)

Cindyt: Ooo can you design book covers? I attempted that a couple of years ago and it was hil-arious. Nice job with all the editing. Editing is my nemesis.

Layla: One page! Woo!

You’ve got this, Taylor.

I caught up on my pages from yesterday. Started off slow, but picked up steam in the end. My head feels super foggy though, so instead of writing more I’m going to take the evening off. Saturday night means Glow and sushi night :)

Day 14: Decent bit; 5 miles; afternoon fog of doom

Heatherless

Registered
Reaction score
Lalya--hooray for the page. Sorry about the PT/back issues.
April--Great job catching up.

Major duh moment today. I discovered I had written a very similar blog post to the one I just drafted last year. Apparently the post wasn't tagged correctly and that's how I missed it. I spent the morning coming up with a new idea and researching it. So much better than spending a ton of time figuratively kicking myself, though there was some of that, too. :)

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 14

Slayed (revised) a beastly chapter. Revised half of a rather fun chapter.

Cindyt: Wow, that's a productive day. Congrats.

Layla: Great work. Sorry to hear about computer troubles. The worst.

Taylor: Congrats on your chapter!

Pterofan: Nearly there, nearly there! Get it!

April: Way to catch up! Hug back at you. Glow, sushi, and foggy head? We may be related. I look forward to burdening you with my work. Open for a swap if you need more eyes on yours.

Heatherless: Great catch! Enjoy that research!

We're nearing the halfway point, folks. Swim, swim, swim.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor - nice work, Taylor :)

Ptero - congrats on those 465 words

April - That's always great when you end up doing more than you expect. Hope ypu got some good rest

Heather - "So much better than spending a ton of time figuratively kicking myself" <-- I've been there! (so great to put that stuff behind you_

Gough - glad to hear you slayed the beast and had half a fun!!

Day 14
WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - did some mending on a pair of gloves I really like. They were in a "couldn't wear them, couldn't get rid of them" limbo for uh um - four years?; 6 hours of earning service
$$ - market research

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
April - I'm going to buy paint pro and try my hand at designing one. If I'm no good, I'll find an image and edit it. Have fun to night!

Pterofan - Good job!

WGough - I'm swimming and keeping my head above water. Lol.

Day 14

Edited The S Alexander St. Snoots

Got permission to write articles about two dead friends
Decided to download Paintshop Pro and try my hand at book cover design. If all else fails I can at least edit images.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Heatherless: Ah, at least you caught it before publishing!

WGough: Glad you slayed the beast! Oh yeah, definitely. I don’t have anything just now (all my stuff’s either finished or waaaay too rough) but happy to read yours whenever. Just pm me.

Layla: You’re so responsible for mending stuff. I had a pile of socks I was going to mend, and all they did was gather dust. I wish I were as handy as you!

Cindy: Good luck with the design. I certainly had fun when I did it. Well, there was lots of laughter anyway… At first I used a paint program, then I used Canva and got mildly better results.

I had some proofing and biz stuff to do today; managed to squeeze my page in around that. I’m sort of blowing hot and cold with this project at the moment… I guess that’s all part of the process. I estimate I’ll be drafting another five weeks, then I can get my paws on it and start editing. Can’t wait to crack out my coloured pens!
But first: an afternoon of sport, thank you very much.

Day 14: Decent bit; 8 miles; fitbaw

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Five pages. Chapter done. The book is done.

This story, which I love dearly, is done. 368 manuscript pages. Will get word count later.

For now, I need to go cry.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I'm making some progress re-jigging "the visitor". The basic premise, plot elements and characters remain the same, but are doing different things in different places.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 14-15
Yesterday was actually fine, I did some freewriting in the morning as planned. Then I had guests and forgot to check in. Today I'm super lazy but it's Sunday which means it's okay. Back at it tomorrow, going to try to turn that freewrite into a scene and finish cleaning up some notes on my main WIP.

Layla -- I get the meh every now and again and have to fight my way back. But at least the meh isn't half as strong as it used to be!
April -- The reading is important and I'm glad I do much more of it than I used to. I might try the timer trick, I've done that before. I always have to keep doing new tricks because the old ones stop working after a while. It's silly that I need to trick myself into writing, still. :/

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 15 - 787 (so far). Dunno if I'll do any more today. I was switching off between the story and paid freelance work all morning. Finally needed a break from both.

My "D" key was sticking yesterday, but today it appears to be working fine. Go figure.

Taylor - yay for finishing the book! Today you are a writer. Go have a good cry, take a day or two off, and then go start the next one.

Heatherless

Registered
Reaction score
Taylor--congrats on finishing the book. I missed working on mine when it was done, too.
April--ooh colored pens. Yes, definitely better than publishing practically the same post.
Layla--hooray for the 1/2 page.
WGough--glad some of the editing was fun.

Got my blog post draft done, whew! Thanks for the support. :)

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 15

Revised a chapter, wrote a whopping 163 words of new scene.

Layla: Congrats on your 1/2 page. Way to mend.

Cindyt: Good luck with cover design. How exciting.

April: Sporty day and work done. Get 'em!

Taylor: Congratulations! :partyguy: I'm so happy for you. Crying with you.

Keithy: Great progress! I hope you feel better about it.

Magnus: Sunday means "permission to laze" in Klingon. I might be misremembering that little factoid.

Pterofan: Great word count. Have a nap on me!

Heatherless: Yay for your draft.

Have a great week folks. See you tomorrow.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm not dead! I haven't been able to write in awhile because my new job was super crazy last week and I've been completely exhausted from it/being a tad bit sick. I'll get back to writing soon hopefully, but today is all about doing homework for school.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
April - I found an image in my files. Duh.

WGough - It was exciting. Good on you for putting in some work

Magnus - I'm in a big meh right now. Glad you are producing.

Day 15

Edited and submitted South Down and Bound to The Voice. Created a cover for the book of expanded articles.

The Cherokee: 526 words. I procrastinated most of the day because it's the story of a friend who died of cancer 19 years ago. I still cry. But I plunged on ahead, and it's almost done.

I keep thinking about the historical and crime novels I shelved.

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Taylor: WOOO! :snoopy:

Keithy: To quote Ursula Le Guin, you have to find a path through the forest.

Magnus: Freewriting can be a great way to get the juices flowing. I really should do more of it myself… Glad it worked out well for you.

Pterofan… is that because you keep writing ‘dinosaur’?

Heatherless: Yay, the draft is done!

WGough: Yeah but I bet those 163 were STELLAR :)

KayMitch: So glad you’re not dead :) Starting a new job is going to take its toll; but don’t worry, we’ll all still be here when you feel more up to it.

Cindy: So sorry to hear about your friend. It must be very difficult to write about.

Daniel: GOOD LUCK!

Writing was a weee bit sticky today, but I got my three pages in the end. I feel like I’m hitting the midpoint, but I’m about 20 pages short. Luckily, because the story jumps around between characters, it should be easy enough to go back and expand a viewpoint. I’ve got a hunch about where to expand, but I’m not going to do it until I reach the end of this first exploratory draft. OH, and I had my first sale outside Amazon! (I’m at that stage in my career where one sale is like PARTY TIME WOOO! CRACK OPEN THE CHAMPAGNE!) Anyhoo, I don’t expect a flow of sales to follow, but it was nice nonetheless.

Day 16: Decent bit; 8 miles; I Heart Carl Sagan

Status
Not open for further replies.