July Challenge - Write Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but another drive be for me for day 18 - might be drivebys till I get my network fixed. Wrote ~1/2 page, day in the country & small errand run, & practicing some performance work - 3/3 (just barely)

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm just drive-by updating to let y'all know that I'm dropping out this month ^^ Hopefully things will be better in August as I sort some stuff out.

I'm so proud of everyone though! Lookit all y'all, killing it with words, and being awesome. I'll keep checking the threads and I'm cheering for everyone. Keep swimming!

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Pterofan: I second xenylic: either option is impressive after work.

Magnus: Enjoy the peace and quiet.

xenylic: Oh, description is the bane of my life, too. Great job getting so many words down; you must really love that penthouse! And awesome job doing an early morning workout :)

Heatherless: Glad to hear the surgery went well. Hope everything doesn’t get too hectic!

Daniel: Glad you’re back in the groove :)

Cindy: Here comes the general! (The moment you’ve been waiting for!)
Sorry. Can’t help but sing Hamilton at every possible opportunity. That’s some impressive blood you’ve got there!

Layla: Nice work writing half a page. Hope you get your network sorted soon. We miss you!

thereeness: Hope you get stuff sorted and can return in August. We miss you too!

Meh, second day of feeling ill. I managed my three pages, but the lack of exercise has left me feeling a bit rubbish. Also, I’ve had to stay in most of the day waiting for a package (which still hasn’t shown). Hopefully I can be a bit more active tomorrow.

Day 19: Decent bit; 3.5 miles; super snoozefest

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 18 - 1410 words

Day 19 - 1345 words

Yep, I've finally hit the pre-written part of the story. Most of those words were put on paper back in November. The story's pretty much done; it just needs to be transcribed. I might get it finished over the weekend. I'd say yes for sure but I'm slow.

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 18
Finished revising a particularly pesky chapter, read some craft books, researched medieval knights (fun!)

Day 19
More progress today. Revised two chapters of sexy times.

Keithy: Interesting, exciting demons get my vote.

Cindyt: Wow, congrats on the articles. Happy editing.

Daniel: Nice word counts. Glad you're back!

Layla: Thanks for driving by.

thereeness: Hope August is better for you.

April: Ugh, what a crap day! Hope you feel better. Way to push through the yuck.

Pterofan: Congratulations. Bodacious word counts!

Stay cool, everybody. Doesn't swim, swim, swim sound good in this heat?

Last edited:

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't opened my laptop in like four days. This job is killing me, but in a good way. I love it! Absolutely love it. My body is just still adjusting to the whole 40 hour work week on my feet again. I've basically been working, showering, eating, and sleeping constantly. Oh and walking the dogs. I promise I still do that. The raptors need their walks. I will probably not be getting back to any serious writing until next month but I'm so glad to see all of you still trucking along!

Also I apparently have to make an author website for my classes and I am not excited. That is so much work Dx

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Reeness - good to hear from you, and hope things will be going smoothly soon!

April - I got a bit sick this last week, too. :( Congrats on getting the 3 pages done

Ptero - nice, congrats on all those words - keep at it!

Gough - sexy progress - that's nice!

Kay - keep on keeping on :D

Day 19

WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - made a nice b-i-g batch of lentil stew - I'll get ~8 dinners from that :) Did some admin stuff
$$ - performance practice

xenylic

Advancing to the Castle Age
Registered
Reaction score
Heatherless: Hopefully the inspiring kind of research that fills you with ideas as opposed to the "there's gotta be something interesting here" variety.

Daniel: Yeah, I've been feeling that mood lately too. Glad to see you're pulling through it!

Cindy: Aw, thanks for stopping by! I love the concept for your book! That's incredible!

thereeness: Organizing for the future, that's all that matters! See you in August and keep your head held high!

April: Ooph, being forced to wait on other people and things just kills any and all momentum you've got going for you. I'm impressed you keep writing, though, throughout the sick days! Well done!

Ptero: You're at the golden point, though. It's only matter of days of difference now that you've crested the hill and completed the story. Put it in neutral and slide into to an easy victory!

WGough: The best times if I do say so myself. Good job keeping on with those revisions!

KayMitch: I'm so happy to hear you're doing well with the new job! I'm glad it's keeping you busy in the right ways, and don't worry, your writing won't go anywhere while you work on other things for a bit!

Layla: I love lentils in anything! That sounds delicious and hurray for another solid half page of writing and responsibility!

I really need to stop being this late into the day. Time management has been…pretty messy, I admit, and it's only a matter of time before either I start waking up too late, or exhaustion starts taking over.

This time it had to do with my writing session. It was brutally slow, and I had to keep at it well into the afternoon, which is never a good sign. I just got distracted with other minor tasks, with fixing some visual things of my website and organizing images in certain folders, I knew I was playing with fire, but I just went on and burned myself anyway.

I got 1.4k, which I should be happy about on its own merit, but I'm not. My mind is too scrupulous and snobby about the quality of the words and how I'm not really hitting the mark for the scenes I have going for me at the moment, and how one of my characters, who is really integral to the plot, is staying way too silent and too passive in the background right now, and —ugh.

Long story short, my editor side is showing. Hopefully, I can catch back up bright and early tomorrow, finish the week strong, and just get back into the free spirit, anything goes, can-do attitude I'm so fond of when I write well.

Good luck tomorrow, guys!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
April - Three pages is a lot when you're sick. Good job!

Pterofan - Good for you!

WGough - I hate writing pesky chapters, and even when one turns out splendid, I hate rereading it. Go figure. I love to read about knights! Glad you had some fun.

xenylic - 1.4K words is a lot to write in the face of time management problems. Good on you!

Layla - 1/2 page is better than nothing. Sorry you're having so much trouble with your network.

Day 19

Word count 218

Wrote from midnight to about noon, finishing the 1st draft of the front stuff and the Prologue: A SASHAY INTO FEUDAL HELL. Then I went to bed and slept all day and woke up sick. So, I didn't add much more wordage as I'd hoped. I'm better now and will start Chapter 2 soonest.

FYI: I didn't mean to imply I was blood kin to Jesse James and Crazy Horse.

The connects are in my family records.

1. Two of my daddy's ancestors were outlaws who rode with the James-Younger Gang.

2. Gen. George Crook (who most def is blood kin) led the Battle of Rosebud Creek against Crazy Horse in 1876 (just a few days before Crazy Horse slaughtered Custer and the 7th Cavalry.)

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Pterofan: Yay! The finish line is in sight!

WGough: Sounds like a fun couple of days ;)

Kaymitch: So glad you’re loving your job. It makes such a huge difference to life overall. I’m sure writing will poke its head back out when a space opens up.

Layla: Mmm… lentil stew. Nice and wholesome, to feed the imagination :)

xenylic: Ah, the editor…such a pain in the arse. There’s no other way but to mentally stick your finger in your ears and say ‘Not listening!’ Hope it shuts up so you can get on with writing :)

Cindyt: Wooft, do you always write through the night like that? Hope the sickness recedes.

Well, I got as far as 2.25 pages before stopping. I’ve gone off track somewhere, so I’m gonna go back, look at what I’ve got, and work out what I need to do. The problem is I understood what the book was about earlier this week, so my brain’s been trying to wrap up the story before it should be wrapped. The result is cheap revelations and some stuff that plain doesn’t make sense. So, fun times ahead!

Day 20: Decent bit; 4 miles; prosecco-and-pizza-thank-goodness

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 19 (additional) - an extra 815 words

Day 20 (so far) 214 words

The end is in sight! I'm on the final scene. I had an eye exam this morning, so I'll wrap it up as soon as I'm sure my pupils have fully un-dilated.

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 20
Woke up with a pesky plot bunny and outlined it for the first half of the day. Drafted a new scene, 1,841 words. Revised 1/2 chapter

KayMitch: Good luck with your site. Looking forward to hearing from you more next month!

Layla: Mmm, lentil stew. Congrats on your 1/2 page

Cindyt: Great prologue title!

April: Same! Oh the evil temptress that is cheap revelations.

Pterofan: Great word counts.

xenylic: Been there. I have to get up and pace to find words that don't make me cringe. And while pacing I'll remember, oh, yeah, that plot point needed to happen four chapters ago.

Heatherless: Congrats on the research.

Have a great weekend folks!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This month isn't going well for me at all. I'm bowing out, but I will return next month--hopefully meeting the challenge each day!

Good luck everyone!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
OK I've had a difficult week, completely lacking in motivation for writing.

But today - suddenly - 1123 words!

:)

swim swim swim

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Daniel - Sorry you've had such a hard time. Happens to me sometimes too

April - Yeah. I'm a night owl. I hate it when I spend a lot of time on cheap writing. I wonder sometimes if my brain is still laying on my pillow.

Pterofan - Congrats!

WGough - It's good that you can outline. I cannot do it. And I don't need to do it on my auto. I already know what's going to happen and in what order each narration falls. Lol.

Keithy - Good job!

Heatherless - Good luck!

Day 20

A rabid bout of insomnia boosted my book's word count. I didn't sleep for at least 24 hours. So, I wrote all night and all day. Finally caught a couple of hours of Zs.

Total words: 2.4K

Changed my title to something shorter that looks super on my cover. Changed the Prologue title to ROOTS and the first chapter is now Mokey. Added a theme verse from Romeo and Juliet.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Xen - Ugh - I can relate to those days (but not your word count!) I think you've been doing 1.4K for a while. Keep it up!

April - oh, the roll-back… frustrating but - somehow good. I always have the idea that one ends up with something better than what one would have otherwise had - you get some kind of additional perspective on the matter.

Woooweeee Ptero - 'The End' is some of the most beautiful words we can write ;)

Nice work Heather :)

Gough - oh, the dreaded bunnies. Sounds like you got some good work done, even with.

Take is easy, Daniel - and be kind to yourself (((hugs)))

Well, dang, Kiethy, talk about way to make up for lost time. Nice work!

Cindy - if I had that kind of insomnia, I'd most def just be a zombie. Well done.

Day 20 -
WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - countryside time; got a wee tiny start with an admin task I was procrastinating about
$$ - placed an ad (procrastinated for 3 weeks…) for a housemate (the last person was only here for 2 months)

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 20 (last night) and Day 21 (this morning) - 1117 words

It's done! WIP #1 is done! :hooray: Final word count, 40,377. That's about twice as long as I thought it would run. No wonder it took me so long.

Note to self: email myself a copy of the file. Yahoo and thumb drives are my backup.

Daniel - take care of yourself and hopefully we'll see you in August.

Keithy - woo-hoo!

Since I wrote this morning I'm off the hook for the day, so I'm going to grab a book written by somebody else and enjoy being stuck in the house by rain. Tomorrow I'll dive back into WIP #2. Or an anthology story, which has an August 24 deadline. Or that other story I abandoned and want to get back to. Maybe I'd better take today to sort out my priorities.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 19-21
Sorry, I took some time off in general, which has been nice. There's just been too much going on lately, too many people around for this introvert. I've done some writing, but not a lot. I'll try to get back on the horse these next few days.

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 21
Very little progress today. Am totally stuck in a scene that does nothing. Feeling meh. Can't concentrate.

Daniel: See you next month, pal. Take care.

Keithy: Awesome word count.

Cindyt: Amazing word count.

Layla: Good luck finding a housemate.

Pterofan: :partyguy: Congratulations! I miss rain.

Magnus: Take care of yourself. This introvert relates.

Heatherless

Registered
Reaction score
WGough--I think yesterday's word count makes up for that!
Layla--great job.
Cindy--I am in awe.
April--pizza, yum.

Fortunately I got some writing done today, though it wasn't exactly flowing. It does help to write when the person who had surgery takes a nap. :)

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
279 words today. Shana has found an underground temple with some interesting inscriptions on the walls. (this sounds like Indiana Jones)

Special mention to Pterofan - yes, "The End" are two nice words. Well done.

One day I hope to get there...

keep on swimming!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 21

It stormed all day here and the power went out, but I got caught up on my sleep.

Word count - 14 :roll:

I'm rearing to go this morning though.

Scout

Registered
Reaction score
So here it is, my goal for July:

1. 5 days a week, write for minimum 30 minutes on current WIP

2. 2 days a week, write in journal about my WIP for minimum 10 minutes

3. Each day, In my calendar, track time spent writing, making note of things impeding progress, to better analyze my habits.

Lets see how this goes.

Good luck everybody!

there was a wagon....
and I fell off.... big time

yikes.

I did better when I wasn't posting my goals in public- ha-

what a month- new position at work, finishing an online graduate school class, sick dog, fight with spouse, birthday, holiday, car issues for myself and two of my kids, oy vey!

dropping out of this challenge and going back to keeping track on my own. I can write about 5 days a week, something happens on those other 2 days and I don't want to beat myself up about it, not productive.....

keep writing! even if its 50 words a day, cause in time that's a book. slow and steady wins the race.

peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.