Morality Clauses: Should publishers 'police' writers' behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
During the election, I had two different Twitter accounts separate and apart from my public/actual me profile: one white, male, veteran motorcycle rider. The other female (no ethnicity defined). I tweeted the EXACT same thing from each account - liberal/Clinton supporter. The female one was called the most awful names and just ground into the ground. The male account was attacked but never called names.

Sadly, I only wish I was surprised by this.

Good alter-ego, though. :greenie

This is from ONE TWEET ONE NIGHT. It was absolutely ridiculous. They were out to destroy my life. Why? WTHH???

Same with the game writers this week. There's nothing in them even remotely offensive, but people who probably wanted to hurt her all along organized and picked that example to get her fired. It's probably more complex than one tweet, TBH, but this is why it's so important to cover this kind of eventuality beforehand. Or have different accounts. Preferably both. And frankly, the onus shouldn't really be on the writer to take care of this.

Journalists have, for instance, always received harassing phone calls and such--see the Capital Gazette tragedy. Most decent papers expect those kind of calls and don't go to the journalist and start asking "does this crazy caller have a case or something?" It's assumed. But in less professional arenas less used to constantly facing the public, that kind of process isn't as instinctual.

What is a "rolling delete plug-in?"

You can install a Twitter plug-in that will auto-delete your tweets after a certain period of time. They're gaining quite a bit of popularity because it helps avoid the worst kind of witch-hunting, where people cruise through past tweets for something they can pull out of context and use to get somebody fired.

Sadly, the targets are sometimes completely random. It's hard to remember sometimes, but the vast majority of people aren't on Twitter and aren't complete arseholes. It just doesn't seem like that when you're using Twitter, and that's intentional.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with you. I don't really use social media myself, either, and would need to really be pressed to use something like Twitter. I would think if I did use it, I'd try not to get involved in sensitive issues... though I think the climate of today sort of demands choosing a side, to one extent or another. I'm comfortably on one side of the political spectrum, and pretty passionate about it, but choosing a side these days, by default, means you're courting hostility from a wide swath of people on the other side... which invites internet trolls, angry fans, and other such minefields, as you say. So, yeah, that's definitely something to think about.
Yeah. I thought about it last month, and finally nuked my Twitter account, that I'd had for nearly ten years (albeit used very sporadically). I just couldn't see the upsides of the platform. You'd be hard pressed to persuade me to wade back into it at this point.

This this this this this. I like being on Twitter, but I'm small enough and white male enough to avoid the worst crap. I've still had to manage a couple blow-ups in the past over articles I've written, and it's utter hell.

I get very concerned when I read agent interviews and see agents pushing hard for authors to be on social media at all costs. I get that it can (sorta, not that convinced myself) help sell books. At best, an author's engagement needs to be moderated--not just in terms of actively blocking trolls (there's only so much you can do there, as Susan's case shows) but in making sure you know what to say, when not to say anything, that you have the ability and support to walk away on occasion, etc. But managing a large social media account is really a full-time PR job, and I've met a lot of PR people, including those who manage social accounts, who have no idea how these platforms actually work or how to engage on one with care. It's not an easy thing to do. Pause before you tweet, have a rolling delete plug-in, have a Plan B in case anything does go wrong, discuss crisis management with your stakeholders.

There's a high correlation between the agents I see pushing social media use in interviews and the agents whose own social media channels are badly curated. Ergo, they aren't informed or careful users of the platforms either. Which is fine--few people are, and social media platforms are designed this way. Their purpose is to sell you to advertisers. They are not tools. They are advertising forums with chainsaws on the walls.
I do wonder if the push towards social media comes mainly from those agents, publishers, etc. who are already firmly within the 'bubble'. That may well be most of the publishing industry, and I wonder if there isn't a sort of observer bias in play, where Twitter seems like a good promotional channel to people who already use Twitter, and are in an industry where everyone around them is using it. Perhaps there's a degree of blindness to the fact that the great majority of the public aren't on Twitter, and have no desire to be. Twitter's a narrow audience, and everything I've read suggests it's a mediocre promotional outlet at best, and personal experience suggests it's more likely to be a distraction from writing. That's if it doesn't explode in your face.

I follow that games writer on Twitter. She, like many other creators, has always been outspoken on a variety of issues, and she's always had nasty blowback because that's what Twitter does. She has one bad day, and because the games industry treats unions in much the same way it treats cases of the plague, she ends up fired. There are real risks, especially if you're in a vulnerable position. And it's a pity, because one of the benefits of Twitter is better access. But that can't come at the expense of creators. Morality clauses are, among other things, just another way of pushing all of this out of sight, out of mind. Remember that the Big 5 publishers (and large game studios) are multinational corporations, and they have exactly the politics and behaviour you would expect.
I'm coming to the belief that it's just plain unacceptable for publishers, etc. to put all the burden of social media engagement onto creators, without support. Particularly through flaming dumpster fire platforms like Twitter, but in general as well. Unacceptable, unethical, borderline exploitative. It'd be nice to see morality clauses that went both ways, and offered redress if the publisher dumped the creator into a social media blowup (or for that matter acted unethically in any other way), but ha ha ha hah we know that's not going to happen.

Thank you! My boss said the same thing - stay off social media - but being ACTIVE on social media was written into my 2 book contracts. My publisher's publicists retweeted a lot of my tweets and monitored what I said and did. They didn't react to the troll fight, but PT did. It's insane. I had 3 different responses: PT fired me, my boss was spooked and wanted me to shut it down, my publisher ignored the whole thing. How does anyone understand what to do in the face of over-the-top responses from one place and "who cares?" from another place.
Yeeeech, that contract. I'd be tempted to call my social media accounts 'Albedo's Contractually Mandated Apolitical Meme Diffusion Service' and post nothing but lolcats. Except they'd be ANARCHIST lolcats.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And let's not forget that books were sold, and best-sellers were made, long before Twitter and Facebook etc. When 'social media' was a review in the papers, and hand-written fan letters.
This is my biggest foray into communicating with people on-line, and I still buy a lot of books.

I think that Albedo may be right, that the urge to get authors on social media is pushed by people who are on social media, and therefore assume that everyone else is, too. Up-to-date people in the publishing industry are on it, because they're up on things, so, why not everyone else?

Where I work, it's computers - because the marketing and 'ideas' people are all young'n'trendy and up-to-date, they forget that most of our customers are older people, less likely to have a computer for e-mails, and much less likely to have a printer for those helpful :sarcasm
efforts to get them to print out their own forms.
But, they are the 'ideas' people, and can't be told.

Last edited:

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I think that Albedo may be right, that the urge to get authors on social media is pushed by people who are on social media, and therefore assume that everyone else is, too. Up-to-date people in the publishing industry are on it, because they're up on things, so, why not everyone else?

+1 to Albedo's post as well. This is exactly right.

It's the absolute worst in journalism, and I say this as someone with a journalism degree who doesn't mind being on Twitter, personally. But I remember coming through my program in 2010ish, right around the time Twitter started getting big. The profs were still a bit skeevy about us finding sources on social media. Being from a rural area, I often covered rural issues. That, and sports. As such, I was hardly on social at all. But a lot of my colleagues got all their sources there, and now, just 6-8 years after I graduated (2012), the entire program is built around journalists being on Twitter and when a meme breaks it's like a car chase just came over the newsroom radio.

I don't know why Twitter, in particular, creates such an impenetrable bubble. I think there are design reasons, but I can't say off-hand what they are specifically. Twitter's user-base problems are actually pretty well documented. It has nothing like the penetration of Facebook. Hardly anybody in the community where I live is on it. I helped run a local election campaign last year, and I was the only person, including the candidate, who was on social. We barely used Twitter at all. I don't think either of our rival candidates were on it, either.

If Twitter accurately represented the zeitgeist, Hillary Clinton would be in the White House.

Where I work, it's computers - because the marketing and 'ideas' people are all young'n'trendy and up-to-date, they forget that most of our customers are older people, less likely to have a computer for e-mails, and much less likely to have a printer for those helpful :sarcasm
efforts to get them to print out their own forms.
But, they are the 'ideas' people, and can't be told.

:ROFL: Idea people.

You sound like Bob Hoffman. And I think you're both absolutely right.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
+1 to Albedo's post as well. This is exactly right.

It's the absolute worst in journalism, and I say this as someone with a journalism degree who doesn't mind being on Twitter, personally. But I remember coming through my program in 2010ish, right around the time Twitter started getting big. The profs were still a bit skeevy about us finding sources on social media. Being from a rural area, I often covered rural issues. That, and sports. As such, I was hardly on social at all. But a lot of my colleagues got all their sources there, and now, just 6-8 years after I graduated (2012), the entire program is built around journalists being on Twitter and when a meme breaks it's like a car chase just came over the newsroom radio.

I don't know why Twitter, in particular, creates such an impenetrable bubble. I think there are design reasons, but I can't say off-hand what they are specifically. Twitter's user-base problems are actually pretty well documented. It has nothing like the penetration of Facebook. Hardly anybody in the community where I live is on it. I helped run a local election campaign last year, and I was the only person, including the candidate, who was on social. We barely used Twitter at all. I don't think either of our rival candidates were on it, either.

If Twitter accurately represented the zeitgeist, Hillary Clinton would be in the White House.
I wonder if some of what makes Twitter (in particular) so attractive to certain industry cliques is the same that makes it impenetrable (and offputting?) to outsiders. It's opaque to join and comes without instructions for its non-intuitive interface. The etiquette around following, retweeting and liking just sounds more convoluted and ridiculous each time I hear an attempt to explain it. It's like a dying country club with lots of secret handshakes and no effort made to attract new members (and when you finally get in you find out it's full of Nazi frogs asking you if you're ethnically Jewish). I suppose the bonhomie might be fun if everyone in your field is interacting through it and you can deal with the trolls, but if not ...

Yeah. There's a reason that Facebook has ~80% penetrance in most Western markets and Twitter has ~5-10%, despite us all knowing that Facebook's an all-consuming, data hoovering evil empire. It's cos it's not a pain in the arse to use and there aren't f*#&ing Nazis everywhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.