The number of commercial breaks in one episode

Bolin

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.
As someone fascinated by television writing, I often pay attention to how many commercial breaks (and how many acts) an episode has.
The big networks used to have 4 breaks in one episode (usually a teaser followed by 4 acts), but they started to switch to 5 breaks around 2004, and it is now the norm for network and basic cable shows. I find it interesting because it had a significant impact on the writing (more scenes or more mini cliffhangers, and a faster pace). To my knowledge, a very small number of channels still has 4 breaks (CBS, AMC, FX... correct me if I'm mistaken).

My question is: is there a list of somewhere that indicates how many commercial breaks there are (by tv shows or by channels)? And where can I see the evolution over the years?
I did find a few shooting scripts of some shows, where you can see how many acts they have, but I'd love to have a real overview.

Thank you.

Heskett

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure such a thing actually exists...at least, I've never seen one.

All I can tell you is keep doing what you've been doing. Make note what shows match the genre you like writing for then watch a few episodes to get an idea when the commercial breaks are.

Channels will always change when the breaks are over the years and based on need. I'd say stick to the 5 break method. It's easier to convert a 5 break script into a 4 break script than it is vice versa.

Also, be aware that the future of TV seems to be streaming channels like Hulu or Netflix. The need for "commercial breaks" as we know it is dying. So I probably wouldn't spend TOO much time worrying about it.