BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
  1. Self-pub your m/m novel on Amazon.
  2. Let it percolate.
  3. Create a pseudonym.
  4. Take the m/m novel from step 1 and change the pronouns to female.
  5. Take the above novel and change the names to female.
  6. Congratulations! You've just written a f/f novel!
  7. Self-pub your f/f novel on Amazon.
  8. Let it percolate.
  9. Create another pseudonym.
  10. Take the f/f novel from step 7 and change one of the characters back to male.
  11. Congratulations! You've just written a m/f novel!
  12. Self-pub your m/f novel on Amazon.
  13. Watch the numbers roll in!
  14. Just hope nobody notices.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
If you're going to turn m/m into f/f, you'll need to change a lot more than just the names. Otherwise you're liable to end up with scenes like "Moira sucked Felicia's humongous c*ck into her mouth while her fingers caressed Felicia's b*lls." Unless you're writing SF or fantasy, where that would work.

Somebody actually got away with this?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
According to the link in the OP, yeah. And they were merely a variation on another attempt. And they may not be alone.
Thank you, BenPanced!

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
You could do fascinating social experiments by having different groups of people read and rate the different versions of these books. Analogous to experiments where the same resume is sent to hiring managers with names that signal different sexes, races, etc. (Never mind the enormous cost of getting a large enough sample of people to participate in a study that requires them read an entire book; it's interesting to think about!)

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I get writing the tropes, but c'mon! These shenanigans support the spurious claim that m/m romance writers just write m/f romance with two male MCs. Or the other way around. Something, something, rant, rant, rant.

They didn't even bother to change the covers for the m/m and m/f sports series. I might be the only on miffed by this. Thanks, BenPanced.

Last edited:

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Oy.

I swear, if these people would put just HALF of the effort into doing something good/productive that they put into how to 'game the system' we would have long since found a cure for cancer and a number of other societal woes...

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Oy.

I swear, if these people would put just HALF of the effort into doing something good/productive that they put into how to 'game the system' we would have long since found a cure for cancer and a number of other societal woes...

Amen.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's really surprising is after this blog post, nobody's said or done anything. Usually, this sort of tomfoolery ranks complete and total evisceration on Goodreads and the usual outlets. But nary a peep.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
There's been kickback on FB, including from one of the authors responsible, saying "everybody does it". :Wha: (Funny, I've not heard of an author doing this to his own work before). He's since deleted his FB account and post.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
There's been kickback on FB, including from one of the authors responsible, saying "everybody does it".

So he's an extreme solipsist? :D

Can't say I've heard of anyone else doing this either. I do know some authors do PG-rated versions of their more sexually explicit books, but I've *never* heard of anyone changing genders and republishing the same material.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't run across the gender swapping, but I have found authors with multiple titles who introduce a MMC who is interchangeably a billionaire/mafioso/navy seal/werewolf/vampire/alien/what have you, then go on to tell the exact same story, never touching on the billionaire/mafioso/werewolf thing again. If I actually paid for more than one of these books (even at .99), I'd be PISSED. Maybe the few new sentences written to change the H from one iteration to another keeps it from being a TOTAL scam, but I think not. It's keyword bait and switch.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's been kickback on FB, including from one of the authors responsible, saying "everybody does it". :Wha: (Funny, I've not heard of an author doing this to his own work before). He's since deleted his FB account and post.

I'm surprised that nobody's commented anything on the book reviews, though (ETA: went back and checked the link. They're all 2 years and older on Facebook). According to the m/m Facebook groups, Amazon, and Goodreads, it's all been smooth sailing and life's just a feckin' buttercup of love. The only thing I have seen is somebody trying to accuse fanfic authors who've gone on to be published commercially.

Last edited: