2ndary Characters, do you really need to know them?

Clovitide

Registered
Reaction score
In my WIP I have this scene where the MC and a couple 2ndary characters sit down and really bond, but I have a couple characters who are closed books on their experiences. The MC gets the gist that their backstory wasn't peaches and cream. I have this one in particular where the MC comments on his scars and he kinda locks himself inside. I never actually plan on giving out that information on why he's so scarred.

I'm at this point where the MC and a 2ndary character are going to get pretty close, but it won't be the tragic backstory character. I could change it, I'd just have to reconsider a few things.

My question is, does it matter if his history is never clarified? He's going to play a small part later on, but not huge. As a reader, do you expect his history to be made clear if it was brought to your attention? Or is just knowing he has a dark past good enough?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you've had the MC comment on the secondary character's scars and the SC clam up as a result, you're giving the scarring enough weight that it would make me want an explanation of how it happened. If not right away, then at some point in the story.

It reminds me a bit of the old theatre saying that you don't put a phone onstage unless it's going to ring.

MatthewSteele

Registered
Reaction score
If you've had the MC comment on the secondary character's scars and the SC clam up as a result, you're giving the scarring enough weight that it would make me want an explanation of how it happened. If not right away, then at some point in the story.

It reminds me a bit of the old theatre saying that you don't put a phone onstage unless it's going to ring.

I tend to agree. If it's in the story and you have created a curiosity around it then you should probably satisfy that curiosity at some point. If you don't intend to, I would not draw attention to it. It is perfectly fine to have things that are not revealed about 2ndary characters that make up part of who they are, but if it is asked about in the story then you'll probably want to follow through or the reader feels cheated. For example, in one of my novels about a world where people develop super powers, It never comes to light why people started developing super powers, but I also don't spend any time on people asking about it, so it's not a big deal. But I have a character who has several quirks and acts outside of social norms. It often comes to play and since I've drawn attention to it I am eventually going to reveal his past and explain why.

Clovitide

Registered
Reaction score
Um... yeah, I think I'm gonna work it in somehow. I do think having them talk about it will bring them closer, and it'll make his actions more believable in the next scene. But also, I'm not gonna explain everyone's backstory. Okay, I got my plan formulated. Thanks guys!

Conrad Adamson

Registered
Reaction score
I would agree with the above comments that you should do something with it. However, don't jump to the conclusion that it has to be a thoroughly explained backstory. If the reason for the scars is implied (but not overly reaching and vague) and the mention of the scars is used to round out the character or somehow relate to an action the character takes later, the reader doesn't necessarily need every complete detail.

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
Tolstoy initially wrote about a novella's worth of Anna Karenina's back story, her life and times, before cutting it all out, and instead inserting a sentence here and a sentence there to give a more impressionist sketch of her life up to the point the book starts.
While this is not always the way to go with central characters, with secondary and tertiary such I think it's perfectly OK to make things more or less clear through a fast conversation, or some heavy hints, instead of a full back story.

Rosanna Banana

Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely want to know where those scars came from, especially if they were important enough to mention in the first place. It would drive me nutty thinking it was mentioned (and therefore important to the story) and never got answers.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Perhaps at some point, the secondary character might meet the man who gave him these scars? No need for backstory if actual drama plays out instead.

-Derek

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a possible way to think about it: Does the secondary character's backstory affect the main character and main story arc in some material way? If the backstory of how the secondary character got the scar resonates with the main character in some way, spurs her to action, helps her make a decision, changes her mind about something, etc., then it becomes part of your main story and should be included. If it's an interesting aside that helps you understand your secondary character but doesn't have material impact on the story you are focused on telling, then it might be better omitted.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
My question is, does it matter if his history is never clarified?

It may not matter in this book but could be important later on. In the first novel of one of my series I established a few "triggers" in a major supporting character. He's usually well-behaved, but hit a trigger the wrong way and he goes Medieval on their behinds. The main character did not ask him what the problem was, just accepted and gave the guy his privacy.

Half a dozen books later the supporting character's triggers became the driver for a new novel. He'd been steadily getting more and more edgy and something tipped him over the edge. By then I'd developed my craft enough so it was a book I could tackle.

Otherwise the rule I follow came from a scriptwriter's workshop:

What does the character want and how far is he/she willing to go to get it?

Do that for every character in the book with a speaking part and you likely won't have to do much plotting, the characters will do it for you.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It reminds me a bit of the old theater saying that you don't put a phone onstage unless it's going to ring.

LOVE this. This is the best thing I've read all day.

Keeping this in mind, I remember reading somewhere that, "Real life doesn't make sense, but stories do. Don't have things happen that do not have a purpose. Real life is not fiction, nor should it be."

However, I forget who wrote it.

Just my two cents!