Why are the sidewalks in West Philadelphia so wide?

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
Google maps shows ordinary width sidewalks PLUS another sidewalk-like area between sidewalk and street. This second sidewalk looks to be about 4-6 feet wide. Anyone know what that's about?

I'm going to be visiting West Philadelphia this summer because in 1936-1938, my character becomes interested in real estate there. Any tips on what might interest her (and me) while I'm there?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
As far as places to visit, the U Penn Museum.

And you're not that far from the Philadelphia Art Museum or Boathouse Row.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
In general, building setbacks are dictated by the local zoning authority (City or County) and normally, in a downtown urban area, the sidewalk area will extend from building to street. As to what you are looking at specifically, not sure, it could be a matter of the larger concrete section was formed first from the edge of the street, then filled in to the building. That is why it will be helpful to know the specific location you are viewing.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Is it a bus lane or a cycle lane? (My very British suggestion... no idea how relevant this would be to anywhere in the USA but what you describe sounds a lot like a London bus lane.)

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
How about the sidewalk in front of house number 3327 Powelton at US-13?

The main purpose for that is to reserve width for future lane widening, but those are also utility corridors as well. If you turn around in the other direction and look at the high rise building, you will see paint markings on the sidewalk. Those are underground utility locations. It's not an uncommon practice. Go down further past the intersection, and you will see the retaining wall lines up with the row of houses.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Those look like they used to be lawns.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I think I found the reason: it appears to be part of the city's Greenway project, that started around 2002.

From http://poweltonvillage.org/profiles/greenway.html

...Clearing the way

The work is planned to start in October and be completed in the fall of 2003, according to Bob Wright, the Streets Department official overseeing the project. Once the city clears the jungle, widens the sidewalk, and landscapes the edge of the ridge, people will be able to meander the greenway from the Philadelphia Zoo to Powelton Avenue, where Drexel University's sphere of influence begins....

Last edited:

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
It may well be, however, the streets and building setbacks in that area were established prior to the 1900's.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you trying to say that the large sidewalks could've been originally built like that, back in the 1900s? If so, they definitely weren't. I know that streets, sidewalks and buildings existed back then, but from older photographs I've seen from large metropolitan cities in the Northeast, they definitely weren't built with large sidewalks like that at that time.

The OP's original question was why the sidewalks were that large, so that's all I was attempting to answer, as, I agree with them, it's very unusual to see sidewalks in the U.S. like that. Others decided to start discussing the buildings and about there possibly being lawns that existed in front of houses back then, but I wasn't getting into that because, yes, while it makes sense and is probably true, it still wasn't answering the OP's question about why the sidewalks were widened. So, I tried to find the answer, myself. I didn't say that the buildings or streets didn't exist in the 1900s, only that the article mentioned that they were planning to expand the sidewalk around 2002.

Sidewalk expansion has been only recently done more often in the U.S., due to more bicycle and pedestrian paths being built or widened, but it's not common for all towns and cities in the U.S. to do that (more often in the Northeast). It's been done more often in Europe, in countries where residents cycle to work, school, etc. because there's more of a pedestrian and cycle culture there than in the U.S. Tourists might see their cycle paths and assume they've always been built that way, originally, but that's not the case; they've gone through many iterations and been rebuilt or widened several times over the years. Residents have documented the changes throughout the years with photographs and videos.

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you trying to say that the large sidewalks could've been originally built like that, back in the 1900s? If so, they definitely weren't. I know that streets, sidewalks and buildings existed back then, but from older photographs I've seen from large metropolitan cities in the Northeast, they definitely weren't built with large sidewalks like that at that time.

The OP's original question was why the sidewalks were that large, so that's all I was attempting to answer, as, I agree with them, it's very unusual to see sidewalks in the U.S. like that. Others decided to start discussing the buildings and about there possibly being lawns that existed in front of houses back then, but I wasn't getting into that because, yes, while it makes sense and is probably true, it still wasn't answering the OP's question about why the sidewalks were widened. So, I tried to find the answer, myself. I didn't say that the buildings or streets didn't exist in the 1900s, only that the article mentioned that they were planning to expand the sidewalk around 2002.

Sidewalk expansion has been only recently done more often in the U.S., due to more bicycle and pedestrian paths being built or widened, but it's not common for all towns and cities in the U.S. to do that (more often in the Northeast). It's been done more often in Europe, in countries where residents cycle to work, school, etc. because there's more of a pedestrian and cycle culture there than in the U.S. Tourists might see their cycle paths and assume they've always been built that way, originally, but that's not the case; they've gone through many iterations and been rebuilt or widened several times over the years. Residents have documented the changes throughout the years with photographs and videos.

I have no doubt that the roadways and sidewalks have been redone numerous times since the corridor alignments have been established, but I don't find it at all odd for a wide sidewalk to be present along a major metropolitan roadway. Look at Market Street in San Francisco. You could probably land an airplane on the sidewalks along Times Square in New York.

Once the buildings are in, planners are pretty much stuck with that space to use for sidewalk and roadway. They make the roadway wide enough to accommodate the traffic they expect to have (or want to limit) and everything else is sidewalk. The area I am viewing is a downtown city street, not a suburban residential neighborhood.

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
Google maps shows ordinary width sidewalks PLUS another sidewalk-like area between sidewalk and street. This second sidewalk looks to be about 4-6 feet wide. Anyone know what that's about?

I'm going to be visiting West Philadelphia this summer because in 1936-1938, my character becomes interested in real estate there. Any tips on what might interest her (and me) while I'm there?

Well, guess what! I'm now in West Philadelphia, and the sidewalks here are no wider than ordinary US sidewalks anywhere.

Turns out, Google maps somehow makes them look wider than they are.

Thanks, everybody for trying to explain this (non) mystery to me.

*blush*