PSA: Check Your Pool Noodles for Danger Noodles

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
A good woman, to see the risk and encourage him to get to safety! A true patriot.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:What the hell, Australia.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poor danger noodle being thrown into a wall.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Ew, yuck, and the article tactfully didn't even have pictures!
Still, it seems the rules for snakes is similar to that for people: eat anything bigger than your head at your own risk.

And, it does make you wonder how many people go missing in giant-snake country that are just written off as accidents - fell into a river, etc. Or just 'ran off'.
It's only that these snakes were so bloated that they wanted to sleep it off, rather than slither off, that the unfortunate victims were found.

It's environmental destruction that does it, the snakes come out looking for food, the
same way that bears come into inhabited areas here. Those areas were peaceful woodlands when the bears went into hibernation.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If you happen to catch a glimpse of the zoo's sneaky snake, notify a staff member.

By screaming just as loudly as you can. I don't imagine there's any need to describe the snake, as I, and many others, are hoping that it's the only snake that's escaped.

Besides, this is the Bronx, which everyone's heard of, from movies, if nothing else.
The poor little guy is probably wishing he was seriously venomous by now.

And, how do they measure 'mildly' venomous? Is it on the sort of scale where a mouse or rodent is a goner but if you're an adult human you'll only get kind of sick, but in between: cats, dogs, small kids or big dogs, it's anybody's guess?:Shrug:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Boiga species are generally capable of making you feel crook, but (IIRC*) their bites aren't considered dangerous, where dangerous = fatal to healthy humans. But you really don't want them to nibble on you.

Note: Almost all my experience with this genus is with the night tiger or brown tree snake (Boiga irregularis), which is common around my place in summer. They are very cranky snakes and often get into strike position the moment they see you.

*Which I probably don't.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boiga species are generally capable of making you feel crook, but (IIRC*) their bites aren't considered dangerous, where dangerous = fatal to healthy humans. But you really don't want them to nibble on you.

Note: Almost all my experience with this genus is with the night tiger or brown tree snake (Boiga irregularis), which is common around my place in summer. They are very cranky snakes and often get into strike position the moment they see you.

*Which I probably don't.
I still have that Eastern Brown under the office. I have tried to discourage him, mostly by telling there's better food next door - be doesn't look like leaving anytime soon.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I just realised that 'don't let [an eastern brown snake] bite you' is the most redundant bit of snake-related advice since a friend, on hearing that there was a whopping great big scrub python in my garden, said, 'don't try to pick it up by yourself'.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there any part of Australia that doesn't have something dangerous slithering about?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Out of curiosity, is there any part of Australia that doesn't have something dangerous slithering about?

Er *furrows brow* no.

Oh, hang on. Lord Howe Island and Norfolk Island are snake-free.

Here's header on the NI NP page:

Norfolk Island is a very safe place to visit. There are no snakes on the island, and most of our spiders are harmless (even the big ones).